Late season honker hunt

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Late season honker hunt

Postby Greeny » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:14 am

A friend and me are planing on traveling to northern Illinois a couple days after wi goose season closes to expand our season. We would be trying to get on fields this would be our first freelance hunt. Im not asking for specific hunting spots just info for non-resident hunting in Illinois~licenses, places to stay, things to watch out for. Thanks,
Greeny
hunter

Re: Late season honker hunt

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:59 pm

Northern zone is pretty expansive. Hopefully you are use to hearing "no." IL DNR website you can purchase licenses. Pitch a tent. Watch out for the police, Conservation police, **** Cheney, bad weather, speed bumps and deer in the road in the morning.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Greeny » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:50 am

Would farther south be a better option?
Greeny
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:03 pm

It can be. Most your geese in Souther WI take pit stops in Northern IL and Central IL. I do not hunt the Northern zone to often and I am sure someone here can point you in the right direction. You'll have to pound the pavement and scout. You aren't a waterfowler unless you "bird watch" and drool. I am freelancing in WI next week and so far so good. It's all part of waterfowling. You can't expect to be where birds are by pure luck.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Well if you want a place to pay hunt you can venture to Victoria il or draw at Victoria at snake den. Hollow or get a hold of cabin fever for a pay hunt. Victoria hold a lot of birds due to all the stripe mines. But realistically just to freelance in the northern zone the word NO !!!!! Is common. Plus Victoria is in are central zone which give you the opportunity to hunt till jan 31.
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby fullbored » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:04 pm

justinduckman7 wrote:Well if you want a place to pay hunt you can venture to Victoria il or draw at Victoria at snake den. Hollow or get a hold of cabin fever for a pay hunt. Victoria hold a lot of birds due to all the stripe mines. But realistically just to freelance in the northern zone the word NO !!!!! Is common. Plus Victoria is in are central zone which give you the opportunity to hunt till jan 31.

Don't come to far south of I-80 for geese and for sure for sure don't go south of I-70.
fullbored
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:13 pm

fullbored wrote:
justinduckman7 wrote:Well if you want a place to pay hunt you can venture to Victoria il or draw at Victoria at snake den. Hollow or get a hold of cabin fever for a pay hunt. Victoria hold a lot of birds due to all the stripe mines. But realistically just to freelance in the northern zone the word NO !!!!! Is common. Plus Victoria is in are central zone which give you the opportunity to hunt till jan 31.

Don't come to far south of I-80 for geese and for sure for sure don't go south of I-70.

I forgot about big guys hunt club in mazonia il a buddy of mine guides up their and they do pretty we'll. theirs a few good spots up in that area. Not to sure about public hunting up that way
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:26 pm

justinduckman7 wrote:I forgot about big guys hunt club in mazonia il a buddy of mine guides up their and they do pretty we'll. theirs a few good spots up in that area. Not to sure about public hunting up that way

Eric runs a good club at the Big Guys. A few guides are veterans, but can easily ruin a hunt. Seems like his website is no longer up and running and his FB accounts hasn't been updated in the last few years.

http://www.bigguysgooseclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Guys-Goose-Club/151041621582603

Greeny, are you looking to hunt with clubs or freelance?
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Greeny » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:09 pm

(Greeny, are you looking to hunt with clubs or freelance?)[/quote]
I am just looking to get out hunting after our season closes nothing in particular and right now the best option looks like going to some type of club to get a chance at birds at all
Greeny
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 pm

If you are going club route, I would recommend Fox Vally Guide Service or Braidwood Hunt Club. Both are reputable clubs. The geese arrive at each two separate times of the year.

http://www.comekillgeese.com

http://www.braidwoodlakehuntclub.com
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting