Shabbona Lake Doves. What happened to them??

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Shabbona Lake Doves. What happened to them??

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 am

This topic is to piggy back off of another recent topic that I'd commented on, and it lead me to thinking...
WTH happened to this place?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the bird hunting has become pretty turrible out there? I can remember hunting out there with my dad when I was just a kid, and the Dove numbers were just ridiculous. You had to basically run out of ammo to not shoot a limit. The last 4-5 consecutive years I'd gone out there ( 2005-2009 or so ) the dove hunting was actually kinda depressing to say the least.

I've since opted to hunt early goose and teal in place of the doves, but my pop's has continued hunting doves out there and even he has since started scratching his head :huh:

Now that I think of it, I don't recall hearing from anyone north of I-70 doing any good on doves on public land. If you have done well in the last few years, don't post up where you are getting them, more-so just let us know that doves still exist in IL and that SOMEBODY is still getting them :beer:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Re: Shabbona Lake Doves. What happened to them??

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 am

They are going down south to get them. We used to shoot some out west at the green river state managed hunting area. From what I've heard, it's the same as Shabbona. Dead.

Buddies of mine are putting in for one of the other managed areas down south. They do ok. It's not stellar but there are some birds.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:16 pm

It's crazy to me considering the 15 bird limit, you'd think there were enough around to provide a few limits here and there. My father hunted Silver Springs last year and only shot 2 :eek:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 am

I haven't heard of many killing doves on public spots anymore. Plenty at the clubs...

Only 2 is nuts. That's barely an appetizer!
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:13 pm

The last few years have been tough for dove hunting with early corn harvests it scatters the doves out all over. Plus you have a lot of guys putting in their own dove fields too like my milo and sunflowers I planted this year for quail cover and food and for dove hunting. Private land dove hunting for me has still been pretty good if you scout and find a good spot.
luie b
hunter

Postby mallardsman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm

I still do very well dove hunting. Last year every day I went but twice I killed my limit of doves. I believe I went 10 or 11 times. However it is all private ground that a buddy of mine farms and the doves use his fields thick. But we don't hunt every field every year and no more than 2 or 3 times a year. Once we kill over a 100 doves in a field that's it. We stop hunting it even if its the only field they are in or you will just run them off and they wont come back in as big of numbers.
mallardsman
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting