Pond Fish Stocking

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Pond Fish Stocking

Postby luie b » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Ok, I need to settle an argument here. We just built a pond this past fall over here in Hancock County. It's about 1.5 acres and about 17 foot deep in the deep part of the pond. My dad keeps saying we need to stock it as soon as possible in March but the pond isn't even quite filled up yet, has about 4 foot to go. The water is muddy and since the dirt was broken in late November there are no plants or anything growing in this thing. I told him I would at least wait a few months or until next year to stock it so the aquatic vegetation can get established so the fish will have something to live off of. And I told him we need to put Christmas trees in it too so they have good cover to live in. But he still thinks we need to just load it up full of bluegill and bass here in a month and I guess he thinks the fish will just thrive by just being in water. When would be a good time to stock it with bluegills and largemouths?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Re: Pond Fish Stocking

Postby waterfowler9 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Contact the IL DNR they will stock the pond for free or very low cost for new ponds. If it is an existing you will be charged per fish. The will give you different fish times of the year. Typically bluegill and catfish the first year and bass the second year. For smaller ponds they recommend not stocking Crappie due to over population.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Yea people tell me crappie are bad ideas for ponds less than 4 acres but everybody in my family keeps saying, "stock crappie, it'd be fun to stock crappie!" And the answer is yes, I like catching crappie too but I also want a good pond. I don't intend on putting catfish in there because they just don't interest me at all really in a pond. Don't get me wrong, I am a catfishing addict but if a guy wants to go catfishing go to the Mississippi, not a pond. The river is the real deal and that's where I believe it separates the boys from the men.
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:16 am

If you decide to go with the crappie, you may need to have something else to keep the population in check. Check out the link below you may want to give them a call and talk to them. They are a little far from you but they maybe able to give you some better answers.
http://www.hbpondmanagement.com/index.html
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 am

It is my understanding that the "free" stocking by DNR (which was actually $26.00 plus $1.00 per acre) is a victem of budget cuts. Unfortunately, one of the many vacant districts includes your county. I don't know who is assigned to cover that vacant county. You might try calling the Division of Fisheries in Springfield, 217-782-6424.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 am

I thought you wanted to start with vegetation, then baitfish, and after they are established you'd then put in the game fish.

Now, if you stock the fish, they are yours. If the state puts them in, then all the rules apply. Game wardens can come on and check you out.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Yea I'm thinking we'll just buy them. All we need to do now is cut the trees to put in for cover, wait for the dirt to kinda settle a bit in the pond, and stock a few fish this spring. I'm thinking we're going to feed them this year though just to make sure. My dad wants to stock this spring so I'm not going to stop him but if it doesn't take then I'll be the one who says I told you so... :lol3:
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Postby Deadeye » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:35 am

Don not stock crappie,way to small.
Jig is my green headed corn grinder finder.
Deadeye
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting