Blind 149 on pool 16

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Blind 149 on pool 16

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:51 am

After we finished brushing up our blind last Sunday we decided to take a ride around to check out other blinds to find out which were being built and which weren't. We came across blind 149 to find their boat hide was laying in the water after a 40mph wind and that it was a floating blind. Having hunted that blind the past 2 years it concerned me a bit seeing it was a floater in that spot. We have had multiple days with 3-4 ft rollers in that location along with one morning finding a Spoonbill half way up the blind caught up in the brush. Don't know if the blind builder's are members of this site or not but I would hope that they have their blind secured and anchored better that the boat hide had been. Be sure you have life jackets and a couple whistles in the blind at all times. Be safe and good luck this year.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Re: Blind 149 on pool 16

Postby Ed L. » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 pm

I've never hunted that area preferring the interior but I've heard through the years how bad that area can be when a strong W/NW wind howls up the channel. I wouldn't want to be bobbing about in a floater out there personally. We're in Patterson where we hope the birds want to be on those nasty days. Good luck with your season.
Ed L.
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Ya, Ed, but you still got to go across Andalusia Slough...and that can get pretty rough, too. Not as rough as it would be at 149, where there is a LOOOONG stretch for the wind to howl, but rough none the less.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:15 pm

riverrat47 wrote:Ya, Ed, but you still got to go across Andalusia Slough...and that can get pretty rough, too. Not as rough as it would be at 149, where there is a LOOOONG stretch for the wind to howl, but rough none the less.

Riverrat47, that is true. Been many times through the years we'd run upstream on the ramp side using the bluff as a break then turn nose into the wind trim the bow up and angle across the slough into the wind. Been many times I've turned around and went home too...LOL. Even a couple of times I spent the night on the islands too. I carry a possibles box on the boat with a dry bag that includes items for making a shelter, hatchet, parachute cord, multi-tool, lighter, box of farmer matches, plastic bag of dryer lint, small led light on a lanyard, extra batteries, Colman emergency heater that can heat food or water, fleece blanket, Boy Scout type cookset, bottle of water, instant coffee, a can of pork and beans and TP.
Ed L.
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:00 pm

I thought I was the only one who carried all that stuff.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby RB391 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 am

I seee that blind has since moved with a detached boat hide. Is it the same blind or did someone else get it?
RB391
Newb

Postby GA01440 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:41 pm

This is the same blind. Anyone who thinks they can put a floater blind and tac a permanent boat hide to it has got to be crazy. I agree that the water gets really rough out there, but we had it years ago and it is nothing to shot a 5 man limit on a daily basis when they are flying. You get a lot of river ducks, but we had our fair share of mallards and geese. I personally would never trust a floater out there. It would make a man sea sick to sit there and bob up and down all day. when we had it we built a blind with 16 4x4 posts so it couldn't go anywhere. The boys that do have it ruined that spot for this season and should have to give it up. With a dozen decoys hidden on the island they will never fire a shot.... What a waste of a great spot to hunt...
GA01440
Newb

Postby JESTERxHEAD » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:43 am

riverrat47 wrote:Ya, Ed, but you still got to go across Andalusia Slough...and that can get pretty rough, too. Not as rough as it would be at 149, where there is a LOOOONG stretch for the wind to howl, but rough none the less.

Last year I was hunting an open blind (146, which happened to be one of the worst blind builds I have ever seen) that day and I saw a group of hunters turn right around after they encountered that large gap after the last tree line down river of 146. It's gets bad there in a hurry.
JESTERxHEAD
Newb

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting