Headlights on a boat

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Headlights on a boat

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 pm

I have been hunting mostly down south in Arkansas in the flooded timber.
Rigged headlights on my boat and was wondering if it's legal to have them on my boat in Illinois waters.
Don't plan on turning them on but I don't see why not as long as I'm not "shining" wildlife.

Is there any restriction on lights on a watercraft? Covers? Just curious and wanting to go boating soon but don't want to take the lights off if I don't have to.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Re: Headlights on a boat

Postby lostpup » Thu May 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Betty if there is the wardens have never givin me any grief over it. Only place I could see trouble in on the Mighty Miss. I've ran HID spot lights for a few years and have a few other guys around here that have lights and never any trouble. Just make sure to have red/green nav lights too. There may be a law against it I'm not sure. Just stating what I've observed here. :beer:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:55 pm

A few of my buddies have them on their boats...never heard about them getting in trouble. The others all have 2million plus candle power spot lights..the could do the same spotting crimes you speak of with the headlights..
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:31 pm

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/ ... Digest.pdf It gives you layouts for all sizes of vessels for nav lights but it doesn't give you any restrictions on headlights. Personally I don't use headlights due to shadowing of the wake on "open waters" such as the Mississippi and Rock Rivers which can make it harder to see surface anomalies. I can see the need for them in flooded timber 100% due to the environment. I've always used a 2mil candle power handheld spot light though for markers. If it's a clear night with a bright moon there's almost no need for any lights. I have also heard that there is a 10mph speed limit on Illinois waters at night and I know with duck hunting we go out on the worse of days so that may even be too fast.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby lostpup » Sun May 26, 2013 7:15 am

I'd have top agree with the well moon light nite. Anything sticking up or objects in the water cause a " V " and is easiely noticable more so that with a light on it. If you go with lights go ( HID ) there is nothing like that white light.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:21 am

I use the lights in Arkansas timber. Its a must-have. Also use a hand held spot. Imagine tiny little boat lanes that curve and twist. Millions of trees that all look alike. Getting lost is easy. Water everywhere and trees trees trees. Ever hit one? :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:35 pm

I run lights on my four rivers
coulterville33
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting