SPLIT SEASON ?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: SPLIT SEASON ?

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 am

[quote="John Q Public"][quote="asmythe32"][quote="traydog14"]I can see things never changing. I hunted a club in Southern Illinois two weeks ago, I wont mention where. I was told a story about how all the clubs in the south control the hunting seasons. Was told that in small room in Springfield is where all the outfitters (aprox 40 members) in the south zone meet and give cash to political figures in excess of $5000 to make the seasons what they want and what works best for their zone. I always heard this went on but never heard it come from the horses mouth.

You mean that $5,000.00 is all it takes to move the needle on the dates, $5k ? Pardon me, I am not a wealthy man but 40 members only have to come up with less then $150.00 per person to move hunting dates?
I am most likely missing something......
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby outdoorsman76 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:05 pm

the money that pays for these areas comes from the hunters who hunt them.so if they didnt let us hunt them there would be no money to manage them. the state isnt just being nice and allowing us to hunt. without the hunters there is no managed lands.
outdoorsman76
hunter

Postby traydog14 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Weedwacker wrote:
John Q Public wrote:
asmythe32 wrote:
traydog14 wrote:I can see things never changing. I hunted a club in Southern Illinois two weeks ago, I wont mention where. I was told a story about how all the clubs in the south control the hunting seasons. Was told that in small room in Springfield is where all the outfitters (aprox 40 members) in the south zone meet and give cash to political figures in excess of $5000 to make the seasons what they want and what works best for their zone. I always heard this went on but never heard it come from the horses mouth.

You mean that $5,000.00 is all it takes to move the needle on the dates, $5k ? Pardon me, I am not a wealthy man but 40 members only have to come up with less then $150.00 per person to move hunting dates?
I am most likely missing something......

Sorry if I wasnt clear. $5000 each. $200,000 to a politician unreported and right in to his pocket. They dont care about waterfowl hunting in Chicago or what the dates are. All they are worried about is lining their pockets.
1860 swv4f4 excel Mudbuddy sport V44
traydog14
hunter

Postby redleggs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 pm

I have been duck hunting in Illinois for 43 years and have been active in duck politics since the 1980s. Yes there was a time when the duck season in Illinois was for sale and believe me it was bought ans sold several times and for a lot less money than you talked about earlier. Yes you are correct - the Williamson County boys do carry a lot of clout. Their clout has been significantly diminished by the four zones though. The four zones came about as direct fallout from the "everything is golden" scandal under Blago. One club owner in Marion was the main spokesperson for the Williamson County boys and his actions have castigated Marion south to their own little world. Hell - there for a few seasons Illinois south zone was open later than Arkansas and Louisiana. Lets just say that club owner was BURNSED!
I was present and very active in many of the meetings and public hearings that lead up to the four zones. In one infamous meeting in Mt Vernon the aforementioned club owner bucked the consensus recommendation for a veterans day week opener in the south zone in a room of about 40 people from statewide duck organizations and clubs. He publicly stated at the end of the meeting "it aint gonna happen - there will be a Thanksgiving opener." THERE WAS! He had donated 10k worth of "in kind" donations to the Blago campaign. All of this is a matter of public record at the state board of elections.
Those days are over with the four zone system. The state is represented geographically by marshy and riparian corridors AS IT SHOULD BE under this system. Riparian corridors are ice free longer and marshes freeze up first. This was taken into consideration and accounts for the irregular borders of the four zones. This maximizes hunter opportunity under season dates that have to be set each year late in the SUMMER. IDNR does not have a crystal ball. They cannot predict migration in advance. They can only rely on Natural History Survey data in hind sight. Be thankful they listened and quit whining because mother nature threw us a migration curve ball.This state state has four zones that cover almost 350 miles north to south. Sometimes you have to travel to find the ducks. If anything - you guys in the north and central zones need an earlier opener. The main thrust of this year's migration was over by Halloween. We had 130K ducks at Carlyle and Rend and surrounding areas at the opener. This was significantly higher than the five year average- So those ducks bypassed you all.
redleggs
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 am

Agree with you 100% redleggs. Very well stated. For those of you who think they need to open later, look at the counts, the ducks were here, Carlyle holding 92k the week after the opener should show you that. I always liked the thanksgiving day opener because it allowed me to hunt into january, but by that time, we had already missed a huge push of the migration. Two weeks before the old South zone opener carlyle would hold 70-90k ducks, with the early opener you are able to hunt that big push of photoperiod birds. The weather sucked this year, and caused ducks to stay put and resulted in a bunch of stale birds. If the weather patterns would have cooperated the season there would have been even better, even though Carlyle had a record year in terms of a birds per man average.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby charlie beard » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:15 pm

traydog14 wrote:I can see things never changing. I hunted a club in Southern Illinois two weeks ago, I wont mention where. I was told a story about how all the clubs in the south control the hunting seasons. Was told that in small room in Springfield is where all the outfitters (aprox 40 members) in the south zone meet and give cash to political figures in excess of $5000 to make the seasons what they want and what works best for their zone. I always heard this went on but never heard it come from the horses mouth.

I wuld love a split season by the way!!

Hey its Illinois what do you expect?
Money talks BS walks.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:52 pm

EARLIER OPENER!!??? Now, I had a great and fun season... So I don't know about where you guys are at, but I didn't see crap for Mallards in pool 13 or anywhere else I hunted till the last weekend of the season and of course after. Then of course like the last 2 years, can't keep Mallards out of the goose spread. In the 3 areas I goose hunted after the end of the northern and central duck seasons closed(2 in central and one norhtern), I almost saw more Mallards in a day flying than the whole season. I want to be able to hunt mallards in the ice, seems thats the only time I see large amounts. I know no one can predict mother nature, but when was the last time we had snow around thanksgiving?? Those cold days seem to be the best, and in the past several years, duck season hasn't been too cold other than the last week. I'm no expert, but I'd say the big part of most peoples "bad seasons" are due to the birds not getting there in time. If birds have water and can find food, why would they leave? When did northern ILL mostly freeze? NYE week, then it opened back up till this last cold snap and I could still go hunt open water today.. But no matter what happens, the weather will never play out perfect. Seasons will always start or end too early or late. So I guess after my rambling, there is no good awnser. I'm done.. :fingerhead:
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting