Carlyle Lake Hunting

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Carlyle Lake Hunting

Postby mallardsman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Hey guys just wondering how your past duck season went at Carlyle and what is your expectations for this year. Last year was my best year so far. This coming year I just don't know if it will be great with all the flooding we have had and no chance for anything to grow.
mallardsman
hunter

Re: Carlyle Lake Hunting

Postby ctmsnow32 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Not speaking for everyone but and I'm not sure if your familiar with the hunters down there but they take things a little personally/way over the top when it comes to talking about the hunting down there. Tried making friendly conversation a couple years ago and it just got ridiculous.... Hopefully someone with a good attitude gets back to you though. I like reading about other spots in Illinois and hear how people are doing. Have fun... I've only been in the sport for a few years now and I already know it's not about the numbers you kill but the adventure along the way and friends you share it with.
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Oh man I was expecting some nasty responses to this topic by now. I've never hunted down there, nor do I think I ever will, but like ctmsnow says, of all the places to hunt in this country it seems that Carlyle Lake is the most hotly contested/defended piece of public land outside of some of the refuges in AR. Now that's an accomplishment :eek: :fingerhead:

Good luck to you boys down there and stay safe this season.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby mallardsman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 pm

O yes I was on this forum a couple years ago when it was hot and heavy arguing on this forum. However I was hoping that some of them guys had either left or matured. Now im not asking them to give up there spots because I never would and hunt that lake religiously. I don't even tell my buddys where we are going or how I did the day before because at that lake you have to protect your spots as best as you can.
mallardsman
hunter

Postby ctmsnow32 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:50 pm

yea i was wanting to take a little trip somewhere different, explore a new place for a longer weekend and just had some general questions but i soon realized i didnt need to be getting my windows broken out or tires slashed over some birds...
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby mallardsman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Its not that bad. Rend Lake used to be that bad but I don't know how it is anymore.
mallardsman
hunter

Postby WTRlabDOG » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:24 pm

I went teal hunting down there last year... Did good... Long drive, but the birds were in the area...took a couple trips to find my own little spot which I'm sure some other guy would say it sucks, but I had fun and hope to hunt it this year. I agree with everyones post. It's a different world down there. I too, tried to make conversation with a guy asking him where he was going so that we don't hunt on top of each other. Needless to say the guy was a jerk.

That time is coming boys and girls so good luck and stay safe and see y'all in the field.
Please check out my website @ http://www.capitol-outdoorsman..com

Follow me on twitter @capitoloutdoors
Follow me on facebook @ capitoloutdoorsman
WTRlabDOG
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:09 am

Some may think this is a total BS story, but it is my experiences at the Carlyle subs.
I hunted at the Carlyle walk-ins in the `70's. I hunted there a couple of times a week, from `74-78. I only hit it a few times from `79-`81, when I left the area. I only hunted weekdays, so I can't attest to weekend pressure. I never hunted the lake and never checked out the boat ramps to see how many trailers were there.
In those days of old, it was rare to see another vehicle in the parking lot. If there was, it was usually a holiday Monday or a Friday-someone making a 3 day weekend. One other vehicle in a lot was rare, two or three was a traffic jam. I can count the number of hunters I encountered without running out of fingers and they were usually friendly. I saw and talked to more Corps rangers and Il. DOC (now DNR) employees than hunters. (They checked out the parking areas, listing for shooting, looking for empty hulls or duck feathers, so they could tell hunters calling in if there is much harvest.)
By `81, I noticed a difference. There still wasn't much weekday pressure, but you might have a vehicle or two in the lot. You could tell there was more weekend pressure by the trash, etc. around the parking areas. Plus, what few hunters that were encountered were less friendly, more closed mouthed, secretive and surly.
I can't say that I really slayed the ducks, but there were always more than enough shooting and ducks to get me to go again.

From the stories I hear about nowadays, I'd give up waterfowling before I'd put up with the overcrowding, fighting, hassles and BS that seems to be the norm at Carlyle.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:57 pm

I agree heard of a fist fight at rend lake last season. its public there are ducks and a kill sheet. Not much a guy can hide. except the ones that lie on the kill sheets. I'm sorry but if its that important to ya to lie cheat and fight to kill 6 ducks you are to much for me
coulterville33
hunter

Postby reelcranky » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:19 am

Wow I am new to the area it sounds like my first year hunting here is going to be an adventure lol was not counting on shooting much anyway especially since I will probably only be able to hunt the weekends but it sounds like there is a ton of jackwagons hunting at Carlyle and Rend. I am still looking forward to hunting this area anyway especially since my season just doubled since you can hunt on Sundays it will also be nice to at least see birds!
reelcranky
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:20 pm

go scout it like everybody else had to and find out how it will be. I moved away 6 years ago but still hunt the subs frequently, and I have earned every bird I get there. I would never even think about posting or telling anyone on the internet even my worst back up spot. Sorry I may sound like a jerk, but like guys said...its public, and for every guy on here trying to find out info, there are 12 guys lurking and getting the same info. The only thing I will give you is that the walkins are in for one very tough year. Water is still in the parking lots. Good luck.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby ctmsnow32 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 am

SPatrick wrote:go scout it like everybody else had to and find out how it will be. I moved away 6 years ago but still hunt the subs frequently, and I have earned every bird I get there. I would never even think about posting or telling anyone on the internet even my worst back up spot. Sorry I may sound like a jerk, but like guys said...its public, and for every guy on here trying to find out info, there are 12 guys lurking and getting the same info. The only thing I will give you is that the walkins are in for one very tough year. Water is still in the parking lots. Good luck.

And thank you for proving our point.. Lol
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:46 am

Ok why would I tell you a good spot, only so I can turn around and bike race you to get it the next morning? That is foolish. If it was you, and you had a great 100% freelance public spot, would you give it away on the inter webs? This isn't unicef, and I know for gahdammed sure my grandfather wouldn't have given away his hunting spots while hunting for the market in the 30's. Don't act like this is something new, and it just happens at Carlyle. Why don't you go over to a morel hunting website and ask about some of their spots and see the reaction you get. Like I said earlier, not trying to be a jerk, but this gets really old to me, and then people complain about guys there being d!cks because they don't give them any help. We didn't have help finding our spots, we FOUND them, its part of becoming a successful waterfowl hunter. I have seen lots a great spots burned out, because someone wants to brag about full straps back at the parking lot. No one is gonna slash your tires there, or beat the heII out of you, for hunting there. My advice, if you really want to hunt Carlyle, you and a buddy get together sometime on a saturday, drive down there and walk the place. I do it almost every year. Carlyle is like anywhere else, 20% of the hunters, kill 80% of the ducks, you will not be in the 20% if you just show up opening day and try and find a spot and you have never seen the impounds.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby quadejagger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 am

I will give you all one tip. On Flood years such as this all the waterfowl will be concentrated at Carlyle Lake and not on Rend Lake.
quadejagger
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:23 am

Did you even bother to read the OP? He was asking about last season and thoughts on how the high water would affect this season. In your rant, you eventually answered the last question.
If your grandfather was hunting for the market in the `30's, he was a poacher. Market hunting became illegal in 1918, although the Bath/Browning boys didn't hear about it until much later.

I've never figured out how people plan to keep a secret spot on public land. If you're shooting birds, those within hearing know it. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I frequently talked to DNR or Corps employees in the parking areas. They were collecting information to pass on to any hunters that called. Many was the time that they would tell me " Tomorrow, try over there, there was a lot of shooting there Saturday." `Shrooming and fishing spots are easier to keep secret, but it's damned hard to be secretive when firing a 12 gauge.
Having now retired as a fishery biologist with IDNR, part of my job was to let the public know the hot spots-same with the wildlife biologists, game wardens and park staff. We disseminate that information very freely-because it's in the job description.
During my 55 year hunting career, I've been able to hunt much of Illinois, with the exception of NE Il. (I choose to avoid those hassles.) While I readily admit that I haven't hunted Rend or Carlyle for 30+ years, I've heard the stories from co-workers and witnessed the personal attacks on anyone giving out ANY information on waterfowl sites such as this. Yes, the hunters who frequent Rend and Carlyle are WAY different than what I've encountered in other parts of the state (and other states, too). And it's not for the good.
I agree with ctmsnow32.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:56 pm

I hunt Rend, Crab, Cache, Horseshoe and a few other places. I scout, hunt, scout, hunt, etc. I will help with basic info, but I'm not going to tell you where I am going to be each day. Good luck out there fellers, play nice. Oh, and there are always a lot more ducks at Carlyle.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby dekeslayer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:02 pm

I live 15 minute s from the subs and hunt them regularly. Haven't hunted a lot of other public ground and this is just my opinion but if u scout and know the area u will kill ducks and every day is a new day. Ive talked to people in the parking lot so we wouldnt hunt on each other and then had them race and beat me to the spot I wanted. Once that happens u realize to keep yoir mouth shut. If u dont like the way it is u should try and draw a blind over on the Illinois river or Mississippi. And u wont have to race people. I like having it freelance. As far as the original post this year will be tough due to flooding. But if u scout u will get some birds. And I dont get why so many people bash the place when thay have never been there.
dekeslayer
Newb

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:02 pm

dekeslayer wrote:I live 15 minute s from the subs and hunt them regularly. Haven't hunted a lot of other public ground and this is just my opinion but if u scout and know the area u will kill ducks and every day is a new day. Ive talked to people in the parking lot so we wouldnt hunt on each other and then had them race and beat me to the spot I wanted. Once that happens u realize to keep yoir mouth shut. If u dont like the way it is u should try and draw a blind over on the Illinois river or Mississippi. And u wont have to race people. I like having it freelance. As far as the original post this year will be tough due to flooding. But if u scout u will get some birds. And I dont get why so many people bash the place when thay have never been there.

I could see what you're saying Deke, but I never bashed the place. I bashed the antics that take place both there and here online.
See below:
dekeslayer wrote: Ive talked to people in the parking lot so we wouldnt hunt on each other and then had them race and beat me to the spot I wanted.

I mean hell, they've got to be doing something right down there if guys are going to fight/backstab each other like they do.As much as I hate to say it, that is the one good thing about blind draws...no more boat races and/or campers :no:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby ctmsnow32 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Deke I think you hit it on the head... I was never looking for spots and would never expect someone to tell me, I just like the idea of a little comrodery at the launch but like you said, you tell someone where your going so you don't hunt over each other and then they snake you... That's garbage for sure (hopefully their gun jams and they get poison ivy. I started waterfowl hunting outside Salt Lake City and it was free lance, but not nearly like the pressure here... I'm in norther il and everywhere near me is blind drawings. I miss the ability to go scout a place and then hit it the next day, nothing more satisfying then hard work paying off. I'd like to get down south and spend some time down there scouting and hunting, I just don't want all the bs with the d bags.
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:29 am

Deke, I think we are all complaining about the same thing: Lack of respect for the other guy.
I saw an attitude change starting to occur at Carlyle in the early `80's, when I left the area. In the `70's, if you even saw another hunter, you could BS, agree on where to go so you weren't stepping on toes...or even hunt together. It was a gentleman's game-no backstabbing, no setting up on top of each other (at least on purpose), no sky busting or shooting at another hunters swings, no screaming and/or fighting over a spot.
Now, from everything I hear and read, this cutthroat attitude is the norm. Even 40+ years ago, when I first hunted Carlyle, I wouldn't have enjoyed that BS., but would have been much more willing to join in the fisticuffs than I would now, at 66.
I hunt and fish to relax and have a good time. I go out to enjoy the day and hopefully get the dog a few retrieves. It's supposed to be FUN, FUN, FUN, not a fight or competition.
When it gets to the point that someone routinely comes in and sets up 50 yds. away or wants to fight over a honey hole, it's no longer fun to me. If it's not FUN, I quit.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby dekeslayer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:48 pm

I guess my point is caryle is not that bad. Ive had way more good days than bad and it is suited to a younger guy a lil more. But if u r willing to do the work u will do good. And it seemed everybody had input about it but doesnt even hunt there. I know some old timers that hunted the place before the lake was built and enjoy the old storys and they noticed the change too. People coming from the city and its still those people with that attitude. Just my opion. Not tryin to ruffle feathers.
dekeslayer
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 am

Carlyle walkins are fairly well maintained and somewhat vast. Not sure the walkins will do well. Gotta scout it.
The experience of opening day at the walkins is quite a show. March in like an army. The amount of shooting...WOW!
Every hunter should experience it one time even if its from one of the parking lots.
Rainey Brake in Arkansas is puny in comparison.

Big Lake and Bayou Meto... larger. Much!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting