Pit Heating Advice

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Pit Heating Advice

Postby DetectDave » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:08 pm

Greetings Fellas;
I'm loooking for a bit of advice here and thought I would pick yer brains. We just got done burying a 20' x 8' steel tank w/ welded shooting ports. We are reconstructing the interior and running electric to it. My peers tell me (and for once they make sense) that propane is not a good heating source due to it being heavier than air and the potential problems of unburnt fuel collecting in the bottom of the pit. Next thing ya know, the old Kool filter King becomes the wick for a coupla crispy critters. Does anyone have any suggestions about our most efficient heat source? We have considered kerosene heaters but the residue is of a bit of concern. Electric is also a thought but can run into some serious coinage. I don't particularly need heat being somewhat hot blooded, but my pit partners do.

Thanks for your input
Big D
DetectDave
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:47 pm

Part of waterfowl hunting is getting wet and cold, tell them to buck up or go home.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:56 pm

haha well said brother
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby Harley Dave » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:15 pm

More beans! ------- Just be careful of open flame!
Your life, liberty, and property are never safe when the Legislature is in session. M.Twain
Harley Dave
hunter

Postby rtbdrake » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:12 pm

Dave Just last night at work had a old salt tells us they would fill a coffee can full of sand then add gas . He said it would last the entire time they stood watch .If you kick it over you could be in trouble .
If you shoot it you should eat it !!!!
rtbdrake
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting