Hunting Club Suggestions, Referrals, or Openings?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Hunting Club Suggestions, Referrals, or Openings?

Postby huntswithmutts » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 am

Can anyone refer or suggest a decent duck hunting club in Illinois? I would prefer a club in the northern half of the state as I live in Chicago. That being said, I am open to all suggestions including clubs in southern half of the state too.

I do scout before and during the season, hunt public land, etc., but I like the idea of having a place with clubhouse and networking with other like-minded people. After all, it's always nice to crack open a beer and shoot the crap after morning hunt with new people.

Last year I joined Richmond Hunt Club and had a great time shooting upland birds, but I much prefer shooting ducks and geese. I highly recommend the club to anyone looking for a place to shoot pheasants, however, I would like to change things up.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
huntswithmutts
hunter

Re: Hunting Club Suggestions, Referrals, or Openings?

Postby huntswithmutts » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:36 am

Just want to clarify. A clubhouse is not necessary, but would be nice. I am more concerned about locking down a membership for the up coming season. Any help would be appreciated and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.
huntswithmutts
hunter

Postby 1quacker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:58 pm

I dont hunt any of these places because I am lucky enough to have private land in the area. Check out Migrators Unlimited. Again I know zero people who have been here but I thought I read they were looking for a couple new members. Their are a bunch of clubs in the Braidwood area. Im sure they are probably a goose first club though but when the ducks are here (Like 2 months after the close of the season) I know that area holds them. I would just google Northern Illinois goose and duck clubs. Im sure most are daily hunt clubs without a membership but you never know what you will find. Also depends on how much your willing to shovel out for a lease. Personally, I would look more towards the Mississippi river corridor, like where real ducks fly down. Our area is holding the most ducks I have seen right now and for the last month.
1quacker
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:12 pm

I am a member of Migrators Unlimited. If you have any questions, you may PM me. If you have any other questions about surrounding clubs, the same also. I have hunted a few and belonged to another club before MU. A few of them I keep in regular contact with their guides. If you are looking for a duck club around Braidwood, you will not find it. Most are goose heavy in numbers (at least they use to be).
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby southendduckclub » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:55 am

I know of a club with a opening about 2 hours West of you with a club house. Pm me for information.
southendduckclub
hunter

Postby huntswithmutts » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Still looking for a club. Have looked at a few and might pull the trigger one of them, but any more help would be appreciated. Thanks.
huntswithmutts
hunter

Postby Benet00 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:10 pm

Would you mind sharing what you have learned about the clubs you have researched? I am thinking about joining a club and would appreciate anything you have found.

I am particularly interested in MU Hunt Club.

Thanks!
Benet00
Newb

Postby huntswithmutts » Thu May 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Benet00 wrote:Would you mind sharing what you have learned about the clubs you have researched? I am thinking about joining a club and would appreciate anything you have found.

I am particularly interested in MU Hunt Club.

Thanks!

No problem. There are a few clubs for about $3,000 for a year and others for less than $1,000 for a year. One requires a boat, others are flooded corn fields with blinds in the levees, and a few more are field hunting clubs. Also, most of the clubs seem to be in the central zone.

MU seems like the best for the money but their season doesn't start till after Thanksgiving, it is all field hunting, and you only get four guests passes per season. Not saying any of those are bad things, it just depends what you are looking for.

Everyone I talked was very upfront and informed me that their numbers have been less than stellar the last few years. Just because you pay more doesn't mean you will shoot more birds. You are just paying for smaller numbers of hunters and the ability to bring guests. Hope that helps.

PM me if you have any questions.
huntswithmutts
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting