duck blind at chain o lakes

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

duck blind at chain o lakes

Postby JayBadgley » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:40 pm

IDNR site very vague on rules of the blind. What materials are allowed, and what seems to be the best method on buiding a duck blind, is it better to buy on already built(if money allows) or best to go to Home Depot,lowes,menards etc. and pick up the materials. would be first time building a duck blind. any input is greatly apprecciated.
Thanks
Jay badgley
JayBadgley
hunter

Re: duck blind at chain o lakes

Postby 1quacker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:30 pm

I thought the Chain o lakes blinds were drawn every year at the end of July ?
1quacker
hunter

Postby JayBadgley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:22 pm

blinds are drown every yr in july just trying to get an idea of what to expect. and getting prepared for nxt yr. from my understanding you get a couple of guys together and go in on the drwaing of the blinds and if your name is drawn you have to build your blind and pick it up at the end of the season. ive looked at a couple of blueprints to get prepared.
JayBadgley
hunter

Postby 1quacker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Expect a lot of people to be their, expect no one to give you advise on the day of the drawing (you might find someone though) and don't get your hopes up to high. If your going to make a floating blind then research the post's here or on the other site. If your going platform then make it modular. Make sure you have lots of help. I had one at starved rock one year and had to remove it also...what a pain in the azz and it was in knee deep water. I still have my modular. Do your off season homework and talk with the local DNR guys and CPO's. go during fishing season, summer and log every blind and make notes on the water depth, where it sits according to the predominate winds for hunting season (you can search old weather patterns) where the sun comes up, points, does the water fluctuate at all like the rivers do? If the water doesn't fluctuate to much then you can keep the floor lower to the water.
start narrowing stuff down with kill numbers.that should be recorded somewhere.The info should be out their but your going to have to do some searching.

Good luck
1quacker
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:02 pm

That is great advice. If you do get drawn, the blinds are all floaters. Find a metal shop that can Make brackets that go around a 2x4 and bolt onto the side of your blind. That way, the 2x4 goes through the bracket, into the bottom, allowing the blind to float in whatever the water level is.

Most of the blind builders have a trailer that the blind is on over the summer months. That way you can get them in and out in one piece.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31 am

I heard from local dnr they might allow boat blinds out there soon. As most people have been leaving a lot of wood behind. I know fox waterway is pushing for boat blinds.
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Seems like more and more spots are going that way.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Anyone know if the fox waterway agency allows you to use a boat only , without ever building a floating blind on that assigned spot.
mallardhead
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Not on Grass lake. You need to do your homework, get maps and check with conservation dept or the waterway. There are some spots on other parts of the chain and fox river, you can drop anchor and set up. You'll be competing with guys in the know for those spots.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 am

I know all about the rules on grass lake. My question may have been a little vague. freelancing aside, if I was to secure and pay for a waterway spot.Would I be required to build on it ?
mallardhead
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 am

Getting your name drawn, is the only way I know of, to "secure" a spot. It's all public. Forgot, to answer your question. Yes you do have to build a blind and have it approved, if you want that spot. Otherwise, it gets thrown back at the alternates.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Waterway blinds ARE private (not grass lake) and if you can get one you need to pay $500.00 a year to have one. $400.00 is just a refundable deposit after the blind is removed. So your only paying $100.00 yr. If you can get one that's available it's yours until you decide not to re-up.(lifetime/pass-on to a family member etc.) just like BEARS season ticket holders. DON'T TRY AND HUNT ANYWHERE NEAR ONE. Lake co. will arrest you for trespassing. I guess I just need to stop in the FWA office to get my questions answered.
mallardhead
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am

mallardhead wrote:Waterway blinds ARE private (not grass lake) and if you can get one you need to pay $500.00 a year to have one. $400.00 is just a refundable deposit after the blind is removed. So your only paying $100.00 yr. If you can get one that's available it's yours until you decide not to re-up.(lifetime/pass-on to a family member etc.) just like BEARS season ticket holders. DON'T TRY AND HUNT ANYWHERE NEAR ONE. Lake co. will arrest you for trespassing. I guess I just need to stop in the FWA office to get my questions answered.

I forgot about these. Thanks for the info. Wonder how long the list is on those blinds?

I do remember, if those blinds are unoccupied, you can set up right ontop of them.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:35 pm

YA,the part about trespassing was just hear say. But it came from a pretty reliable source. So along with stopping in at the FWA office. I think I'll stop in at the Lake Co.Sheriff's office and see what they have to say. They're only a mile away. I was told the FWA had water rights in the blind spots. I know CPO'S will tell you it's all public,but who knows what the FWA has been able to pull-off in court !!
mallardhead
hunter

Postby 1quacker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 pm

I'm not saying the Local Sheriffs Office will have the right answer, I'm just saying I would stick with the CPO's and keep their number handy. I have had some local police/sheriff's/forest preserve guys not have a clue on the laws when it comes to hunting. The Fish and Wildlife Officers and CPO's would be your go to man and the man to contact when the local authorities are clueless when they stop you. Just saying.
1quacker
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:37 am

Correct all the waterway blinds and staked spots are private. Got to go to fwa to pick a spot. Only spots available will be out in middle of lakes as everyone has already taken shorelines they keep the fwa blind 200yrds apart. A lot of us went boat blind now cus fwa wants 500$ for a perm blind. All islands on chain are private property. All staked numbered blind spots are privates property. Only public blind are on grasslake. I have to kick people off my island every week they ignore the signs and even rip them down one group learned the hard way when they got arrested not only is it tresspassing but also poaching if on private land. Kinda fun watching dnr tow thier boat.
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:55 am

Do not leave blinds out for winter ice up as the snowmobilers will torch it. Image
malrdmasher
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting