Duck Hunting Forum banner

Potters Marsh and Michelsons Landing.....

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Sfd714 
#1 ·
Hey everyone..... Just looking for some insight and any experiences that anyone's had at Potters marsh and Michelsons landing in NW Illinois. I've heard some good things a out these spots but wanted to see what everyone else thought before I put the fuel in the boat and take a trip lol. Any comments much appreciated.

#2 ·
Blinds sites are drawn yearly. U have to hunt within 25 feet of a registered blind stake. Owner must occupy site 30 minutes before shooting time, then first come first serve. Hunting can be decent or suck, just like anywhere. There are a couple sites you can hunt from shore, most u need a boat blind. My suggestion would be to go over a couple afternoons and check things out.

#3 ·
I have hunted area for the last 5 years. Since I'm assuming you did not go to blind drawing you have to be careful we're u try to hunt especialy on the weekends some guys get pretty territorial. Opening weekend all stakes are occupied after that on the weekends only about have are hunted the rest of the year. If you go during a week day only a handful of guys are out and you can pretty much go wherever you please. Hunting all depends on the weather and if you can get there when migrators come down like anywhere else. Good luck any questions you have I'll do my best at answering them for ya.

#5 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies so far. From the sounds of it, if I go during the week I shouldn't have a problem getting Into a spot. Maybe I'll head out there this weekend to scout it out. Any areas I should avoid with an outboard? Or should I be ok just about everywhere?

#6 ·
The river is up a little bit at 11.1 feet, however that is still below normal pool level for this time of year.

Several years back the Corp of Engineers did some dredging in and around there and I believe the channels they dug are not completely silted in. You will be ok with an outboard, you just want to go slow and in the daylight your first couple trips.

The Ranger Office in Thomson has maps available that I am pretty sure have the dredged areas marked.

#7 ·
If you are going to run an outboard, you need to be aware of the fact that there are so many forms of vegetation growing in that marsh, that unless you are very careful, you can plug up the water intake for your motor cooling system. The weeds grow out into the main river and are very hard to run through even if you do not clog your impellers.

You would be far better off with a mud motor or surface drive to go anywhere in that area of the Mississippi.

#8 ·
I can tell you for sure eel grass is super thick and their are some sand bars to watch out for . I usually hunt up their 12-15 times a year and I go up farther north as well up their the stumps are bad. Just to be safe go run around up their for a day or two so you can figure out where to be and not to be . This is how I figured it out and a buddy has hunted up their for yrs .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.