Anchoring a floating duck blind????

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Anchoring a floating duck blind????

Postby 2takem » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Hey guys!

We are building a floating duck blind this year at a state site. First floating blind we have ever built. We have 15 5 gallon drums we are using and THINK we have the blind squared away.

Question is and looking for input/ideas/past experience on anchoring the blind and keeping in position??

Any help would be great! Thanks guys!
2takem
hunter

Re: Anchoring a floating duck blind????

Postby neon58 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:44 pm

The best thing to do is talk to those that have built floaters on the same water or better yet same blind site and find out what worked and what didn't for them. Make sure your boat hide is well built as well that often gets overlooked. If you are in a true open water situation your blind, decoys and equipment in general will take a beating like no other style of hunting. However you anchor it whether you use rope, chain or cable you will want to have a way too loosen or tighten the blind to accommodate fluctuating water levels otherwise you might as well build a solid stake blind. I know guys that use 55 gal barrels cut in half filled with concrete to anchor their blinds one of each corner off the blind. They bend rebar in a loop to set in the concrete and run rope to adjust the blind they always loosen it a little when they leave each day. Good luck :beer:
neon58
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 pm

there are a few guys using that sort of set up where we shoot and they have a floating 5gal/20ltr drum on a long rope permanently marking there possie and doubling as an anchor point. something that size filled with sand or small peebles will take quite a lot of shifting all depending on the lake/waterway bed type/structureand a hunk of railway iron or similar tied off in the middle will snag rough ground. the guys that can just tie up to/in sunken trees do the best for ducks as the birds use it as home year round.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:33 am

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=234250

Here's a post I made in the do it yourself forum. Scroll down to my post.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby 2takem » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks everyone! This will help alot. We are going to take it out this weekend and do a trail and error till we get it right. :beer:
2takem
hunter

Postby neon58 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Make sure your barrels are banded or cabled to the floor frame as tight as possible. Baling wire hand tightened will not get it. It will bend and loosen up and cause major headaches.
neon58
hunter

Postby rism » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:46 am

Make sure barrels are outside of the actual blind itself. You can't tip it over that way when all four guys rush to the front to shoot. A lot more stable. My blind for the last 30 yrs has been 6ft by 12 ft inside and 10 ft by 12 ft outside. Barrels are under that extra 2 ft on each side. Like an outrigger. I strap my barrels w/ ratchet straps. You can usually get a 4 pak on sale from Northern for 10 to 12 bucks. We have three barrels in front and in back so we need 12 straps. They last forever. Spray them w/ lube every year after using and they are ready for the next year. I bolt a 3" by 12" piece of pipe to the front corners then drive 1-1/2" by 10' length of pipe down through them to hold the blind in position. Goes up or down w/ water as needed. This is in a pothole w/ little wind effect. I would think if you are out on open water it would be wise to stake all four corners. Saw a blind @ Sanganois get flipped on its back last year. Not staked, just anchored w/ rope and weights. Never underestimate the power of mother nature !!!
rism
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Best thing I have found for anchoring a blind is to use steel pipe that is driven into the mud/sand and attach it to the blind so the blind can ride up and down the pipe. We use a 1/2in thick x 3 in wide strip of flat stock bent in a u shape to attach the pipe. This as worked well for us on the Mississippi river. Just make sure the pipe is plenty long enough if the water comes up a lot in the area your blind is. The other big thing is to make sure the pipe is level.
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby 2takem » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks everyone for the help!

Have heard alot of people using the metal pipes, only problem is the dnr will not let use the metal pipes. So we may have to construct some "wood poles" sota speak.

This has def been a learning adventure, but should all be worth it in the end!!

Good luck this season!! :beer:
2takem
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:04 pm

If the state park your referring to happens to be at the chain of lakes. I wouldn't use barrels unless you plan on pulling your blind out by Thanksgiving. I herd that poly barrels and ice don't work well together. Jaysweet has the tech. most guy's use out there.2x12's framed-out like your framing a basement. marine plywood on the bottom, exp. foam, trim flat,topped with more marine plywood. Ours has been floating for a few year's now,frozen-up in ice and pulled in the spring.we use doubled-up 2x4's. last year I think we had 12 spikes. Good luck.
mallardhead
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:08 pm

one more thing make sure the blind can move up and down for changing water levels.
mallardhead
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Mallard, I like the idea of doubling up on the 2x4. when we have more brackets made next year, I'll suggest it. We have enough for the next year. In fact, I think we are setting our club blind this weekend. Early season is just around the corner.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Jay, are you seeing much action in the sky ?. The skies down river are totally empty.
mallardhead
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Not much more than singles and pairs. It seems like this is the pattern. Groups pretty much start flying the second week of season. At least up by the state line.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby 2takem » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 pm

More work to be done and strighten out poles, but the plan was to get it set and walls up yesterday. First time with a floating blind, so learning a lil bit here and there but my uncle did a pretty good job!
Attachments
image.jpg
2takem
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Make sure to chain anchor some cinderblocks or anchors. U wouldn't believe how many of those state blind end up floating down river after the first 30mph wind storm. When we put our floater in it gets the staked 2x4 's. and four separately chained cinderblocks. Good luck out there
malrdmasher
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting