Illinois-SemiAutomatic Gun Ban???

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Postby gock5 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 pm

by gock5 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:17 pm

Any thoughts on if this is real or not? Found this on another forum.

Semi Auto Ban Coming Tomorrow
This is not fear mongering, vandermyde says Cullerton is going for the whole 9 yards tomorrow with a semi auto ban. He's hoping he can ram rod it in the lame duck session. Please call your senators tomorrow to oppose this bill. I don't have a bill number but just tell them you oppose any and all new gun control measures.
BREAKING: Illinois Bill to Ban All Modern Firearms

Posted on January 1, 2013 by Robert Farago

Press release:

“The ISRA has learned from a credible source that Illinois Senate President John Cullerton [above] will introduce a so called ‘assault weapons’ ban on Wednesday when the legislature returns for its ‘lame duck’ session. Cullerton hopes to ramrod the bill through and get it to Governor Quinn for signature by Friday. If he is successful at doing so, nearly every gun you currently own will be banned and will be subject to confiscation by the Illinois State Police . . .

“Based on what we know about Cullerton’s bill, firearms that would be banned include all semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Pump action shotguns would be banned as well. This would be a very comprehensive ban that would include not only so-called ‘assault weapons’ but also such classics as M1 Garands and 1911-based pistols. There would be no exemptions and no grandfathering. You would have a very short window to turn in your guns to the State Police to avoid prosecution.”

TTAG’s sources tell us there will be two bills: one for semi-automatic rifles, lever guns, shotguns and handguns with certain features (e.g., threaded barrels); and one for ammunition magazine capacity.

Mags would be limited to 10 rounds and owners of existing magazines holding more than 10 rounds would have to register them with the state police.

One [non-ISRA] gun guy on the front lines in the Land of Lincoln tells TTAG that the odds of the bills going through are 50 – 50. He advises gun owners both in and out of state to call Senate President Cullerton at 217 782 2000 and/or find another legislator to pester at ilga.gov.

“If gun owners around the country melt the phone lines in the next three days we can push this thing back . . . that would be a tremendous morale boost ahead of federal legislation.”
gock5
hunter

Re: Illinois-SemiAutomatic Gun Ban???

Postby qckhd » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Oh it is real!!!!! Everyone needs to call their Senator tomorrow!!!!
qckhd
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:28 am

What the he!! .? Illinois is screwed .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:22 am

I do not doubt the credibility of this source that you took it from. The forum member and the originating website to post this are legit. But, it's America. Most live in fear. IMO, shotguns will never be pulled from the hands of ethical hunters. It's a past time. Time will tell.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby dduckman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:16 am

They try to slip that one or similar through every few years, they are trying to take advantage of recent media coverage of the school shooting.

You guys can keep thinking it will never happen but with the way kids are being brought up and taught these days it is going to become a real threat soon enough.

Call and give them hell, they need to hear our side, they hear enough of the other. People in this country myself included like to keep there heads in the stand and complain about things that happen after the fact.

These dirt bag lying politician's need to realize that they are not above the rest of us and need to know they are working for us, so it is up to us to remind them.
dduckman
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:34 am

There's a law that says you can't drive your car more than a certain rate of speed on an Interstate highway.
Does that stop everyone? (no)

By that logic a law banning semi-autos or modern firearms or whatever will not keep some people from having them anyway.
The laws we have already are the most strict in the country and they don't work.
Maybe they need to make it a law that you have to follow the law?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby gock5 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:11 pm

An Update!!!!

wildfowl4444
Elite Refuge Member

From NRA!
URGENT: Illinois Senate Expected to Vote on Gun and Magazine Ban as Early as This Afternoon

If you own a semi-automatic firearm or detachable magazine, they may be banned and you could become a felon unless you act NOW
As the Illinois Senate convenes this afternoon for its Lame Duck session, anti-gun legislators led by Senate President John Cullerton and backed by Governor Patrick Quinn (D) are deceptively trying to sneak through a sweeping draconian gun and magazine ban in Springfield. In their last days as lawmakers (some were defeated for reelection and others retiring), these legislators are attempting to quietly trample on the rights of all law-abiding gun owners in Illinois. The many restrictions contained in this legislation are subject to changes, however, this latest attack on your Second Amendment rights as currently drafted would turn law-abiding owners into felons for possession of nearly all common semi-automatic firearms or detachable magazines. Not only would such a ban include classic firearms like the 1911 and common handguns like Glocks, this ban would also outlaw common hunting guns like the Ruger 10/22 and Remington 740 series.

It is imperative that you contact your state Senator IMMEDIATELY to express your opposition and continue to do so every day this week. The Lame Duck session starts today and ends on January 9, so this bill will be moving at lightning speed in both the Senate and House, with very little time to spare. At this time, it is rumored that both the semi-auto and magazine ban bills will be sent to the Executive Committee this afternoon. Please contact those members (listed below) as well as your state Senator. Your telephone calls will determine the outcome of this assault on your Second Amendment rights.

Anti-gun politicians are attempting to sacrifice your constitutional rights as a scapegoat for the criminal acts of lunatics and violence in Chicago by gangs and drug dealers. Don't let them succeed in banning your firearms or magazines as an excuse for stopping criminals from misusing them. Criminals -- by definition -- violate laws, especially gun control laws, including often: murder, rape, robbery, drug-dealing, gang violence, firearm theft, carrying concealed firearms without a license/permit, federal gun-free school zones. They do not obey gun bans, register their firearms, or get subjected to any gun control schemes (like the lone state ban on carrying concealed firearms for self-defense) that only affect and penalize law-abiding citizens like you.

The NRA-ILA will continue to send legislative updates as details become available. However, it is of the utmost importance that you act NOW to stop this gun and magazine ban. Call your state Senator and members of the Executive Committee IMMEDIATELY and express your opposition to banning firearms or magazines.

To reach the main line for the Illinois General Assembly, please call 217-782-2000.

Contact information for your state legislators can be found by clicking here.

Senate Executive Committee:

Senator Don Harmon, Chairman, (D-39)

(217) 782-8176

Senator Ira Silverstein, Vice Chairman, (D-8)
(217) 782-5500

Senator James F. Clayborne, Jr., (D-57)
(217) 782 5399

Senator Maggie Crotty, (D-19)
(217) 782-9595

Senator John J. Cullerton, Senate President (D-6)
(217) 782-2728

Senator Kimberly A. Lightford, (D-4)
(217) 782-8505

Senator Antonio Munoz, (D-1)
(217) 782-9415

Senator Jeffrey M. Schoenberg, (D-9)
(217) 782-2119

Senator Donne E. Trotter (D-17)
(217) 782-3201
Senator Dale A. Righter, Minority Spokesperson, (R-55)
(217) 782-6674

Senator William E. Brady, (R-44)
(217) 782-6216

Senator John O. Jones, (R-54)
(217) 782-0471

Senator David S. Luechtefeld, (R-58)
(217) 782-8137

Senator Matt Murphy, (R-27)
(217) 782-4471

Senator Christine Radogno, (R-41)
(217) 782-9407
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:43 pm

It is real, I am the one who posted what the OP posted here. Committe hearing starts in just a few minutes. You can go here to listen

http://www.ilga.gov/senate/audvid.asp#
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:52 pm

DRYLOK wrote:It is real, I am the one who posted what the OP posted here. Committe hearing starts in just a few minutes. You can go here to listen

http://www.ilga.gov/senate/audvid.asp#
I already have mail waiting for me at the Egypt, Arkansas post office. All I need to do is buy some propane and keep the bill...and I'm an Arkansas resident. SCREW Illinois! :mad:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:41 pm

I have heard that it has passed committee and should be voted on later this week. Seems this is very real. All semi auto weapons and pump shotguns.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:16 pm

asmythe32 wrote:I have heard that it has passed committee and should be voted on later this week. Seems this is very real. All semi auto weapons and pump shotguns.

The news update on my phone says that the senate approved it.

"An Illinois Senate committee, in a party-line vote, has approved restrictions on semiautomatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.

One measure would ban the sale of semiautomatic handguns and rifles. People who currently own such weapons could keep them, but would have to register them.

The second proposal would limit ammunition magazines to 10 or fewer rounds. Sen. Dan Kotowski, the bill's sponsor, says he wants to concentrate on the high-capacity magazines because they make assault weapons more lethal."
supr87gt
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Both bills were approved by senate COMMITTEE on party lines. Now they can go to the floor of the senate for a full vote and if passed back to the house for concurance. We got wind late tonight after the hearing and it was good news. Try to relax and get some sleep. Word is we sent a lot of receptionists home with headaches today after all the calls they got. Hee hee
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby outdoorsman76 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 pm

ok im against any weapons ban period. but i read it and cant find anything about banning pump or semi auto shotguns unless they have a pistol grip forend or attachable magazines. dont get me wrong this is not right, but i need some clarification on what really is in it.
outdoorsman76
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 pm

The article i was reading said all semi auto. Said guns such as the ar15 all the way to the ruger 10/22 colt 1911 type guns. And that was on NRA-ILA.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby USMC03-07 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:18 am

I HAVE READ THE BILL AND HERE IS WHAT I HAVE DECIPHERED... GOVERNMENT IS GOING TO SCREW WITH THE SHOOTING RANGE INDUSTRY AND THEIR WRITING CONTRADICTS THE LANGUAGE IN THE FOID ACT, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY...

(D) a semi-automatic shotgun that has any of the following:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds;

MEANING - NO TURKEY GUNS W/ THUMBHOLE STOCKS AND IF YOUR GUN HOLDS MORE THAN FIVE W/O THE PLUG IN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY IT HERE ANYMORE (SNOW GOOSE HUNTERS BEWARE)

NOTICE FOLLOWING LANGUAGE DOES NOT INCLUDE SHOTGUN...

EXEMPTION - (iv) is a rifle with a fixed tubular magazine located under the barrel that is only capable of holding rounds of ammunition placed end to end;

I WILL BE PLACING FLYERS THROUGHOUT CHICAGOLAND TO INFORM ALL OF THE ILLITERATE THUG GANGBANGERS AND FELONS TO INFORM THEM OF THE CHANGES SO THEY CAN COMPLY.
USMC03-07
hunter

Postby USMC03-07 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 am

(C-2) a semi-automatic rifle or a pistol with the
4 capacity to accept a detachable magazine, a muzzle
5 brake, or muzzle compensator;

SAY GOODBYE TO ALL PISTOLS WITH MAGS, ONLY REVOLVERS WILL BE LEGAL...

PLEASE LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD ON THIS ONE GENTS...
USMC03-07
hunter

Postby gock5 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:38 am

So...my Remington 1187 Super Mag is OK, my Remington 870 Wingmaster is OK, my Marlin P22 w/ 30 round banana clip is bad and my Taurus PT24/7 9mm w/ 17 round mag is bad (???).
gock5
hunter

Postby USMC03-07 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 am

Any body know a way or website to find out how his/her senator voted? I am in a Republican ran district but when I asked the secretary if my senator knew which way he was voting she couldn't say.
USMC03-07
hunter

Postby gock5 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:23 am

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/votehis ... f/src.html

then type in the Bill number.

It hasn't come to a full vote yet, just the committee which voted along party lines 6-4 for both bills.
Last edited by gock5 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
gock5
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 am

only the senate committee has voted so far not the entire senate. I am not sure what time they are voting butI will see if I can find a link for everyone.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 pm

asmythe32
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Just read that they didn't get enough support for a vote!

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby gock5 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

FYI

Just talked to our local paper's political reporter that covers the General Assembly. He still doesn't think they'll have enough votes for the semi-auto ban bill to pass after the new assembly takes their seats. However, he said that regardless of how flawed the ammo ban bill may be, that they may have enough votes for that.
gock5
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:02 pm

I have also heard that there wasn't enough support to present it today. I guess they will be in session on Sunday, and it probably will not be presented then either.

Looks like it will be on hold until sessions start in February at the earliest.
WendallMan
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting