Rice lake water levels

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Rice lake water levels

Postby 2takem » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Anyone know if rice lake pumps more water into the lake itself come hunting season? I assume they don't but you know what happens when you assume.

Just trying to get an idea of how much the lake will fluxuate minus rains/floods.
Im going to try and call the dnr as well but i know there not always there to answer the phones.

Thanks guys!
2takem
hunter

Re: Rice lake water levels

Postby brickgw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:49 pm

They are able to pump if they need to but I beleive this they all the lakes still have water.
brickgw
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Anyone know if the new pump are up in running or are they still under construction?
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby lattehead » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Last edited by lattehead on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lattehead
hunter

Postby rism » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:52 am

If anyone tells you there isn't any money in the budget to pump tell them they are either (1) flat out lying or (2) don't know what they are talking about. I had this conversation w/ my local senator a while back. Pittman-Robertson taxes that come back to the states are to be used for purposes like this. If the Site manager doesn't know this then he should be FORMALLY informed. This is true for any State area in Illinois that needs to be pumped for waterfowl. My senator was trying to tell me budget this, budget that BS BS BS. When he got to checking it out he found out what I was talking about. There were millions of dollars in that account. It was the same money Blago tried to steal for other purposes a few years back. Call and e-mail your reps day after day after day after day until they reply w/ actual fact to you !!!
rism
hunter

Postby Keny656 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:16 pm

I was out on the 31st of july on the back lakes doing some teal scouting and there was plenty of water there. not sure how much as dont have a depth finder but i was able to run a long shaft motor through there without kicking up any mud. i was going slow but still would have kicked it up. never hit any stumps either. The duck island portion was way up from where it normally is.
Rain Kead my Friends, Rain Kead.
Keny656
hunter

Postby hunter1967 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 am

Was out teal hunting the last few days of season and goose pond was extremely shallow...even with a mud motor...like a foot deep. Big lake is accessible as well as the main lake. From what I have heard..they are going to pump it back up a little but will take longer because they have to pump over the new levee into the old ditch then pump it from there to the main lake and Big lake. But thats just what I've heard...so take it as ya will. Obviously if we get a little rain..that'll help
hunter1967
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:41 am

Big lake seemed to be about the same level as it was last year. Shallow. It would be nice if they pump it up into the timber line and into the willows. Should not have to many issues getting to blinds on rice right now. There is plenty of water for an outboard, just stay on plane for as long as possible or let her eat through the mud.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:31 am

rism wrote:If anyone tells you there isn't any money in the budget to pump tell them they are either (1) flat out lying or (2) don't know what they are talking about. I had this conversation w/ my local senator a while back. Pittman-Robertson taxes that come back to the states are to be used for purposes like this. If the Site manager doesn't know this then he should be FORMALLY informed. This is true for any State area in Illinois that needs to be pumped for waterfowl. My senator was trying to tell me budget this, budget that BS BS BS. When he got to checking it out he found out what I was talking about. There were millions of dollars in that account. It was the same money Blago tried to steal for other purposes a few years back. Call and e-mail your reps day after day after day after day until they reply w/ actual fact to you !!!

I think you're referring to duck stamp dollars and they get ~$250,000 a year for maintenance and fuel on state sites. states don't get PR dollars unless they write a grant for reimbursement.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting