Shelter Dogs

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Shelter Dogs

Postby kb9zgb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 am

Any one had any luck with dogs from a Shelter as Hunting dogs ? Ive been kicking around getting a new Dog but cant afford a Pure bred. So it looks like a mutt puppy for me.
kb9zgb
hunter

Re: Shelter Dogs

Postby mallardhead » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:26 am

I rescued a Brittany from a Brittany Rescue org. He is the third Brittany I've owned and by far the best hunter I've ever had. He was given-up by an elderly gentleman and pro. trained. So find a rescue org. for the breed you want, read the comments by the foster parents,and you to could win the lottery like I did. Good luck !!
mallardhead
hunter

Postby howie3i6 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:41 pm

We got a rescue Lab @ Cindy's Critter Camp in Collinsville. He's pretty much just a big lug. I imagine if I would have worked with him more, it would be a different story. I blame myself not him.
howie3i6
hunter

Postby qckhd » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:19 pm

kb - pm sent
qckhd
hunter

Postby kb9zgb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:13 pm

@ qckhd got your message sent one back. sounds like a plan.
kb9zgb
hunter

Postby revlistless » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Like anytime that you are looking for a dog get as much information as you possibly can. Two out of the three of my GSP's have been adopted. Lucy was 2 years when we got her and a diamon in the rough. She had not been hunted before she came home with us, but you could tell that she just need a purpose in life and I knew (generaly) her breeding With a little work she has become a driven and proficient hunter. Fritz on the other hand was 8 years old and spent most of his life warming a recliner or riding "shot gun" in a pick up. At this point will take more effort than what it is worth to get him working.
I would not hesitate picking up shelter or rescue dog. Just be informed and know what you can offer the dog.
revlistless
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Seems each breed has it's own rescue organization. I would go that route and try and find the youngest dog you can. Some bad habits are hard to break. Whatever you choose, you are doing a could thing :thumbsup:
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby kb9zgb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Blackfeet Retrievers wrote:Seems each breed has it's own rescue organization. I would go that route and try and find the youngest dog you can. Some bad habits are hard to break. Whatever you choose, you are doing a could thing :thumbsup:

Hey thanks for the compliment Black feet.
kb9zgb
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Good not could :lol3:
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby kb9zgb » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:33 am

well Santa brought a yellow lab pup that was on creigs list . seems ok so far still getting used to his new home.
by the way trying to wrap a puppy and put it under the tree is a lot harder then it sounds.
kb9zgb
hunter

Postby buckwild » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:45 pm

kb9zgb wrote:well Santa brought a yellow lab pup that was on creigs list . seems ok so far still getting used to his new home.
by the way trying to wrap a puppy and put it under the tree is a lot harder then it sounds.

i got a christmas pup as well. I'm pretty sure she thinks her name is NO! She is learning pretty quick though. I got mine from Norbeck Kennels in Carlyle.
buckwild
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting