Brushing in a Blind

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Brushing in a Blind

Postby fulldraw85 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:45 am

I just bought a used, but in mint condition, beavertail boat blind for my 18' War Eagle. However, the blind does not have vegetation straps on it, which left me puzzled, but for the price, couldnt pass up the deal... So, i am thinking of cleaver ways for concealment. My thought was to buy or locate some recylced/used Batting cage netting to drape over the blind and secure it. Then, purchase some Avery Killer Weed and clip it onto the net material, as well as mix in natural cut vegetation at each hunting location to naturally blend in. I would take off the netting and killerweed at each location and store in a tote after each trip, for better pack up and easy storage.

if anyone has any better advice or tips, i am open ears! Thanks guys.
fulldraw85
hunter

Re: Brushing in a Blind

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:13 am

Never knew the Beavertail didnt have stubble straps. Two options. Get them sown on or bird netting. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 1142070350. A lot of people will suggest fish netting, camo netting or landscape fencing. The bird netting is 2" diamonds and just as effective. Plus the price can't be beat.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Never knew the Beavertail didnt have stubble straps. Two options. Get them sown on or bird netting. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 1142070350. A lot of people will suggest fish netting, camo netting or landscape fencing. The bird netting is 2" diamonds and just as effective. Plus the price can't be beat.

Im pretty sure thats whats on mine and works well.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby fulldraw85 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks guys, just ordered that aviary bird nettting off of Ebay. Now to buy some Avery Killerweed.. Does anyone know how well that that killer weed rolls/folds up and packs on the beavertail blinds. I thought about putting the grass bundles on a clip system or caribiners, so that way i can easily clip them on and off each time of use for easy storage and for longevity.

Thanks
fulldraw85
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:37 pm

I just used zip ties on mine. But mine is fast grass and not a beavertail blind. Mine is no different than any other homemade blind out there. And the fast grass tucks really well into the canvas tarp. I've had it at 70 MPH on the interstate with no problems. I guess it will all depend on how thick you put it on.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Taking raffia or any other type of brush off after each hunt will get old very quickly. Well, at least in my book it would. To each their own.

Take pictures as you go along and post them up. A lot of people have the same questions as you do.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:04 am

My Beavertail blind is about 6 years old and it did come with stubble straps on it. It might be for sale.
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:43 am

I've been running the Cabelas Northern flight blind for the last 3 years with absolutely no problems. I didn't buy the rain/weather shield. Instead, we layered in the following order:

Black heavy duty tarp (wind/rain layer)

Camo burlap (depth/holding layer)
- we left enough to extend around the motor and act as a motor cover as well :thumbsup:

Avery Killer Weed zip tied in small bunches.

I start from the bottom and lay it on like roofing shingles. Ensuring that there is enough to overhang to water level. I should mention that we zip tie through the burlap only and Last, I throw on as much natural cover from the area we're hunting as I can find.
Some might call it anal, but I am a beliver that you can NEVER have too much camo.

We also made some covers from 1/4 in plywood to cover in between hunters otherwise, it will look like a gaping hole from above not to mention, it helps keep the heat inside, and allows us to hide better.

At the end of the hunt everything rolls up nicely inside the tarp so we don't have to worry about losing any camo while running down the highway.

I've run that boat/blind across several states over the last few years and have never had a problem.

Hope this helps!
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:55 am

I guess I lied in regards to the netting I used. That netting was on the blind we had on out last boat. The stuff on my blind now is some plastic/nylon stuff I had laying around. Anways, heres a few pics of mine. Similar to blackcloud's but homebuilt instead of a Cabela's blind. It mounts to the boat with c-clamps and goes on and comes off in about 5 minutes. It takes less than that to set up each morning. We cover the gaps between hunters with sheets of fast grass draped over the top. The canvas/netting is held to the frame by a piece of flat stock screwed to the face of the frame. Then the canvas is "rolled" over the top so there is not bare metal showing to have to paint or scratch a gun, etc.

supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Super87-Your 4th picture I have seen before. Can't put my finger on it though.

And, homemade blind is the way to go comparing costs. I have a PVC tarp and Cordura, which is most of my cost, and it's only $260.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:53 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Super87-Your 4th picture I have seen before. Can't put my finger on it though.

And, homemade blind is the way to go comparing costs. I have a PVC tarp and Cordura, which is most of my cost, and it's only $260.

It may be in a thread in the boat forum... I dont think I've got $75 in my blind. I just chopped up the old blind that came with the boat and modified it to what I wanted. Then picked through the fast grass that came with it and pieced it all together. For how many chances a year I get to use it, it can't be beat.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:18 pm

Nice rig! Exactly what I am looking for. It will have to wait until next year.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:37 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Nice rig! Exactly what I am looking for. It will have to wait until next year.

No it won't :thumbsup:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Ha! Tell the wife that one. Plus, I def do not want two boats. Pain to just have one.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:49 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Nice rig! Exactly what I am looking for. It will have to wait until next year.

It's a beater but thanks. It floats and hides well though.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:58 pm

All that matters. It's a duck boat. Doesn't need to look pretty.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting