Somewhat new to hunting and need help with Crab

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Somewhat new to hunting and need help with Crab

Postby ngh9bc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Last year was the first time I've ever been duck hunting and I got to hunt several times with an all-time great hunter and caller here in Southern Illinois at his club on a bit of a trade deal. While I can still hunt with him at his club, I'm looking to also hunt some public ground in and around Crab Orchard Lake next year. I have a boat (14' foot jon) but it's not set up for hunting and I was hoping to get to know some walk-in areas pretty well.

Are the ponds around the main lake any good? Is Little Grassy and Devil's Kitchen any good to hunt? Any help would be greatly appreciated... I just got a call for Christmas (Zink Paralyzer XR-2) and have been practicin a lot. Please help: :bow: :bow: :bow:
ngh9bc
hunter

Re: Somewhat new to hunting and need help with Crab

Postby ngh9bc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Sorry if it came across that I'm asking where the hunting is best without doing the homework. I'll be getting out this week later to scout some places for next year and I have a few spots in mind... I plan on putting in my own work, I'm just looking for any advice.
ngh9bc
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:53 am

Welcome, start by going to the visitor center on rte 148. Talk to rangers, get maps, learn rules and get your permit. I haven't hunted there in years so I can't help with spots. There is plenty of lake to hunt, some you can't and I believe some is draw if the still have it. I wouldn't hunt any of the big lakes Crab, Rend, or Carlyle with a 14 foot boat, If you do, make sure it is going to be a pretty day without wind and don't overload your boat. These lakes eat people every year, don't be one of them :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 am

I ain't say'n nutt'n :tongue:
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am

Ponds off Old 13 and Greenbriar are draw. The other ponds arent really any good you may kill 1 or 2 on a good day. Cujo is right unless its going to be relatively calm id stay off main lake or know the wind and pick an appropriate ramp. DK watch the underwater trees and grassy Ive never hunted.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:19 pm

What Cujo said...especially about the the 14' boat. DON'T become a statistic!!!!!
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 pm

A lot of the banks around Little Grassy are private so be sure to check a map carefully before you step out onto the bank. DK and Little Grassy both are hit and miss (mostly miss) I have done better on DK when we have birds and especially when Crab freezes over.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting