Hunter Etiquette????????

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Hunter Etiquette????????

Postby 1080tommy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:15 pm

I was out on The Fox River today and got very frustrated because of something that occurred as we were setting up. We got to were we put the boats in and were the first ones at the launch, and motored out into the river. We got to the spots were we wanted to set up and began setting deke's and getting the boats ready. A guy comes down the river and proceeds to set up directly across from us. Now, there are four guys with headlamps and boats with lights and there are no other boats out on the river. I thought this was kind of a dickish maneuver because there was so much other area to hunt. I do no think he would have been more than 100-120 yards away from me because he was 150 away from my friend and I would have been closer.

Now I picked up my deke's and moved down the river because I knew this was going to be close and did not want to be shooting directly at his boat. I do not think I would have hit him nor would he have hit me but we would have been close. My buddy chose to stay put. These guys first set up like that, then started shooting early. There was at least three to four minutes left by my clock and you could barely see anyway. He did not harvest anything with the first volley of shots. Then he starts shooting at birds that were 60 yards over his boat just crossing the river. I just thought this stuff was messed up and could not believe it.

I hope I am not being a d..k myself but I would have thought that this would not happen. I have come out for an afternoon out there and if somebody was on the spot I liked, I just found a new spot because there is plenty of river. Kind of what I did today. I don't know maybe I am wrong but I just thought there was more sportsmanship or etiquette or whatever you want to call it out there. I realize that it is a public river too, and I do not own it. I guess I just needed to vent just a bit because I thought this was an ignorant move and I would never have done that to somebody.

I was just wondering what the guys on this site would think??? Am I making too much out of nothing???? Seems like you guys are good sportsman and all information I have gotten from this site has been positive and worthwhile. I don't know???
1080tommy
hunter

Re: Hunter Etiquette????????

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Happens eveyry where and more on the water then in a field. Get use to it. Ironically, I bet the other hunters were thinking you were being a d**k too. Just the way this stuff happens. 100 yards isn't close, but borderline. Respectabaly 200 yards is a decent amount and then it's the battles of the spread.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Yeah I figured. I know it will happen with public water and again, I do not own it so he has every right to hunt where he wants. I guess I got spoiled with my first two seasons hunting private land in Huntley. That's what got me hooked but last year the day before early goose we lost the property. I am still lucky to be able to hunt as much as I do so for that I am grateful to at least be out there trying. He was not a good caller also, so he actually flared some birds our way. Trying to take a positive look at it.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:19 pm

100 yards, that's only 300 feet!!

Pretty sure safety zones are set at 450 feet?
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:03 pm

I agree. I am pretty sure that we were over 100 yards but not by much. My friend actually ranged him from his position and it was 152 but I was about 50 or so yards down the river and the guy was directly in front of where I set up so I was closer. I don't know. I guess I am cooled off about it now because I am tired and in the end, it is public. I just think that even if the rule is 100 yards, do you really want to go out and hunt a 2 or more mile stretch of huntable river right on top of the only two boats out there. I would not. Two reasons; I don't want to be right on top of someone and I would not do that because I would not want that done to me. In the end we moved down the river a bit and it worked out ok. I guess I was venting and wondering if I was being a b..ch about the whole thing. The fact that they were shooting before legal shooting time and birds that were extremely far from their blind passing I guess tells me all I need to know.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Come hunt the chain and that's an every week scenario last week we kicked some guys off our private property. Only to watch them move 100 yards to someone else's private property
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Well, not to be but to be....

How do we as hunters , outdoors people, champions of waterfowl, stop treating each other so poorly and with respect !

A comment not a fundamental debate.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Well said. I have often thought about the same. Kindness only goes so far with a few.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:22 pm

I know that the chain can be a busy place and I have never hunted grass lake but have heard stories. Last year I did not start going out until it got cold out and out of 10 times out, only saw three or four boats the whole time. This year the first day we went out there were 12 boats out in that area and that is only the ones we saw. I am sure there were more because the calling was so loud. Now most of those guys had stakes as did we, but there were a lot of guys in between. I just don't get it because I can't imagine if the tables were turned that this individual would like someone not only coming out after he had set decoys, but then pulling in so close. To each his own and I would just rather be farther from boats than closer to other boats. That's why I moved, figured that I would have better luck down the river and it worked out for the best. Glad I get out really early because I picked up the deke's and still had plenty of time to set up.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby ROHR23 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Try having two groups set up within 200 yards, one right in front and the other to the right of him. Forgot to mention they had the entire WFA to choose from as there was only 3 boats out. Get used to it, public ground is like this all the time.
ROHR23
hunter

Postby Undiscoveredsportsman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Haha.. You were probably south of Algonquin. Same old song and dance there. I do not hunt there anymore because of that. Not worth the headaches and unecessary pressure for a few birds. Nobody has any respect on that stretch of the river.
Undiscoveredsportsman
Newb

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting