NE Illinois Duck Hunting

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

NE Illinois Duck Hunting

Postby waitingfornextyear » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:21 am

I have a potential job in Chicago and was doing some research on the duck hunting around that area. I know you have a pretty good drive to be able to get anywhere decent but I also noticed there isn't a whole lot of places to public hunt w/o getting into a blind lottery. Being from the Cleveland Ohio area it is pretty easy to find public land to hunt from w/o worrying about having to be in a lottery. I usually take a canoe / kayak to get back into some of the more unreachable areas in the marsh. Is it unthinkable to find a public place to hunt in NE Illinois using the method described?

Thanks
If the browns win a Superbowl i will give up hunting. Thank God that wont happen.
waitingfornextyear
hunter

Re: NE Illinois Duck Hunting

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:21 am

waitingfornextyear wrote:I have a potential job in Chicago and was doing some research on the duck hunting around that area. I know you have a pretty good drive to be able to get anywhere decent but I also noticed there isn't a whole lot of places to public hunt w/o getting into a blind lottery. Being from the Cleveland Ohio area it is pretty easy to find public land to hunt from w/o worrying about having to be in a lottery. I usually take a canoe / kayak to get back into some of the more unreachable areas in the marsh. Is it unthinkable to find a public place to hunt in NE Illinois using the method described?

Thanks

It's not easy to find huntable public spots in N. Illinois. Little easier along the Mississippi, but you need a decent boat for that. There are spots, mostly rivers in the rurla areas. Google maps is your friend. You need to find an area that looks good, then figure out what county it's in and check with the DNR, to make sure it's cool.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:24 am

You would probably have better luck traveling south or west.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby BEDB » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Shabbona
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:22 am

BEDB wrote:Shabbona

^^This^^ although, the hunting is from land only if I recall correctly... And I think a few years back ( 1 or 2), my dad hunted out there and said the kill sheets only registered 2 geese for the entire season :no:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby BEDB » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Blackcloud870 wrote:
BEDB wrote:Shabbona

^^This^^ although, the hunting is from land only if I recall correctly... And I think a few years back ( 1 or 2), my dad hunted out there and said the kill sheets only registered 2 geese for the entire season :no:

4 fields and one pothole. The biggest problem is you can't hunt it past December. I think there's ducks to be killed if a guy put the time in
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting