Crab orchard questions

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Crab orchard questions

Postby SouthernIllinoishunter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:15 pm

-Is there blind drawings on Sundays?
-Do i need to have a site permit to hunt the public
-Is drawing time an hour and a half before shooting time?
-For the drawing do you just show up sign in and wait to see what happens?
-Is there a fee to pay?

thanks
SouthernIllinoishunter
hunter

Re: Crab orchard questions

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:28 pm

SouthernIllinoishunter wrote:-Is there blind drawings on Sundays?
-Do i need to have a site permit to hunt the public
-Is drawing time an hour and a half before shooting time?
-For the drawing do you just show up sign in and wait to see what happens?
-Is there a fee to pay?

thanks

Too many variables that change all the time. Give them a call. (618) 997-3344
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:08 pm

I can answer a couple of the questions, but not all.
You must have a refuge pass to hunt anywhere on Crab Orchard land, one for your truck and if you are taking a boat one for that too. I am pretty sure they draw 7 days a week but I haven't been to the drawing in years so things could have changed. Not sure on the drawing time, best to call about that and same for the way the drawing is conducted. Used to be that you had your refuge pass, 15 bucks for your first one then 10 for each additional I believe but don't hold me to that. Then you paid 10 bucks to draw a blind. Personally I think the blinds are a crock. For ten bucks (the field blinds at least) you get four stakes in the ground with cheap burlap wrapped around them. No where to sit other than the ground or whatever you bring. Never hunted the water blinds so I don't know a thing about them.
On a side note, for those in the know. I have a couple buddies that hunt Crab fairly regularly and they swear that you can not legally shoot geese anywhere on Crab if you are not inside a blind of some sort. That just doesn't sound right to me....does anyone know if this is true?
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:09 am

The blind was in the quota zone days I believe. I've laid in the middle of the bay on ice with out layout blinds anywhere you hunt there other than when it's froze you build a blind anyway. Draw 530a at least 25-30 bucks to hunt .Draw does kill a few birds just like anywhere but there's alot better places then crab draw. There's a brochure your supposed to sign that you know regs and have with you at all times it's free. Crab has alot of potential to hold a lot of birds they just have done it.
BuckCreek
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting