Des plaines ice?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Des plaines ice?

Postby ctmsnow32 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:43 am

Hey guys I was hoping someone could save me a trip to big basin. Just wondering if the launch was locked up? I was gonna head out Thursday and see if I could get into any geese. If anyone had any info it would be much appreciated.
ctmsnow32
hunter

Re: Des plaines ice?

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:17 pm

I hunt not far from there on the Kankakee and there was some ice on Saturday .

Can't you call the bar at that ramp and ask them to look out their window?

I think it is called muggies.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 pm

They can't see basin from the bar. The trailer lot has been filling in barges along the shore to extend their parking. I have never seen any ice in the marina even when there was 3" on basin to the channel markers
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby tmiedona » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:31 am

I havent seen the basin ramp ever lock up with ice and i know its not locked up now. was over 55 today. there was ice around the inside blinds on sat , 24 was iced in. im sure its worse today.
tmiedona
Newb

Postby ctmsnow32 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks for the info guys. I was curious about the smaller hand launch just little west of the marina but if the first blinds are in ice I'm assuming the launch would be too
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:33 pm

The launch on the south side /down river was wide open today. Wed.26th. It is shallow though. If you have a smaller boat,waders and a push pole your good to go.
mallardhead
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 am

That is if you can even float your boat off the trailer. IMHO rollers or tilt trailer only for any boats that can't be carried. Oh and if you have never seen basin iced over, I'll post a pic to show just how much ice it can get... And during NZ duck season
Mike Brown
herpin1579
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:33 am

This picture was taken before I realized it was worth the $12 to launch at Mug's Hideaway. It took nearly 1.5hrs to make it to the channel. We were in a vhull which sucks for breaking ice. I had two of my buddies walk on top of the ice along the boat as I would motor up and get the front 1/3 of the boat out of the water and on top. Then they would jump on the front of the boat and split the ice. Little by little we made it to the edge of the ice. This was about a week before duck season ended and we had to make it through almost 3 inches of ice. Limits in minutes though so it was worth it :thumbsup: I have used chainsaws before to get where I needed to go
Mike Brown
herpin1579
hunter

Postby tmiedona » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:39 am

I have seen the bay freeze up plenty of times. I have never seen mugss hideout ramp freeze up myself. The barge traffic keeps it open long time with the sucking of water in and out as they go bye.

Great pic of ICE.
tmiedona
Newb

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting