For Those New Boots This Year...

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

For Those New Boots This Year...

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:19 pm

This is not how you harvest waterfowl of any specie! I feel ashamed to even watch it. I thought sky busting around Horicon was over exaggerated. Truth be told click the link. Turn up the volume. Take special attention to 0:12-0:14.

http://youtu.be/OT26Tst_7Fo
KillerKowalski
hunter

Re: For Those New Boots This Year...

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Holy balls, that's horrible!
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:58 am

When southern Illinois was in it's heyday as the Canada Goose Capital of the world, the locals had a saying, "There is no such thing as a goose out of range to a person from Chicago." Obviously, those people are now hunting around Horicon.
To me, the truly amazing thing is the guy posted it...and I don't think it was a how NOT to hunt video...but I really couldn't watch it to the end.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:13 am

Maybe they were shooting those heavy shot dead coyote shells, those claim to kill out to 75 yards. But seriously a good rule of thumb is if your gun barrel is covering the goose he's too far. I'm not saying I only call the shot when they're completely committed but I at least call the geese in for a close look, they may not be cupped but they're still doing a close fly by.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Seen guys shoot like that at Braidwood too.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby SDMF » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:36 am

supr87gt wrote:Seen guys shoot like that at Braidwood too.

Yep! Seen it too. And on the kank river and the desplaines and the.... well, you get the point!
Team Rasputin: NEVER SAY DIE
SDMF
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:41 am

luie b wrote:Maybe they were shooting those heavy shot dead coyote shells, those claim to kill out to 75 yards. But seriously a good rule of thumb is if your gun barrel is covering the goose he's too far.

Please save the respect for our generation as least a little bit. Our generation seems to use new ammo technology as an excuse to take a shot pushing a respective kill distance even further.

When I first started hunting geese I took a few sky busts. I was sixteen, hunting by myself and didn't know any better. Soon you learn the hard way. Paying for ammo on the V.F.W. Friday night fish fry "salary" I learned to keep the ammo that I had for those moments that I could actually kill a bird.

Last season was a routine. (I hate to say this) hunting geese became little challenge. I never experienced it. We would set up and they would come. Some days not even a cluck out of the layouts. Other days the doors wide open and BSing. One day the sun into our face (the wind direction wasn't in our favor that day for that particular field), doors open and BSing and for minutes birds were in the spread and didn't say anything. But, 35-40 yards is the furthest I will even think about it. Geese were killed at about 15-20 yards all last year and there were misses still.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:47 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
luie b wrote:Maybe they were shooting those heavy shot dead coyote shells, those claim to kill out to 75 yards. But seriously a good rule of thumb is if your gun barrel is covering the goose he's too far.

Please save the respect for our generation as least a little bit. Our generation seems to use new ammo technology as an excuse to take a shot pushing a respective kill distance even further.

When I first started hunting geese I took a few sky busts. I was sixteen, hunting by myself and didn't know any better. Soon you learn the hard way. Paying for ammo on the V.F.W. Friday night fish fry "salary" I learned to keep the ammo that I had for those moments that I could actually kill a bird.

Last season was a routine. (I hate to say this) hunting geese became little challenge. I never experienced it. We would set up and they would come. Some days not even a cluck out of the layouts. Other days the doors wide open and BSing. One day the sun into our face (the wind direction wasn't in our favor that day for that particular field), doors open and BSing and for minutes birds were in the spread and didn't say anything. But, 35-40 yards is the furthest I will even think about it. Geese were killed at about 15-20 yards all last year and there were misses still.

Wow ever heard of sarcasm. Obviously they weren't using fancy shells, or maybe they were but it doesn't matter because you can't kill a goose from that distance anyway. And don't get all "you're disrespecting our generation" because if we can't joke around about hunting and have a good time it ain't worth hunting. Am I supporting these guys in the video? No. Am I claiming that good shotgun shells are an excuse to take long ridiculous shots? No.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby rism » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 am

Amen Killer, Amen. :clapping: I never did understand the challenge in killing a goose if you get it to 20 -30 yds. The actual shooting is just the finishing touch. Calling them and getting them to that range is the challenge. I get 20 - 40 every year in January depending on when they show up down here. 3 floaters, 3 sleepers, 6 feeders 1 sentry, dead meat.
rism
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:49 am

Took a buddy to Rend Lake final day of season. Forget which year.
A kid drew the island blind. He shot a snowgoose from way high. After everyone saw that the max range on their guns increased by fifty yards and it was a shooting gallery at any duck or goose that came by within 150 yards.
I wanted to shoot that kid because everyones hunt was ruined after he shot that damned snowgoose.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Blackcloud870 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:12 pm

This makes me want to punch people.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Having hunted Horicon area now I understand this video. Doing research before I left last week I obviously Googled and YouTubed and searched the crap out of "Horicon." This is the hunting technique for most of the hunters there. I hate to say it. But, really it shouldn't be. Their geese are no different than our geese. Actually last year my group killed several bands banded in Horicon. Hmmm. Their geese still land in fields to feed just like ours do. So, I did a little scouting while I was there. The marsh is lined with stand up plywood blinds that are at least 75 yards away from the marsh. These geese barely skim the tree tops coming out. These "hunters" sit in the stand ups with their tightest chokes and T shot and pray for Hail Mary. Now, the dang geese they are shooting at are leaving the marsh to feed in a field any way. I seen it! Thousands upon thousands pouring into cut fields. Different culture there. That is for sure. Living there I wouldn't be able to call myself a goose hunter ever. Having DNR tell me I only can kill 2-10 geese a year is a joke. This year it is 6. I will admit it's pretty damn easy to kill there though. A lot of really smart Wisconsin Canadas.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby ReaperWaterFowl » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:27 am

Want to see some sky blasting? Go to the chain and watch a bunch of idiots shoot at birds 60-80yrds over their heads after you have worked to call them in. If you can't call them in, and they are out of reach when the make their way over to my blind, then lay off and let my blind cut them down. :grooving:
BOW-LOWS PRODUCTIONS PROSTAFF
ReaperWaterFowl
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:42 am

ReaperWaterFowl wrote:Want to see some sky blasting? Go to the chain and watch a bunch of idiots shoot at birds 60-80yrds over their heads after you have worked to call them in. If you can't call them in, and they are out of reach when the make their way over to my blind, then lay off and let my blind cut them down. :grooving:

Dont need to go that far to see it. And to think, it was only the youth hunt at Braidwood...
supr87gt
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting