EARLY SEASON POLL

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

SHOULD WE CONTINUE HAVING THE EARLY GOOSE SEASON

Poll ended at Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:53 am

YES, STOP IT FOR GOOD
17%
NO, LETS KEEP KILLIN' EM
83%
QUIT IT FOR A FEW YEARS AND LET THE NUMBERS INCREASE
No votes

Total votes : 12

EARLY SEASON POLL

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:53 am

SHOULD WE CONTINUE HAVING AN EARLY GOOSE SEASON IN ILLINOIS OR SHOULD WE TRY TO GET THE BIRD NUMBERS UP.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:41 am

Dam tree huggin hippies, The local population is fine, keep the slayin goin!!!!
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:44 pm

I'M NOT SAYING I'M AGAINST IT. THERE ARE A FEW GUYS I WORK WITH THAT ARE AVID HUNTERS WHO WANT TO STOP THE EARLY SEASON. I AM JUST WONDERING WHAT OTHER PEOPLES THOUGHTS ARE.

I'M FAR FROM A BEING A TREE HUGGER. I AM AS RIGHT WING AS THEY COME.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:40 am

There are more geese around here this year than there has ever been. 90% of the people i have talked to that have geese on thier ponds HATE them!! Most people want them shot off thier ponds. I dont think there is that many people that even hunt the early.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:21 am

The population, can more than handle what were are killing.
Keep on, keeping on...wooohoooo :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:37 am

actually that's the whole idea of a nuisance season. The only geese that the USFW care about are the MVP. We aren't shooting nearly as many of those geese anymore and isnstead are shooting locals and giants. That is why we will not have a quota for the next 5 years. The idea of a nuisance season is to kill the local geese as they are not part of the MVP.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby Woody27 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:44 pm

DRYlok is right. Mossberg I know you're just taking a poll but you should tell your friends to go to US fish and wildlife website and read the final rule document on their home page under hunting link from Aug10. The early season is here to stay that is fact and not only that they are going to try and kill more geese than ever before over the next few yrs. There will be some more opportunities but the worst part there will be a lot of geese killed by DNR. Shaking eggs ect. The problem with nuisance season is a lot of the geese that we kill aren't really a nuisance to anyone and unless you hunt or have golf course birds or hunt in corp parks the geese that create the so called "hazard" never get touched they are too smart. In 10 years they plan to kill 1 MILLION geese. In writing from Us FWS. By many means. increased limits, and active management.

Anyone that lives on a residential lake may have had probs with geese and may have alse had the dnr do a goose roundup in the early summer when geese where molting where they ship them of to another state. Now US FWS has given authority to the states that next yr instead of the goose roundup it will likely be the goose slaughter after they round them up. The tree huggers have nothing to do with this the US FWS has this in writing Take a look it's worth the read.

So enjoy it while it lasts. IMHO the huntable numbers will really continue todrop and the geese that seek refuge in places like Millenium park and the lakefront will continue to grow like it does now.
Woody27
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:21 am

Woddy,
Wow I hadn't heard about some of the things you talked about. I can't imagine the DNR or USFWS shaking eggs! I went to the website but I didn't find the exact link you spoke of. Can you post that link for us to read since you know where it is? Also I didn't follow you at the end when you said enjoy it while it lasts. Do you mean enjoy goose hunting while it last because we are going to kill them all?
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby Woody27 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:21 am

I'll post the link. I was being somewhat sarcastic about enjoy it while it lasts I don't really think were going to kill them all. But, the stuff I wrote about is true. They will be culling birds now instead of relocating and shaking eggs in certain areas. I think as they continue to try and kill more and more "resident" Nuisance" geese it will hurt the numbers overall and it could really huirt the huntable numbers in a few yrs hence teh comment enjoy it while it lasts.

Look at the huge increase in coyotes numbers in residentail areas that can be attributed to more and more geese and their eggs in these areas.

There was a trib article about how the coons, and yotes where hurting the res goose population. Yet apparently not enough since the FWS has gioevn control to the states now

My whole thing is I doubt we really kill many geese that are a "nuisance" to anyone when we hunt except those who hunt golf course birds. the geese that bother the corp parks stay there most of the time. Link to follow

We'll see how it turns out short term I think it may mean more hunting opportunities for us longer term who knows
Woody27
hunter

Postby Woody27 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:23 am

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/fedreg/mgbhr.html

Click on the 8/10 doc final rule on managing res goose population
Woody27
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:37 pm

Man no offense but i highly doubt the DNR is going out and killing the resident geese just because they think there are too many of them. I'm sure they have done there homework and realize the consequences of what they do. And just from personal experience there are A LOT of res. geese in Illinois, not as many in the southern part of the state but up north there's a ton of them.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby Woody27 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:01 pm

No offense taken and I agree there are a lot of them. But, read the link document I posted it wasn't soemthing I imagined. The FWS and DNR in several states including IL are going to begin using more aggressive measures to control resident geese and that means killing them outside of hunting, that is a fact in writing from FWS. Maybe in small amounts, maybe large, who knows but it's going to happen whether we like it or not.

Maybe it's necessary and sure it will be selective and controlled the only reason I brought it up was to inform people who responded to the poll regarding th early season and whether or not we should have it that the FWS not only made it no longer selective for a state but a decison they can make on their own and also gave more liberal cull tactic privleges to the states rather than solely a fws decision as it has been for 40yrs.

In some areas they may allow unplugged guns, electronic calls ect for canadas not just snows. They may shake eggs they can give famers crop damage permists just like for deer. Several options

Sorry to everyone if this causes a stir just trying to inform the hunting community what is going on with the wildlife mgrs that control our seasons that we cherish.
Woody27
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting