Northern Illinois spots without a boat

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Northern Illinois spots without a boat

Postby Illini40 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Hello everyone,

Could you provide insight on what Northen Illinois locations have public hunting in which a boat is not needed? I am trying to find a place that I could occasionally pop out to without a boat or dog. I am fortunate enough to hunt with group that has access to everything, but I am curious on quick options for a day or two that I'm not hunting with them and don't have a boat and dog.

I have searched on Illinois DNR, but I have a tough time getting any real information on what types of blinds/locations are available from the fact sheets.

Thank you!
Illini40
hunter

Re: Northern Illinois spots without a boat

Postby luie b » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Public spots are gonna be hard to find that are accessible without a boat besides the walk-ins. I would try to ask around and find a pond or something on private land that has ducks around it.
luie b
hunter

Postby goose breath » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:47 am

Try the McHenry County Conservation District. They have all kinds of land both owned by the county or under management for landowners/farmers.
goose breath
Newb

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:15 pm

I did the mchenry county program a few years ago. Killed a couple ducks. Goose field hunting wasn't so good. I've heard the goose hunting has gotten better. Kid that works at the bait shop was doing it. He said they killed better than 40, they have a big spread. They had it all wired down.

The road to diabetes will be
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby lckstckn2smknbrls » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:27 pm

To hunt McHenry conservation you need to take their hunting safety / course first.
lckstckn2smknbrls
hunter

Postby dang-i-missed-again » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:42 pm

not sure where u are, but just north of hennepin there is the donnelly state wildlife area. $10 to hunt and they have row boats there to use and decoys at the blinds for you to put out. not the best hunting if there is no food, but can be good on flight days.
dang-i-missed-again
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Duck Ranch at Henry. Sign in is at Marshal County Conservation Area. You can put in for permits or go down and hope to get drawn.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting