Sunday Funday 2 Man Limit

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Sunday Funday 2 Man Limit

Postby baseball_guy_99 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:47 am

Headed out yesterday morning with a friend to do a little shooting. We got to the lake and sure enough, someone was already setup in the spot that we had wanted to hunt. So we headed toward the back of the lake to the mouth of a smaller cove. We found a shallower point and set up.

At 6:25am we had 100+ mallards on the water about 100 yards to our left (shooting time was 6:48). The birds kept piling in! At 6:40 we probably had 200+ birds within 150yards of us. At 6:45 another group on the lake shot...all the birds got up and kept going to the left. We didn't even get to shoot at the birds that were there.

But little by little we whittled at our limit. Most of them are gadwall, a few shovlers, and the last bird of the day was a green head.

But I'm still disappointed in myself. We had a pair of buffleheads come buzzing down the lake. I picked out the drake and knocked it down (I reaaaaaallllllyyyyy want to have one of these mounted and this is the 1st one I have had within shooting range). Well it hit the water and dove under immediately...never to be seen again. We searched for that bird for about an hour!

I have been hunting for 7 years now and this is the first limit I have ever shot!

photo(82).JPG
baseball_guy_99
hunter

Re: Sunday Funday 2 Man Limit

Postby hunter69 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:16 am

Dont feel bad I've only limited out 3 times on ducks and 4 times on specks and canadians. Had my best day this season yesterday on the lower ohio. Got 2 mergansers and 2 woodies. That makes 7 ducks total for the year for me. No geese yet. Light season will be in when i get off work so hopefully will get some then. Good luck
hunter69
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:17 am

Dont know what your shooting time is but if its like ours 30mins before sunrise. You shouldve been shooting at 6:38!
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby baseball_guy_99 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:33 am

According to the sunrise table I looked at, sunrise was 7:18.

It sucks to say but even if the sunrise was earlier...it was cloudy and the place we were hunting, you couldn't see to shoot at 6:40.
baseball_guy_99
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting