2013-2014 Hunting Regulations

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

2013-2014 Hunting Regulations

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:29 am

Are finally up. Teal went to 6/day, and migratory bird possession limit went to 3 times the daily limit. Sounds like a lot of states have done the same :thumbsup:

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Doc ... Digest.pdf
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Re: 2013-2014 Hunting Regulations

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:07 am

I wonder what the state does with all that advertisement money. Gezzzzz
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:42 am

KillerKowalski wrote:I wonder what the state does with all that advertisement money. Gezzzzz

No kidding. I don't remember seeing ads in the past...
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:29 pm

I bet a bunch of people still end up shooting only 4 this year from lack of knowledge. I saw the rulebook and they finally pulled their heads out of their butts and extended rabbit season to Feb. 15th. Now that there isn't near as many rabbits as there used to be... great timing DNR...
luie b
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 am

They've had advertising since the brent manning days, when the regs booklet went to the modern comic book size. If you are old enough to remember, the regs booklet used to be pocket sized-4"x6", as opposed to 8"x10". In the old days...pre-Blagojevich, it was my understanding that the advertising money pretty much paid for the printing and if there was any excess, it went to the wildlife & fish fund. Now days, with Central Management Services, a political-laden agency (the most powerful agency in Il. state government), controlling ALL printing, purchases, leases, vehicles, computers, hiring, maintenance...ie: pretty much everything in state government, who knows where the money goes.
BTW, I counted 7 ads in the hunting and 5 ads in the fishing-far fewer than most outdoor magazines that we pay for. I don't count pages touting IRAP or Illinois Conservation Foundation, as these are both programs run by DNR, so I doubt they are paid ads.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm all for them getting advertising revenue to keep the books free, and hopefully put some surplus back into the DNR piggy bank, but I don't remember seeing any advertising before this year.

This is a link to last year's book. No advertising...

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Doc ... ations.pdf

But Two years ago, it did have advertising...

http://www.illinoishunter.com/downloads ... t_2011.pdf

I think that one has everything (2011), while the other is more of a cliff's notes version (2012).

It's weird that they would upload one without the ads if they were in there :huh:
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:29 pm

What you posted for 2012-13 was the waterfowl booklet. I quickly scanning the Hunting & Trapping booklet, I found 6 full page ads.
I've got almost every Hunting and Fishing booklet, going back to the `70's. I scanned a few of the old, small format booklets, no advertising, but the bigger format booklets I looked thru all had advertising. None of the waterfowl reg. booklets had any ads. I don't remember ads ever being in the waterfowl booklets.
When I started hunting, back in the 1950's, they gave you a card that would fit in your wallet. One side had the seasons and limits and the other side had a few of the major regs., like no uncased guns in a vehicle, no shooting across or on a road, etc. Waterfowl were on a separate card. In 1961 and 62, we were down to a 30 and 25 day waterfowl season, two ducks and only one could be a mallard. I believe that woodies, pintails, cans and maybe redheads were totally protected.
And, to satisfy luieb, the upland season ended 31 Dec, but rabbit stayed in till 31 January. Of course, we had LOTS of rabbits then, not to mention plenty of pheasant and quail...and lots of upland hunters, too. Upland season opened at noon, 1st Saturday in November, and every field entrance would have a car or truck in it by 11:00. Now, you are lucky to see an upland hunter all season-and we have to wear orange now!
Killing a deer was almost unheard of then, and turkeys were birds you read about. How things have changed! I'd trade all the deer and turkeys for the 50's again, though. A 10 yr old lad could ride his bike to the edge of town, with his .410 across the handlebars, knock on a door or two and hunt all day, coming home with a limit of rabbits and squirrels, and get plenty of opportunities for quail and pheasants (if he could hit them)...all of this without a dog. (Try riding thru downtown Springfield today with an uncased shotgun tied to your handlebars. Watch the swat team muster to go after that 10 yr. old, then Human Services go after the parents for being unfit.)
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm

Thanks for sharing, Riverrat. Very interesting regulations to read.

I remember going to Dwight when I was a kid the there would be flocks of pheasants! I mean groups of 50 or more. Lucky to see a single bird on the edge now. We, the waterfowl community, have come a long way. Some in a positive light and some negative.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Killer,
We used to drive up to Pontiac for the pheasant opener. We'd drive up, take our host for breakfast. Wait for the noon opener, and be headed to the tavern by 2PM, with a quick limit. Of course, at 10, I wasn't drinking...I was the designated driver. :lol3:

I worked building steel high voltage towers up in that area in 1974-what a change. They had assembled the towers in pieces the year before, so they were grown up in weeds. Virtually every tower part had a pheasant nest, as that was the only cover to be seen. Whole sections with zip for cover, maybe a roadside ditch. I think every pheasant that had been able to hang on had flocked to that tower line, hoping for a successful nesting. It was a sad sight, indeed. Very little to eat and no where to get away from the cold, snow or predators.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:51 pm

Well I guess I'm one of the last upland hunters around still then. I guess you could say part of the next generation of bird hunters. I don't have my own bird dog but hunt over my cousins and we usually hunt planted birds but we still go on wild bird hunts and we always try to get on places we know have birds (not too many places anymore) but most hunts are unsuccessful but the dogs are pretty inexperienced to be working these wild pheasants and quail since they're used to pen birds that just sit and never run.
luie b
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:50 pm

luie,
I am pretty familiar with your county and area. You live in one of the few areas in Illinois that harbors a decent population of wild birds.
I live about 20 miles south of the Quad Cities. When I first moved up here in the mid `80's, we still had a fair pheasant population, but ziltch for quail or rabbits. There were still a fair amount of upland hunters. Today, due to loss of habitat and deer leasing, you don't see too many upland hunters, even on opening day. Part is due to the lack of birds, but I believe-NO, I KNOW-it's gotten WAY, WAY harder to get access to private land, because it is leased for deer hunting. (Deer hunters seem to fear that someone mushroom or turkey hunting in the spring will affect fall deer movement, so we won't even mention chasing a few birds.) I know of several avid upland hunters that just quit keeping dogs because of the frustration.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby ctmsnow32 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:10 am

Hey just for all those who want an honest hunt... remember teal opens at SUNRISE not a half hour before sunrise like early season goose and the regular season does.

just an FYI
ctmsnow32
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting