ANY NEW DUCKS IN UNION CO?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

ANY NEW DUCKS IN UNION CO?

Postby jdd@jackdavislaw.com » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 am

Hey folks- want to head down next weekend, heard the big snow caused all sitting ducks on the refuge to head out- have any new ducks showed up? Thanks
jdd@jackdavislaw.com
Newb

Re: ANY NEW DUCKS IN UNION CO?

Postby derbyl73 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:51 pm

There are several ducks still around but they are totally nocturnal. The full moon and snow has made it even worse.
derbyl73
hunter

Postby jdd@jackdavislaw.com » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:53 am

Thats exactly what I figured. Hopefully, with the falling off of the full moon and this cold weather we get some new ducks and they get out during the day!
jdd@jackdavislaw.com
Newb

Postby jdd@jackdavislaw.com » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks again for the reply, if you know of anything changing in the next few days please let us know. Happy new year
jdd@jackdavislaw.com
Newb

Postby roadbildr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 am

I hunted there Saturday and Sunday 29th and 30th, Saturday was good, but Sunday everything was iced over, had permits for today and tomorrow but didn't feel like fighting the ice...haven't seen above freezing temps enough to thaw it out.
roadbildr
hunter

Postby Wigeon 2010 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 pm

When you say good,how many ducks were killed??We will be coming down next week for our annual trip.The breaking of the ice doesn't bother us..But with the warmer temps next week,maybe it won't be too thick..Just any info is helpful..As everyone knows in some of my posts,I am willing to help out any hunters with any info that I can..No secrets here..When we get back from our hunt,If anyone is interested I can let them know how things went..Thanks in advance..
Wigeon 2010
hunter

Postby roadbildr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:29 pm

we killed 8 mallards by 9am, there were only 11 kills out of that blind prior to that, we didn't stick around to see how many total for the day, there were at least 3 other groups that were done about the same time, they had not updated the kill sheets on Sunday morning

with the warmer temps I would assume there will be some open holes, there was about 4" of snow on the ground, hopefully that is all melted and give you some additional water
roadbildr
hunter

Postby quadejagger » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 am

How many stakes have water around them? Heard that they only had a dozen stakes that are huntable. any truth to that rumor. Have a permit for next week, kind of wondering what i can expect. Thanks for the heads up.
quadejagger
hunter

Postby roadbildr » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 pm

quadejagger wrote:How many stakes have water around them? Heard that they only had a dozen stakes that are huntable. any truth to that rumor. Have a permit for next week, kind of wondering what i can expect. Thanks for the heads up.

There were approx 12 when I was there 2 weeks ago, if you really need to know, give them a call before noon, you can find their number on iDNR website.
roadbildr
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:42 am

I know friday sucked.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 pm

The did a survey of southern illinois on the 14th and for some odd reason Union Co was not surveyed although all areas north south and east were. Makes me think they don't want to publicize how few ducks there are and scare the paying hunters away. :yes:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby mohnter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Hunted our lease across from Union County refuge yesterday and there were ducks all over. Saw lots of ducks and they worked very well. Lots of mallards and pintails around.
2011/2012
Mallards - 11
Shovelors - 4
Gadwalls - 16
GW Teal - 6
Bluebill - 1
mohnter
hunter

Postby Wigeon 2010 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:28 am

Reply to the survey.We think that they may not have survey because there are Whooping Cranes in the area,and since they are on the endangered list,maybe they didn't want to bother them..(Just a theory).
Wigeon 2010
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 am

I have lived a few miles from Union Co Refuge since 1980 and have never seen a whooping crane here. I did see a pair of Sandhill's about 5 years ago when goose hunting just east of Anna.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby Wigeon 2010 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:47 am

They had a pic of them at the check station,And Mark kept letting all the hunters know about them.."If you shoot one of those we are all in big trouble".Not his exact quote.
Wigeon 2010
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting