Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I am working with J Sterns for a carton (25 pounds) of raffia grass in timber brown, mud brown and tan. They supply Avery and Cabelas. I can't see using all twenty-five pounds. I am trying to get them to mix the twenty-five pounds in thirds of each camo color. I am wondering if anyone local would like to split or would need some raffia. This is in the planning stage as I will order in the month of August or September. Pricing I am still working on, but to compare Roger's 5lb. Tanglefree is $7.80 per pound. J Sterns is quoting me $4.80 per pound (both before shipping), but individual colors only at this point. Even if someone only wants a few pounds, I will sell it at the price I pay after shipping.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm


Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby luie b » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Paying for brush to put on a duck blind is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of... just go out into the woods and cut down oak and cedar brush, it's free!
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 pm

I appreciate the feedback.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm in if you end up buying the carton.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
hunter
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 pm

I was thinking of getting some raffia myself but I discovered a gold mine right down the road. At the back of a cemetary they have a big pile of these plastic flowers and leaves on stems that people put on graves. Most are bleached out. All you need is some spray paint and they are good as new! They will last forever too! There were some fresh one's out around the tombstones but since I didn't know if there were any duck hunters buried there I didn't mess with them. I figured if it was a duckhunter he wouldn't mind. :grooving:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby Blackcloud870 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:58 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:I am working with J Sterns for a carton (25 pounds) of raffia grass in timber brown, mud brown and tan. They supply Avery and Cabelas. I can't see using all twenty-five pounds. I am trying to get them to mix the twenty-five pounds in thirds of each camo color. I am wondering if anyone local would like to split or would need some raffia. This is in the planning stage as I will order in the month of August or September. Pricing I am still working on, but to compare Roger's 5lb. Tanglefree is $7.80 per pound. J Sterns is quoting me $4.80 per pound (both before shipping), but individual colors only at this point. Even if someone only wants a few pounds, I will sell it at the price I pay after shipping.

Got any pics Kowalski?
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
User avatar
Blackcloud870
hunter
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:45 am
Location: Northern, IL

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:05 pm

No color samples as of yet. They are a pain to get a hold of again.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby Buckwild22 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:08 pm

I just picked up a beavertail boat blind and need some. Let me know. My work is in south Naperville so I'm close.
Lucky Duck Pro staff
Buckwild22
hunter
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:44 pm
Location: Kendall County, IL

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:14 am

Ah, you are close.

Another member posted this image up, so I can't take credit. He was a little further along the process with J Sterns as I am. From what I am reading, 25 pounds will cover an 18' boat pretty well and 20 pounds covers, but lacking in some spots. I am thinking from the responses I have gotten on this thread and PMs we all can combine to get quite a few cartons to help everyone out. Hell why not?!?! That is if everyone pays.

And anyone wanting to buy and dye raffia Cabelas Bargain Cave Avery Killer Weed is $29.99 for 10 pounds. Not a bad deal if you want to bucket, dye and dry.

Image
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:24 am

I got a call back today. J Sterns will mix colors. Bulk discounts start at 500 pounds, so we won't be touching that. Though the price per pound is $4.55 and not the $4.80. They gave me a rough estimate of $25-$28 for shipping to IL. I ordered a swatch. The lady said anyone can call and get a swatch mailed for free or I can pass the swatch around.

Image
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:51 pm

luie b wrote:Paying for brush to put on a duck blind is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of... just go out into the woods and cut down oak and cedar brush, it's free!


Posting season totals on your signature line is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen :tongue:
User avatar
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:27 am
Location: Coal City, IL

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Image
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby Buckwild22 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Cabelas has golden harvest 10lb bundles for 30 bucks right now, I'm just gonna die some because you can't beat that price.
Lucky Duck Pro staff
Buckwild22
hunter
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:44 pm
Location: Kendall County, IL

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:49 pm

I was thinking about the same, but then adding the dye, buckets and time it wasn't worth it. I agree that is a hell of a price though.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:36 pm

What's it take to dye that stuff?
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
User avatar
Blackcloud870
hunter
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:45 am
Location: Northern, IL

Re: Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Great color wheel comprehension, time, buckets and http://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Liquid-Fa ... B001QX2G9S. I'll pay the extra $20 to get the colors I want.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm


Return to Illinois Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests