What happens?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

What happens?

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 pm

We were sitting around the table at the hunt club over the weekend. One of the fellas brought up a topic. What happens to you and your guns, if you loose your FOID "privileges"? I think it's crazy that we have them in the first place, but that's just me. Would you have to get them out of your house?
My wife has a FOID card. It doesn't matter what vehicle either of us drive, I'm sure there's ammo floating around in all three of them. I wanted her to be legal. So, if I lost mine, there would still be a FOID holder in the house.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Re: What happens?

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 pm

The way I see it is, if you lose your privileges but your wife still has hers you would still have a valid foid in the home which would give her the right to have firearms and ammo in the home. If you were to transport either she would have to be with you or a friend that has a foid. If you lose your foid privileges odds are you wouldn't pass a background check to buy a firearm and in turn you wouldn't legally be able to possess one.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 pm

As long as the person without the foid isn't in possession of firearm or ammo your good to go. Provided you dont have a felony or on Probation for a crime.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:47 pm

I mistakenly put my wife in this example. Single guy, living alone, looses his foid. What happens?
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 pm

I had this happen back in 09. some of my cop buddies told me to have a friend or relative with a foid hold on to them during the time of my probation. And if i got caught with a firearm or ammunition in my possession id probably lose the foid for a long time. A misdemeanor is enough to temporarily lose the foid.

Sfd714
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:I mistakenly put my wife in this example. Single guy, living alone, looses his foid. What happens?

When he gets back home he is breaking the law. No FOID, No guns in the house.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby 1quacker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 pm

Well I watched 6 cops surround my neighbors house one morning going to seize his guns after a domestic dispute that happened a few days earlier. I am pretty sure his wife had a foid but the guns were out of the house until they got the "never happened " incident over with in the court system. It was quite the site.
1quacker
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Sfd714 wrote:As long as the person without the foid isn't in possession of firearm or ammo your good to go. Provided you dont have a felony or on Probation for a crime.

As the wife story, being in possession isn't just on person, but also within reach. So, the wife has a F.O.I.D. and you don't with a firearm within reach I would beg for mercy. If you have a felony, on probation and/or a parolee, your F.O.I.D. would be revoked.

Sfd714 wrote:Some of my cop buddies told me to have a friend or relative with a foid hold on to them during the time of my probation.

Good advice. Some police departments will enter guns into evidence until F.O.I.D. status is back to valid. But, I wouldn't go this route.

1quacker wrote:Well I watched 6 cops surround my neighbors house one morning going to seize his guns after a domestic dispute that happened a few days earlier. I am pretty sure his wife had a foid but the guns were out of the house until they got the "never happened " incident over with in the court system. It was quite the site.

Police or the "state" can't just take your F.O.I.D. privileges away without cause. There is more to the story on this. Either there was an Order of Protection that was served and there to recover the firearms or the police received information that the neighbor was a threat to himself with a firearm.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:We were sitting around the table at the hunt club over the weekend. One of the fellas brought up a topic. What happens to you and your guns, if you loose your FOID "privileges"? I think it's crazy that we have them in the first place, but that's just me. Would you have to get them out of your house?
My wife has a FOID card. It doesn't matter what vehicle either of us drive, I'm sure there's ammo floating around in all three of them. I wanted her to be legal. So, if I lost mine, there would still be a FOID holder in the house.

As far as I know the only way you could lose your Foid card is a Felony.
DWI does not count unless you have had three in a certain peroid of time and convicted or a wreck and a death and you are at fault and convicted of wreckless homicide.
Even breaking the wildlife laws it has to be a Felony.
Someone correct me if wrong.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:28 pm

If you get put on Probation or court supervision for a misdemeanor you lose foid privileges for that time.

Sfd714
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Sfd714 wrote:If you get put on Probation or court supervision for a misdemeanor you lose foid privileges for that time.

Are you sure about this?
I have a friend that has been on Probation for fighting a misdemeaneor for the last six months.
He still has six months to go.
He still has his Foid card.
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Yes. I got Minor drinking and zero tolerance ticket back in 09 and got put on court supervision for 6 months. And right in my paper said i could not possess a firearm or ammunition for the time i was on court supervision.

Sfd714
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Sfd714 wrote:Yes. I got Minor drinking and zero tolerance ticket back in 09 and got put on court supervision for 6 months. And right in my paper said i could not possess a firearm or ammunition for the time i was on court supervision.

I still had foid card in my pocket but my papers said i couldn't have a gun.

Sfd714
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Sfd714 wrote:
Sfd714 wrote:Yes. I got Minor drinking and zero tolerance ticket back in 09 and got put on court supervision for 6 months. And right in my paper said i could not possess a firearm or ammunition for the time i was on court supervision.

I still had foid card in my pocket but my papers said i couldn't have a gun.

Ok gotcha.
charlie beard
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Not always the case. A judge might have used a different sentencing with you, hence, you were convicted of a crime. A misdemeanor is not a guaranteed revocation. A judge could have sentenced you to work at A.A. for a month if he/she wanted to.

Sfd714 wrote:If you get put on Probation or court supervision for a misdemeanor you lose foid privileges for that time.

So, if what you are saying is true, if I was convicted of stealing a role of toilet paper from a grocery store (misdemeanor retail theft conviction), I would lose my F.O.I.D. privilage. :hammer: Not quite.

The Illinois State Police will revoke an individual’s FOID card if the individual:
• is under indictment for a felony
• has been convicted of a felony
• is a fugitive from justice
• is a controlled substance and/or narcotics user or addict
• has been a patient in a mental institution in the past five years
• has been discharged dishonorably from the armed forces
• is the subject of an Order of Protection or a crime involving domestic violence
• has renounced U.S. citizenship or
• is an alien who is illegally or unlawfully in the U.S.

An individual possessing a revoked FOID card will receive notification to return the invalid card to ISP. The individual, who has been determined by the ISP to be ineligible to possess or acquire firearms, may appeal this decision.

Brushing up on the Firearm Owner's Identification Card Act here http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39 might help if you want to read dry law.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 pm

True story

Sfd714
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 am

This is something we need to clean up after we get done with carry. If someone loses their foid privalege that does not give cause to curtail the rights of the other people who live in the home. Sadly right now it does
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:26 am

It's obvious that the current Illinois government, want's to disarm us. Unfortuinately for them the second is there to protect our gun rights. I also see that the public relations push that the antis are doing is working. If I am to beleive the recent polls, %56 of americans are in favor of magazine restrictions and AWB. Compare that to %47 just after the Conn. thing.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby chasinmallards » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

The accessibliity part is the important part. If you lost your FOID and the wife didn't, she could keep firearms in the home. They just need to remain inaccessibile to the non-FOID family member. This is easily accomplished with a gun safe. Sure you might know the combo, but they can't prove it. You just say that the non-FOID holders don't know the combo to said safe. They are now inaccessible to the evil (haha) non-FOID holder.
chasinmallards
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm

or take for instance the gangbangers in Chicago......nothing happens..........business as usual....shooting, robbing, raping etc. Of course these are not the types we must disarm......it's those damn law abiding citizens who will be resisting the latter stages of hope n change and the fundamental transformation of America into Commieland.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:55 am

if you are an adult living in a household that has firearms, you need to have a foid. a good friend of the family commited suicide with an old pistol a year or two ago. his wife got fined for not having a foid because there was a gun in the house. didnt even matter that she didnt know about it. :no: i hate this state. :help:
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:45 pm

If I were to eat a bullet. The police would ticket my wife for not having a FOID despite my body having one in the back pocket of my jeans. They'd take all the guns and it would be over. Just like that. Even if someone else shot me.

Here's the kicker.
In Illinois it is illegal to use deadly force to protect yourself or property. UNLESS YOU ARE A POLICE OFFICER. THEN YOU CAN SHOOT DOGS THAT GROWL AT YOU.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Sfd714 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:34 pm

aunt betty wrote:If I were to eat a bullet. The police would ticket my wife for not having a FOID despite my body having one in the back pocket of my jeans. They'd take all the guns and it would be over. Just like that. Even if someone else shot me.

Here's the kicker.
In Illinois it is illegal to use deadly force to protect yourself or property. UNLESS YOU ARE A POLICE OFFICER. THEN YOU CAN SHOOT DOGS THAT GROWL AT YOU.

My buddy is 16 his moms boyfriend took one of his guns ate the bullet. Didn't get any guns taken away and got offered the gun back. Mom didn't have foid and boyfriend didn't either. Slightly different case.

Sfd714
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting