Goose Migration

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Goose Migration

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:51 pm

How many more years do we have until geese completely quit migrating to IL?? Stories of guys in Minnesota killing geese in 40+ inches of snow and resident geese up north screwing up the migration pattern..... I fear the end is near and we will be stuck hunting grubby grass-eating locals from September to January every year.

Btw, the reverse migration is already happening here....first warm day and they bug out.
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Re: Goose Migration

Postby hunter69 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Thats what i hunt every yearjust locals. Ive been seeing everyone putting alot of canadian decoys up for sell around me.
hunter69
hunter

Postby jimkoz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Did not pull out my big feet yet. Looking as if I won't have to.Geese in the northern part of Il. Nothing south of 80.Braidwood is going to be another Southern IL.
jimkoz
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Welcome to the club!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby jimkoz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:32 pm

Looks like even the geese want to move out of Illinois. Can't blame them.
jimkoz
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:24 pm

We have geese here like I have never seen before.
No reason for them to move.
Suppose to be in the 50s Fri.

Global warming. :huh:
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Years ago I met a guide around Braidwood who said the geese will dry up one day. I never believed him. It's pathetic at best right now. It's a mockery around Braidwood. Pointless to even wake up to go out. I got a report two nights ago from a guide in WI who predicted the reverse was well under way and they were slaying geese. Northern zone still has geese and plenty of ducks, but I noticed on Sunday evening the numbers were decreasing. I recently read a long time club around Braidwood reported their worst duck harvest since inception and, to go along with that, I am sure Braidwood Lake will report it's worse number ever on top of last year record setting low. The clubs around the lake have to be suffering. Their business is most likely shot after last season and now this season. My Uncle being a member to one of them never hunted the club, but went to Canada and Southern IL all season. Hopefully the geese won't be a past time that we all remember down the road. Maybe I should take up bow hunting deer. No thanks!
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:24 pm

Don't quote me please but remember an article I think in du or delta on how the ducks and geese have moved and stayed north of the traditional area in Canada.

They state due to the hunter pressure and 100 tines the hunters hunting that region over the last 10-20 years since it has been made out to be the greatest place on earth ( with out getting on a plane) to hunt geese and ducks.

The circle of life!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:43 pm

charlie beard wrote:We have geese here like I have never seen before.
No reason for them to move.
Suppose to be in the 50s Fri.

Global warming. :huh:

Yea we're covered in geese around here. The hunting was great around Christmas and New Years because it was cold so there were thousands of migrators moving through and a lot of them have stopped here since it got warm but I still see thousands of geese that have moved in irregardless of the warm weather. Maybe you guys are hunting the wrong places or something :huh:
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Maybe the clubs around Braidwood will fold up and it can go back to like it used to be. :hammer:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:19 pm

@Luie. Braidwood isn't the wrong area. Lol. Well, right now it is. A club harvest of 1,200-1,500 geese wasn't unusual.

@BG. I agree. Clubs' pressure are insane on the weekends. At least they used to be. Move em hout except two of them.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Fieldhnter2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm not too concerned about the geese as we are COMPLETELY covered up right now and I'm thankful the season goes til next Thursday. The odd migration the last two years have been the ducks. It was by far the worst season I can ever remember but the migration of ducks right now is simply unreal. It took the dog a few trips out to relax when sixty ducks at a time were swarming the spread and we weren't shooting but he's now learning to relax and enjoy the show with the rest of us. It goes in cycles and I guess were just gonna have to have some patience.
Fieldhnter2
hunter

Postby BEDB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Braidwood Hunter wrote:How many more years do we have until geese completely quit migrating to IL?? Stories of guys in Minnesota killing geese in 40+ inches of snow and resident geese up north screwing up the migration pattern..... I fear the end is near and we will be stuck hunting grubby grass-eating locals from September to January every year.

Btw, the reverse migration is already happening here....first warm day and they bug out.

I think that was last year. I personally havent seen a goose since '97 but i heard stories of someone spotting a goose on the illinois river just outside of town in '08. I think it made the paper.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby Deadeye » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 am

The new dnr count was not very impressive
Jig is my green headed corn grinder finder.
Deadeye
hunter

Postby 1dktrkr » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 am

biscuitsandgravy wrote:Maybe the clubs around Braidwood will fold up and it can go back to like it used to be. :hammer:

Tis the cycle of things! Birds dry up for 2 - 10 years and it will go back to the old hand shake and a Thank You to earn permission. Also, only the true hunters will continue the game! :yes:
1dktrkr
hunter

Postby artedog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:44 pm

wow you guys crack me up. I grew up on Rend Lake, started goose hunting when I was 15 in 1975. I remember watching geese pour off the lake to feed, from 7 am to noon by the thousands. Rend would hold close to 100,000 geese, Crab orchard would have 120000 + and you could literally follow the birds flying from one refuge to another. I can remember hunting Rend, then heading out to Crab Orchard to shoot since they didn't stop until 3 and you had to finish at Rend by 1. You want to talk about patterns changing!
artedog
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:37 pm

artedog wrote:wow you guys crack me up. I grew up on Rend Lake, started goose hunting when I was 15 in 1975. I remember watching geese pour off the lake to feed, from 7 am to noon by the thousands. Rend would hold close to 100,000 geese, Crab orchard would have 120000 + and you could literally follow the birds flying from one refuge to another. I can remember hunting Rend, then heading out to Crab Orchard to shoot since they didn't stop until 3 and you had to finish at Rend by 1. You want to talk about patterns changing!

X2, I haven't seen over 100 canadas total all season! Used to be a million and a half canadas in southern illinois, now what?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 pm

artedog wrote:wow you guys crack me up. I grew up on Rend Lake, started goose hunting when I was 15 in 1975. I remember watching geese pour off the lake to feed, from 7 am to noon by the thousands. Rend would hold close to 100,000 geese, Crab orchard would have 120000 + and you could literally follow the birds flying from one refuge to another. I can remember hunting Rend, then heading out to Crab Orchard to shoot since they didn't stop until 3 and you had to finish at Rend by 1. You want to talk about patterns changing!

This is exactly what I'm talking about. On a way bigger scale than bwood or northern IL or western IL ... the patterns of geese have changed everywhere. Geese pouring off a refuge from 7 am to noon is a rare occurrence now. Munch on grass till 4 pm and fly at sunset on 25-35 degree days is the new standard. Geese are adapting to a grass diet as the resident honks have taught them. As our early seasons continue to get better each year, it has coincided perfectly with annual decreases in late season migrations. Geese are figuring out that they don't need to migrate.

Fieldhnter2 wrote:I'm not too concerned about the geese as we are COMPLETELY covered up right now and I'm thankful the season goes til next Thursday. The odd migration the last two years have been the ducks. It was by far the worst season I can ever remember but the migration of ducks right now is simply unreal. It took the dog a few trips out to relax when sixty ducks at a time were swarming the spread and we weren't shooting but he's now learning to relax and enjoy the show with the rest of us. It goes in cycles and I guess were just gonna have to have some patience.

I am jealous that you aren't concerned about the goose migration yet. I bet they felt the same way around Horseshoe 30-40 years ago, Union County and Crab 20 years ago, and bwood just 10 years ago. As the wintering grounds continue to recede, how much longer till northern IL dries up and Horicon or Minnesota are the furthest south that migrators will go?
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Postby sureshot 612 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 pm

we have all had bad years ,also there are so many sub-divisions that keep birds all year round . there is no need for the birds to move ,there is one area that i work at that has at least 5-8 banded birds not to mention all the other ones that block traffic all year round , i should post some pics ,it will never be what it was so just enjoy what you have. i took this year off and i don't think i missed much . and with snow or no snow ,ponds in a new sud division, wind mills south of braid wood, land loss or just no where to hunt, I'm still a hunter .i have had 3 straight years of my boat getting over a 100 birds in a season takin a break was priceless, till my next post SS612 out.
8-mallard
3-gadwall
7-Bluebill
3-GW Teal
1-Smilen Hollywood
Just read it .
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:53 pm

sureshot 612 wrote:we have all had bad years ,also there are so many sub-divisions that keep birds all year round . there is no need for the birds to move ,there is one area that i work at that has at least 5-8 banded birds not to mention all the other ones that block traffic all year round , i should post some pics ,it will never be what it was so just enjoy what you have. i took this year off and i don't think i missed much . and with snow or no snow ,ponds in a new sud division, wind mills south of braid wood, land loss or just no where to hunt, I'm still a hunter .i have had 3 straight years of my boat getting over a 100 birds in a season takin a break was priceless, till my next post SS612 out.

Yeah what he said. I think some people sit around and think about it too much. The birds are somewhere, get out and find them. My group has shot 50+ something hoonkers since NYE over water. This season has been fun. I've been fortunate enough to hunt from braidwood to the mighty Miss river and several places in between and south with no complaints. With only 2 more weekends left in the central zone the only thing I'll have to look foward too is the early walleye bite then spring smallies till sept. None of it's rocket science, like Nike says, "Just do it". :beer:
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:07 pm

No Braidwood hunter is 100% correct. Canada Goose migrations over just the last couple years have been substantially less. I think that these last two may be more of a fluke, but you are definitely on to something when you talk about geese turning to grass, and "sticking it out" in areas that they shouldn't be. That area around crab's economy was destroyed when the geese stopped moving down, and if we ever see them start going back there it would be a miracle, personally I don't every see it happening, although I hope like heII it does.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby sureshot 612 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:29 pm

look at last week it was 50+ no snow or cold ,they dont need to move ,and with only a few havin a good year that means a whole lot of breeders for next year. i hear the fall flight for next year is going to be off the chart :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: ,i do enjoy sitting on the cough instead of shoveling snow
8-mallard
3-gadwall
7-Bluebill
3-GW Teal
1-Smilen Hollywood
Just read it .
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:45 pm

gearhead80 wrote:
sureshot 612 wrote:we have all had bad years ,also there are so many sub-divisions that keep birds all year round . there is no need for the birds to move ,there is one area that i work at that has at least 5-8 banded birds not to mention all the other ones that block traffic all year round , i should post some pics ,it will never be what it was so just enjoy what you have. i took this year off and i don't think i missed much . and with snow or no snow ,ponds in a new sud division, wind mills south of braid wood, land loss or just no where to hunt, I'm still a hunter .i have had 3 straight years of my boat getting over a 100 birds in a season takin a break was priceless, till my next post SS612 out.

Yeah what he said. I think some people sit around and think about it too much. The birds are somewhere, get out and find them. My group has shot 50+ something hoonkers since NYE over water. This season has been fun. I've been fortunate enough to hunt from braidwood to the mighty Miss river and several places in between and south with no complaints. With only 2 more weekends left in the central zone the only thing I'll have to look foward too is the early walleye bite then spring smallies till sept. None of it's rocket science, like Nike says, "Just do it". :beer:

You are completely missing the bigger picture.
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 pm

sureshot 612 wrote:look at last week it was 50+ no snow or cold ,they dont need to move ,and with only a few havin a good year that means a whole lot of breeders for next year. i hear the fall flight for next year is going to be off the chart :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: ,i do enjoy sitting on the cough instead of shoveling snow

With the liberal limits in Canada, and NoDak recently going to a 15 honker limit per day for the whole month of September..... I really hope all those juvies can dodge some bullets up north.
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:11 am

But, and there is a but, Southern IL has been getting Snows to mirgate now, which is off setting the loss from the Canada migration. Still it's not replacing the revenue lost for the lcoal economy.

BraidwoodHunter's theory is perfectly stated.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting