SPLIT SEASON ?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

SPLIT SEASON ?

Postby SHOTOUT17 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:53 pm

I think maybe its time Illinois needs a split season. I know we are stuck with the seasons with the way they are for the next couple years but may be we need to think about opening at the same time of year and hunt 2 weeks, Then close for a week reopen and finish the season out. Same for all zones, What you guys think :grooving:
SHOTOUT17
hunter

Re: SPLIT SEASON ?

Postby asmythe32 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:08 pm

I think they should be moved back a week In the north and central zone and then have a week split. On a normal year you will have to break ice but the birds are staying up north longer also. The public area I hunt doesn't see good numbers until the second week of dec. then we only have a week left. Hate that. But it is what it is. I would like to be at some of these meetings that determine the zones dates and tell these guys what I feel. I know other guys feel the same.
asmythe32
hunter

SPLIT SEASON ?

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:12 pm

End of November beginning December sounds good to me..

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Well I'm all for a slit or opening later up here in the north zone I could have kill 6 limits of mallards today with all my off ducks today goose hunting over not one single duck decoy I decoyed blue bills mallards canvasbacks whistlers amazing day for ducks on the river.
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

SPLIT SEASON ?

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:49 am

justinduckman7 wrote:Well I'm all for a slit or opening later up here in the north zone I could have kill 6 limits of mallards today with all my off ducks today goose hunting over not one single duck decoy I decoyed blue bills mallards canvasbacks whistlers amazing day for ducks on the river.

I was at my spot yesterday for honkers in the north zone and we could've limited out in ducks. And had some teal fly right by...

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:48 am

Season dates are perfect for the south!!! :thumbsup:
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby SHOTOUT17 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:31 am

Maybe each zone could be voted on for its own reasons, We do need a change in the North and Central Zones, At least try it for like a two year period to see how it works . I am tired of being covered up in Ducks a week or two after the season is out ,This seams to work very well in Arkansas. :lol:
SHOTOUT17
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:48 am

It'd be fun to shoot ducks in January in the central zone . Weather is the problem . Last two seasons have been warm and a split would've worked . However a normal fall would push ducks thru by now . I'd like to try a split season for a year or two tho . Merry Christmas !
Grossy23
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Last day of duck was today, ducks are starting to show up in my fields and I'm just SW of the cooling lake...... go figure another year of them buzzing me while I try to get geese to come in.
DBrooke
hunter

Postby E MAN » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:44 pm

for a state to ever open a zone on a thanksgiving day and to close a zone on a Christmas day is just a kick in the jimmy. those days shouldn't even count towards a 60 day season. only a small percentage of the hunters can get a true days hunt out of them.\\
ps. make the central open later. nov 15ish.
E MAN
hunter

Postby joekool » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:50 am

i feel like when we opened on thanksgiving and closed end of jan that was great loved that. idk what kind of people asked for an early season... thats just dumb... we need a two week split now with this crap early season.

btw i think all duck hunting should be closed for a year just 1 year let all the pop reboost and see the better days after words thats how id do it
take your parents hunting, so you dont have to hunt your parents
joekool
hunter

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:14 am

Do the flyway regs state that if we establish splits, we have to be limited to 2 or 3 zones? If so, it would be awesome to see it broken up into a north and south zone with splits. Make the north/south boundary be I55 from St. Louis up to Bloomington or Dwight, then straight north up I39 or Rt 47 to the Wisconsin border. That way the rivers get all their early migrators and the east and south get the late migrators. The 2 splits in Arkansas make their season seem so much longer and much more successful on stale birds.
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 am

Also, southern Illinois needs to figure out how to rest birds since they winter down there. From Rend and Pyramid down to the Cache River is an absolute circus.
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:56 am

When the state offered the waterfowl meetings two years ago, I asked some questions pertaining to these issues. I was told as long as we have different zones we cannot have a split season. In a way that makes sense since the different zones should compensate for different stages of the migration. However, I asked how come Wisc, Ill, Tn, Ky, and La have a combined 13 zones and yet the Atlantic flyway has 62 for roughly the same distance of migration. I was told it was up to the Feds. I would like to say a split would be the key in Illinois, however, there will still be fussing as to when the split would be held. For instance, the northern hunters may want different days than us here in the south, just like with the zones. Another misconception of this mess is when do ducks migrate. The end of October there were so many Mallards and Pintails in the area I hunt it was startling, Yet so many say they hadn't come down yet :huh: The migration occurs over months and very seldom occurs all at once as some believe. Yes there are currently still ducks north of us, but millions have already gone past and did so a long time ago! Look at the seasons and pictures of places south of us. Those clouds of ducks didn't migrate to La from the south!! This year the season in the South Central zone hit perfect for "me" and where I hunt. Last year was very good as well. I can't speak for the North or Central zones, I'm not there. It will never be perfect for everyone. Also, a lot of times those ducks at the end of January and Febuary are ducks already migrating back through following the freeze line back to the North. Last year during conservation snow season there were thousands of Bluewings where we were hunting. Hope this helps some, but it is deeper than a lot of people think. And just because ducks aren't flying, it doesn't mean they are not in the area :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby mgerlach » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Braidwood Hunter wrote:Also, southern Illinois needs to figure out how to rest birds since they winter down there. From Rend and Pyramid down to the Cache River is an absolute circus.

not sure about rend lake but i think pryamid has plenty of refuge areas.
mgerlach
hunter

SPLIT SEASON ?

Postby xtrema13 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:58 pm

I would love to get another week in the north zone.

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:19 pm

I just wish the north and central zones could get the average opening and closing dates pushed back a week. That's all I ask for. If we could pull off a split that would be really nice though.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby SHOTOUT17 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:31 pm

I just don't see why each zone can't decide to shut down for 1 week, Then re open and finish up the season. This would still fall within the guide lines and I think help every one . Just seems like a lot of the zones miss it by 1 week, I no it would help us in the north the way the weather pattern has been for the last couple seasons :thumbsup:
SHOTOUT17
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:54 pm

We are stuck with what we've got for 3 more years . 4 zones or splits from what I understand . :huh:
Grossy23
hunter

Postby traydog14 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:01 am

I can see things never changing. I hunted a club in Southern Illinois two weeks ago, I wont mention where. I was told a story about how all the clubs in the south control the hunting seasons. Was told that in small room in Springfield is where all the outfitters (aprox 40 members) in the south zone meet and give cash to political figures in excess of $5000 to make the seasons what they want and what works best for their zone. I always heard this went on but never heard it come from the horses mouth.

I wuld love a split season by the way!!
1860 swv4f4 excel Mudbuddy sport V44
traydog14
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:59 am

traydog14 wrote:I can see things never changing. I hunted a club in Southern Illinois two weeks ago, I wont mention where. I was told a story about how all the clubs in the south control the hunting seasons. Was told that in small room in Springfield is where all the outfitters (aprox 40 members) in the south zone meet and give cash to political figures in excess of $5000 to make the seasons what they want and what works best for their zone. I always heard this went on but never heard it come from the horses mouth.

I think we should out these people. If stuff like that is happening then it will never change. This should not be a political issue it should be something that they listen to hunters about. I say out with the name and lets burn them at the stake. No one had a problem dragging foiles through the mud so y stop there? Lets get this club shut down for this crap.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby John Q Public » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:56 am

asmythe32 wrote:
traydog14 wrote:I can see things never changing. I hunted a club in Southern Illinois two weeks ago, I wont mention where. I was told a story about how all the clubs in the south control the hunting seasons. Was told that in small room in Springfield is where all the outfitters (aprox 40 members) in the south zone meet and give cash to political figures in excess of $5000 to make the seasons what they want and what works best for their zone. I always heard this went on but never heard it come from the horses mouth.

I think we should out these people. If stuff like that is happening then it will never change. This should not be a political issue it should be something that they listen to hunters about. I say out with the name and lets burn them at the stake. No one had a problem dragging foiles through the mud so y stop there? Lets get this club shut down for this crap.

Perhaps someone should raise some Cain about this.
John Q Public
hunter

Postby deathranger333 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 pm

I have my pitchfork ready....who has the torches?

asmythe32 wrote:
"I guarantee zero. Anything after that is a bonus." Jimbo from RNT
deathranger333
hunter

Postby outdoorsman76 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:15 pm

we could oust em. but it only takes the new ones a day or two to figure it out. i would love split season but illinois doesnt manage for successful hunters only hunter trips and profit.
outdoorsman76
hunter

Postby lostpup » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:42 am

outdoorsman76 wrote:we could oust em. but it only takes the new ones a day or two to figure it out. i would love split season but illinois doesnt manage for successful hunters only hunter trips and profit.

Actally Illinois manages for quality spring migration habitat. Not fall flight or profit. It is an added bennifit that we get to hunt planted refuges and other management lands.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting