Anyone seeing flight in Northern Illinois?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Anyone seeing flight in Northern Illinois?

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:21 pm

I feel like I should be seeing more flight than what I'm seeing. Early goose is less than 2 weeks away. Haven't seen much flight at all.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Re: Anyone seeing flight in Northern Illinois?

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:26 pm

I see birds fly. I never see migration this early though. Might get a few, but nothing to speak of.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Had a group of 9 geese fly over my house this morning. Thats the first Ive seen since probly spring. Usually theres alot more then that around here. Last year there was probly around 200 or so locals. Ive been driving around looking for em, found some backwater with some mallards and woodies, but no teal yet. Wheres the geese?
Boocephus
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:06 pm

My buddy saw 12 geese sitting 50 yards down from the spot we'll be hunting September 1st. No flight though.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Happens every year.

@Xtrema. Keep up the good calling! I heard your YouTube video.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Saw my first local group fly this past weekend. It's seems like the geese really start flying by the second week of early season. First week we get skunked. Second, we wear em out.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Teal season is what , 3 weeks away ? One must not forget that it's predicted to be a "Great Year " . Time will tell .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Grossy23 wrote:...it's predicted to be a "Great Year " . Time will tell .

I hear this every year. Just as much as the wife tells me I am getting laid every night. :thumbsup: That never happens either.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:45 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:
Grossy23 wrote:...it's predicted to be a "Great Year " . Time will tell .

I hear this every year. Just as much as the wife tells me I am getting laid every night. :thumbsup: That never happens either.

Hahahaha!

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 am

Just saw my first group of 10 in the sky this morning at 7. First time since spring
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby brickgw » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 am

Seen a group if 13 join up with a pair while out on the river Sunday. No teal yet.
brickgw
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:02 am

Plenty of honks around. They're just hanging out in the subdivision retention ponds :fingerhead:
Saw the first legitimate "group" of teal (8 or 9) last night while running the pooch in a forest preserve lake. I don't know how this bodes for the early season, buy it's venture to say that, If you are in an area with high water and mud (South), you ought to do fairly well on teal.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Some teal rode in the cool weather last week. Saw a couple little bunches of 5 or six and one big group of about 30 or so.

Resident geese are about non-existent here this year, thousands around last year early season and just a handful this year. One of my fields had sweet corn in it, got picked last week and normally it'd have several hundred geese in it, had 30 as of this morning.

The river is really low and the sandbars (usually full of geese) have very very few.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby goose breath » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:39 pm

I agree with DH50. I have been up and down Pool 12 the past couple of weekends. Very few long necks around. The high water of this spring and early summer took its toll on nesting. Back for more scouting this weekend. Same thing here in McHenry County.
goose breath
Newb

Postby Corn_stubble » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:17 am

I had about 20 or so geese in a freshly cut oat field yesterday evening. Seen seven teal in the drainage pond on Sunday. But haven't seen them since. On a good note I have noticed a larger than usual amount of Doves in the area.
Corn_stubble
Newb

Postby sureshot 612 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:40 am

around downers grove not much going on .not even a lot of locals even duck # are down this year. i dont do early goose dont have a place to go but i like to keep up with what is going on
OCT. 25TH LET THE PUBLIC FUN BEGIN
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby justinduckman7 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Not many around my spots either. Hopefully the show up
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:36 am

I feel like we don't really wanna see the bluewings until it's just before season because we don't want them to blow through us early like last year. I remember debating whether or not to hunt the last weekend of teal season last year because I knew most of the bluewings were gone but I got up anyway because I had even seen some groups of greenwingers coming through :eek:
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:01 am

Blue wings blow through quickly. It doesn't matter how early you see them, there are always more behind them. The last week of the early season last year we had tremendous numbers up around me, and every one was talking up that all the birds had already been through, Louisiana and Texas were full of em. We killed a bunch of green wings the early season opener last year. Blue Wing Teal migrations aren't affected by the weather as much as other species, they are more of a calendar migrator and when early season roles around, they are pushin through. I'm on the river every day in August and every year, the first bluewings show up the second week of August like clockwork.

On another note, I saw the most geese I've seen congregated in one place that I have seen all summer last night. There were 53 on a sandbar, going to be about the most pathetic early season we've had in our parts for a while.
diverhunter50
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting