Steel T shot and waterfowl hunting in Illinois

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Steel T shot and waterfowl hunting in Illinois

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Its legal but...
Probably not too healthy for your gun. There is some ratio...how many pellets can fit it the barrel diameter.
Something like that.
There's a safety rule.
T shot violates the rule. Exceeds the ratio set up as a rule of thumb for different gauges etc.

Thats what my father told me anyway.
I dont use T shot.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Re: Steel T shot and waterfowl hunting in Illinois

Postby luie b » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Yea I don't think T shot would work for geese anyway in a 12 gauge. It gets to that point when having bigger pellets doesn't really help you because your pattern sucks so bad. I'm about to go from BB for geese to B or 1. I don't do so much pass shooting anymore so I'm thinking I want to try and stone dead kill what comes into my spread. I've never killed a goose that didn't need tackled or wrung out in my life. They've always been alive still pretty well.
luie b
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:05 am

luie b wrote:Yea I don't think T shot would work for geese anyway in a 12 gauge. It gets to that point when having bigger pellets doesn't really help you because your pattern sucks so bad. I'm about to go from BB for geese to B or 1. I don't do so much pass shooting anymore so I'm thinking I want to try and stone dead kill what comes into my spread. I've never killed a goose that didn't need tackled or wrung out in my life. They've always been alive still pretty well.

BB kills em for me. Not always but most of the time.
Aim for their bills. Shootem in the lips.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 am

luie b wrote: I've never killed a goose that didn't need tackled or wrung out in my life. They've always been alive still pretty well.

Joke?
supr87gt
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:15 pm

supr87gt wrote:
luie b wrote: I've never killed a goose that didn't need tackled or wrung out in my life. They've always been alive still pretty well.

Joke?

No joke. They've always been somehow still alive, either broken wing or are flapping like crazy on the water.
luie b
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Only one place to shoot a goose for a kill shot is in the head. They are tough to kill but it sounds like you need to lead them a little more. I will be flinging a box of T's at em out of my Mag 10 after christmas. Came across a box for cheap so why not.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Sounds to me like they need to be closer. I disagree that you can't kill them unless you shoot them in the head.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 pm

supr87gt wrote:Sounds to me like they need to be closer. I disagree that you can't kill them unless you shoot them in the head.

Well closer is always better. You shoot em were ever you want, I was just saying where the best odds of killing one was. :thumbsup: I don't like shooting at them over 30yds. But the odds of quick killing a goose with a body shot at any distance is decreased. Neck or body gives you the best chance to be able to just walk out into the decoys to pick them up instead of chasing them.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:12 pm

AB i wish you wouldve posted this a lil sooner, I just bought a case of T shot from Rogers. Thought I could use it for late season. I called and asked a gunsmith I know and he said it would be fine, but dont use it with a full choke. And talking about not killing geese, I hit one Sunday, blew the bottom of its beak off, broke its wing, and the sucker dropped and tried to run off. :huh: That was with some Remington BB. It was also banded. My 1st one. Banded in Harrison, IL. in 2007.
Boocephus
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I don't think it's necessarily shot size so much as it is the skill of the shooter and the density of steel shot that has handicapped most hunter's ability to kill geese stone dead.
If you ever get the chance to use TSS 7-1/2 through #9s on geese, you'll learn first hand what I'm talking about :thumbsup:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:54 pm

I'm not for sure about any rule violations, most of it will come down what choke you are using. I agree T's through a 12 gauge seem a bit radical, but you won't know until you pattern it. My 10 gauge Browning patterns T's the best of any shot, and it patterns everything well to begin with. Bottom line pattern your gun and see what works best.

Sprigs
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:19 pm

If more people would pattern their guns and see what your gun likes, more birds would be DRT. Teal hunting on Monday, didn't see any Teal, but a single goose came in at about 25yards flying left to right. One shot, 3" Fiocchi, #6's killed the goose.

I usually use #2's for everything during duck season. I agree that big shot sometimes has bigger holes in the pattern, but get out, pattern the gun and change chokes and see what works. A lot of people pass up on factory modified when it is usually an awesome choke tube.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Most people don't have that much extra cash to spend on 100 different boxes of shells for testing. Not to mention another $800 in various choke tubes to see what works best with what ammo in there gun. I wish I could blow that much cash to find out. Also need to think, some people live in an area where only certain and so much ammo is available. So they just get what they can and hunt. Round bb's and fixed barrels have killed birds for a long time. There is no substitute for shooting practice though.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:28 pm

I shot all my geese with bb and it doesn't matter weather it's a at 10 yds or 50 yds if you are on their head and neck they will come down stone cold dead. If I could figure out how to up load pics I got one of what bb's do to a goose at 40 yds shot out of a browning gold 10 ga and a pattern master shooting nitro steel 13/4 B&B at 1300 fps.
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Most geese I killed last year were anywhere from 5 yards to 25 yards so distance isn't a problem. I did shoot Winchester xperts all season and now that I heard there were defects in them I cut some of their shells open and found lots of irregular looking shot, no it's not meant to be that way either. Some shot was the right size, around BB size, some was a little smaller and there was quite a bit in the shell that was about the same as 7 1/2 so I switched to a better quality shell and went with Kent steel this year so we'll see what happens.
luie b
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:55 am

luie b wrote:I switched to a better quality shell and went with Kent steel this year so we'll see what happens.

That's debatable my friend. Just be sure to clean you gun after each hunt. Kent tends to be on the dirty side.... the very dirty side.

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:49 am

Blackcloud870 wrote:
luie b wrote:I switched to a better quality shell and went with Kent steel this year so we'll see what happens.

Kent tends to be on the dirty side.... the very dirty side.

What if a guy like his shells dirty like he likes his women?? :eek:
gearhead80
hunter

Postby rism » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:53 am

I've been shooting Kent 3" #1's thru my 870 for years now. Just keep the moisture off and out of it during the season and then thoroughly clean it at the end of snow goose season. Never had a problem w/ "dirty Kent shells" ???
rism
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:02 am

gearhead80 wrote:
Blackcloud870 wrote:

Kent tends to be on the dirty side.... the very dirty side.

What if a guy like his shells dirty like he likes his women?? :eek:

Good. Thick and dirty is what I was goin for... :lol3:
luie b
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:29 am

Theres a thread in here somewhere where Illinois hunters argued over the legality of T shot.
Its legal to use steel T on waterfowl however still check site regs which can vary from site to site. In ILLINOIS.
It is not legal to use F shot in Illinois.
Attachments
1378913477017.jpg
aunt betty
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 am

[quote="rism"]I've been shooting Kent 3" #1's thru my 870 for years now. Just keep the moisture off and out of it during the season and then thoroughly clean it at the end of snow goose season. Never had a problem w/ "dirty Kent shells" ???[/quote

It takes a lot more of this type of a concern with a pump gun vs some auto loaders. Pump guns are less affected by such things where as Autos may need to be clean more often to keep the residue off for the parts to move and function properly. Especially gas operated autos. Some shells do tend to be more "dirty" than others depending on powder used I'm guessing.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 am

gearhead80 wrote:
rism wrote:I've been shooting Kent 3" #1's thru my 870 for years now. Just keep the moisture off and out of it during the season and then thoroughly clean it at the end of snow goose season. Never had a problem w/ "dirty Kent shells" ???[/quote

It takes a lot more of this type of a concern with a pump gun vs some auto loaders. Pump guns are less affected by such things where as Autos may need to be clean more often to keep the residue off for the parts to move and function properly. Especially gas operated autos. Some shells do tend to be more "dirty" than others depending on powder used I'm guessing.

0 problems on my Extrema2 with Kent Faststeel 3.5" 2's with a similar cleaning pattern as stated above.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:13 pm

rism wrote:I've been shooting Kent 3" #1's thru my 870 for years now. Just keep the moisture off and out of it during the season and then thoroughly clean it at the end of snow goose season. Never had a problem w/ "dirty Kent shells" ???

Agree to disagree my then friend. Compared to the loads that I've used, including cases of Kent faststeel, blackcloud, hevimetal, and drylocks, the KFS was easily the dirtiest in my experience.

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 pm

luie b wrote:
supr87gt wrote:

Joke?

No joke. They've always been somehow still alive, either broken wing or are flapping like crazy on the water.

We could always use another retriever. We'll provide arm floatys also if interested.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting