Who's gonna get one?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Who's gonna get one?

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Who's going to get a carry permit? I'll do it eventually, wait for the rush to be over.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Re: Who's gonna get one?

Postby BEDB » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Ill get one when I turn 21. Wouldn't carry it all the time but it would be nice to be able to carry when I need it.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby rism » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:17 am

I'm glad we finally got it in Illinois. I am thankful for all the work put in by Todd, Valinda, Drylock, and all the others. It is a good starting point. BUT BUT BUT - we can't cc anywhere we might really need it !!! Illinois Carry, ISRA, NRA are already starting on what places to get rid of I'm sure. Have heard that once the bill is law it will only take a majority vote on related issues. W/ the downstate Dems it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of most of those non-carry places.
rism
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:19 pm

I'll be one of the crazies to try early.

I think this is where something clever about tapatalk should go.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:08 pm

rism wrote:I'm glad we finally got it in Illinois. I am thankful for all the work put in by Todd, Valinda, Drylock, and all the others. It is a good starting point. BUT BUT BUT - we can't cc anywhere we might really need it !!! Illinois Carry, ISRA, NRA are already starting on what places to get rid of I'm sure. Have heard that once the bill is law it will only take a majority vote on related issues. W/ the downstate Dems it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of most of those non-carry places.

I agree with this, it is a starting point. But, for me, it is not needed in the places I normally travel and illegal in the places where I do feel insecure and feel the need for protection. Like mentioned hopefully those things can be corrected over time and make the bill usable for the people that need it.

Now for the question: Why are some people in this state so obsessed with not letting people protect themselves, when it is obvious the laws already instilled don't?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby DieselTech84 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 pm

I was looking forward to getting one and even used it as an excuse to go out and buy another handgun and take 8 hrs training. But this bill is horrible and I will absolutely not be making a $150 dollar donation to the ISP and taking another 8 hrs training only to not be able to carry in the places I would be most likely to need it. Leave it to Chicago to ruin everything for the rest of us.
DieselTech84
hunter

Postby vlb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Its like music to my ears , to hear you people are taking your rights back. Even if its inch by inch. :thumbsup:
vlb
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Now Lisa Madigan is asking for another 30 days to put something together. Complete B.S.!! They've known about this for a while. No more messing around.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Now Lisa Madigan is asking for another 30 days to put something together. Complete B.S.!! They've known about this for a while. No more messing around.

Should we expect anything else?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:37 pm

BEDB wrote:Ill get one when I turn 21. Wouldn't carry it all the time but it would be nice to be able to carry when I need it.

\
Define "when you will need it" If I were you I would get use to carrying it always with the exception of places you can't.The day you need it, is going to be the day you didn't carry it. Just my 2 cents.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:
BEDB wrote:Ill get one when I turn 21. Wouldn't carry it all the time but it would be nice to be able to carry when I need it.

\
Define "when you will need it" If I were you I would get use to carrying it always with the exception of places you can't.The day you need it, is going to be the day you didn't carry it. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. I'll have one wherever legal...

Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby BEDB » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Cajun1085 wrote:

\

I don't think it's nescessary all the time. I do however think it would be nice to have one in certain circumstances like buying or selling something on Craigslist though.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:32 am

BEDB wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Cajun1085 wrote:

\

I don't think it's nescessary all the time. I do however think it would be nice to have one in certain circumstances like buying or selling something on Craigslist though.

Well, I guess it depends on where you live... I carried mine everyday, everywhere when I lived in downtown New Orleans for school. Pulled it twice, but never had to shoot thank God.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:51 am

How do you know when you're going to need it? I would submit that you don't, thus you should carry always. I doubt Mary Shepard thought she would need her carry gun that day she was attacked in her church.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 am

I know it's more expensive than most states and I'm sorry guys, we did our best. Keep in mind though that we're quite certain hunter safety cert will satisfy the first 8 hrs so that's one less class you would be required to take since most people on here have that. The application is 150 which is 8 cents a day so try to keep it in perspective, I know it still sucks but just say'n.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:41 am

We dont expect you to work miracles with this state.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby jimkoz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:14 am

Have been receiving e-mails in regard to Illinois CCW classes. How can they have a class when we don't know what the requirement are going to be? Already have a Utah permit. Don't want to go through the same stuff again.
Jim
jimkoz
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:38 am

jimkoz wrote:Have been receiving e-mails in regard to Illinois CCW classes. How can they have a class when we don't know what the requirement are going to be? Already have a Utah permit. Don't want to go through the same stuff again.
Jim

Nothing more than guys lookin to make a quick buck. IL will probably have the strictest requirements for CC thus requiring everyone who's already taken the course to retake it.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:41 pm

QuackSmacker935 wrote:
jimkoz wrote:Have been receiving e-mails in regard to Illinois CCW classes. How can they have a class when we don't know what the requirement are going to be? Already have a Utah permit. Don't want to go through the same stuff again.
Jim

Nothing more than guys lookin to make a quick buck. IL will probably have the strictest requirements for CC thus requiring everyone who's already taken the course to retake it.

You may be suprised to learn that while IL is going to require the most hrs of training they will count previous training up to 8 hrs. We're quite certain the following courses will be counted towards that first 8 hrs.
Basic Pistol
Personal protection in the home
Personal protection outside the home
FL CCW
Utah CCW
Hunter safety

So for folks who have any of those, all you would need is the other 8 hrs and in that course they are wanting 3 hrs covering such things as the carry law itself, laws on transportation, justified use of force. Then the rest of that 8 hrs can be range time. You could really learn a lot in 5 hrs with a good instructor. Remember there's a lot more to using a defensive pistol than just pressing the trigger and it's best to have all of those skills engrained in your muscle memory so you will have a better chance of performing under the stress of a dynamic criticial incident. Ones vision and motor skills go in the toilet when under that kind of stress and I know that cause I been in one.
I don't have the credentials to teach advanced combat focus courses yet, I'm just focused on getting folks what they legally need for now and that's what most instructors goals are. Most of us have real lives and real jobs and this is just something we do on the side because we're passionate about it. I can tell you, any instructor that is looking to make a quick buck is going to be very dissappointed and they're doing it wrong to begin with.
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby BEDB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:
BEDB wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
Cajun1085 wrote:

\

Well, I guess it depends on where you live... I carried mine everyday, everywhere when I lived in downtown New Orleans for school. Pulled it twice, but never had to shoot thank God.

I live in a small, rural community compared to New Orleans. 10000 people surrounded by smaller towns and farmland.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:33 am

DRYLOK wrote:
QuackSmacker935 wrote:
Jim

You may be suprised to learn that while IL is going to require the most hrs of training they will count previous training up to 8 hrs. We're quite certain the following courses will be counted towards that first 8 hrs.
Basic Pistol
Personal protection in the home
Personal protection outside the home
FL CCW
Utah CCW
Hunter safety

So for folks who have any of those, all you would need is the other 8 hrs and in that course they are wanting 3 hrs covering such things as the carry law itself, laws on transportation, justified use of force. Then the rest of that 8 hrs can be range time. You could really learn a lot in 5 hrs with a good instructor. Remember there's a lot more to using a defensive pistol than just pressing the trigger and it's best to have all of those skills engrained in your muscle memory so you will have a better chance of performing under the stress of a dynamic criticial incident. Ones vision and motor skills go in the toilet when under that kind of stress and I know that cause I been in one.
I don't have the credentials to teach advanced combat focus courses yet, I'm just focused on getting folks what they legally need for now and that's what most instructors goals are. Most of us have real lives and real jobs and this is just something we do on the side because we're passionate about it. I can tell you, any instructor that is looking to make a quick buck is going to be very disappointed and they're doing it wrong to begin with.

This is good to hear. The Utah course that I took was a joke. I didn't learn much that I didn't know, and I don't know "a lot". I plan to carry as often as legally possible, and the more than myself and others learn, the better off we will be...

I think that you guys did a hell of a job getting what you could out of the bill. I for one, and I sure that I speak for many other as well, truly appreciate the work and effort that you, your group, and similar groups did for the residents of this state. :thumbsup:
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:57 am

Thanks man
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting