Water Usage Stamps and Legal Distance to Structures

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Water Usage Stamps and Legal Distance to Structures

Postby brownduck » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm new to Illinois and some of the regulations are fairly confusing. Perhaps someone on the forum can clarify things for me.

I bought a Water Usage Stamp for my canoe, but I am not certain how to attach it. I asked a few people at DNR, and they didn't know either. So far as I know, the stamp must be physically attached to the boat; however, it is not a sticker. How have other people attached theirs? I ended up zip-tying it to a thwart until I find out how other people have done it.

Another question is about the legal distance to hunt near structures.

Here's a quote from the regs: "It is unlawful to hunt or allow a dog to hunt within 300 yards of an inhabited dwelling without first obtaining permission of the owner or tenant of the dwelling. Except: A 100-yard restriction shall apply while trapping, hunting with bow and arrow, or hunting with shotgun using shotshells only, or on licensed game breeding and hunting preserve areas, on federally owned and managed lands, on DNR owned,-managed, -leased or -controlled lands and areas operated under a Waterfowl Hunting Area permit."

I read this to mean that when hunting with a rifle or a shotgun with slugs, you must be 300 or more yards from any inhabited building. Does this mean that you can legally use a shotgun with shotshells (as in field hunting for waterfowl) up to 100 yards from any inhabited structure (without specific permission), or does the 300-yard restriction still apply (assuming you have permission or legal access to the area you want to hunt in)? What is a working definition of an inhabited building? Do grain silos, cow barns, and so forth count, or does this refer to any building that is not vacant or abandoned? Different states have different rules about this, and the hunting regs for Illinois are pretty vague.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks!
brownduck
hunter

Re: Water Usage Stamps and Legal Distance to Structures

Postby luie b » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 pm

I tried figuring out my water usage stamp, which no one knew how to attach it. They give you that thing with it that if you peel the cover off, you put the back of the stamp onto this which makes the back of the stamp sticky so it can be put on the boat. The instructions are pretty much impossible and look like they were hastily given but don't put it on backwards like I did. The sticky stuff is on the front of mine so I had to glue the back of it so it would stick. So now the front of it looks gross because it has a bunch of crap stuck to it :lol3:. This water stamp is the state of illinois at its finest.
luie b
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:45 am

Duct tape on the edges worked for me.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:06 pm

The usage stamp has a second part that you did not get.
You open the sticker thing...it has glue on it. You stick the stamp to the glue....wait ten minutes. Peel and stick.
Very weird setup but the "glue card" is separate and should have been issued at time of sale.
That sticker is two weeks old and cant be read. This whole idea is BRILLIANT!!!!
Attachments
1379700678470.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:19 pm

aunt betty wrote:That sticker is two weeks old and cant be read. This whole idea is BRILLIANT!!!!

Aunt Betty for DNR Director!!! :hammer: :beer:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:35 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:
aunt betty wrote:That sticker is two weeks old and cant be read. This whole idea is BRILLIANT!!!!

Aunt Betty for DNR Director!!! :hammer: :beer:

I sent the same picture to the DNR Director today. Said fix it.
I refuse to buy another permit that fades in the sun.
Who thought this crazy idea up?
Was it you?

I am quite sure it wil be fixed Monday after he reads and deletes my email@.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby brownduck » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this is a little bogus. Thanks for the replies.
brownduck
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting