Dove Survey

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Dove Survey

Postby luie b » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:08 pm

Anyone know why the reason for that lengthy dove survey was? It seems like they want to make it steel shot only...
luie b
hunter

Re: Dove Survey

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:05 am

luie b wrote:Anyone know why the reason for that lengthy dove survey was? It seems like they want to make it steel shot only...

To my knowledge it has been steel shot only for some time?
That may have only been on public land though... :huh:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 pm

No it's only required on certain state managed game lands, none I know of around here. If they made it so we had to use steel they need to make it more available in stores and ammo companies need to find a way to make it cheaper. In the current situation how expensive steel is if they switch to steel hunter numbers will drop which I don't want to see.
luie b
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 pm

I've actually switched to steel only. Winchester #8 steel target loads pattern great out of my 935 w/ Carlson black cloud choke so I've seen no reason to go to lead for dove. To top it off I get 100 shells for $22 so cost doesn't kill. I've also heard a lot of complaints about the 935 not cycling light target loads in the shotgun forum, all I can say is clean your gun. I don't experience jams until I'm on a fourth (target shooting) box. :grooving:
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:48 am

Where do you get the shells for that kind of price? Have you noticed more crippled doves since you switched to steel or is the killing power and range just about the same?
luie b
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:31 am

luie b wrote:Where do you get the shells for that kind of price? Have you noticed more crippled doves since you switched to steel or is the killing power and range just about the same?

Farm and fleet in Moline but keep in mind these prices were last year's prices prior to scare. I usually bought 5 of the bonus boxes so 500 total at the beginning of each year so I would have dove and range loads. The killing power seemed to be there as each one I hit dropped dead but as far as range I never fired a shot over 25yds due to our dove spot so couldn't say. At the range they shatter clays at 40-45.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting