Federal shutdown??

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Federal shutdown??

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:34 am

If this federal shutdown crap continues to opening day will this affect places like Michealsons/Potters Marsh areas that are federally controlled? Apparently this is a little bit of an issue up north in MN were the season has started and guys can't hunt certain locations. Boy I hope not..

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/open-c ... -other-fed
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Re: Federal shutdown??

Postby rism » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 am

As I have said on another forum: Gentlemen this is YOUR and MY land. It does not belong to the Federal Government. WE the TAXPAYERS own it no matter what the Federal idiots like to think. If they can't afford to have someone there overseeing it that's their problem not ours. We need to stand up in mass unity, bolt cutters, chainsaws, whatever it takes I will go hunting or fishing. If they want to arrest me that's fine. I'll be back there the day I get out !!! This is the main problem I have w/ the government. As a whole entity it is so screwed up it ain't even funny. Most of the federal employees are everyday folks that just want to do their job and take care of their families. Even they don't understand how messed up it is as a whole.
rism
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:47 am

As of this morning, the Mickleson's boat ramp was open.

The viewing areas at spring lake and the refuge office are locked up tighter than a drum.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:57 am

I don't believe there is any way they can lock that ramp. I don't remember seeing a gate anywhere. But if all this is going on and I show up to hunt there for the youth weekend I don't need a DNR officer taking me away in cuffs for taking the kids hunting out there.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:55 am

All the other ramps in the area have gates that I have seen locked, so I am fairly sure Mickleson's has one as well. I believe it is where the split in the road is and I think I have seen it locked during unsafe high water conditions. ( :huh: That's bothering me I am going to have to go check it out tonight (ramp at the dam has a gate, causeway ramp has one, cattail slough has one and big slough has one, I don't see why Mickleson's wouldn't).

According to an article in the local newspaper today, "most local boat ramps" will remain "unlocked" as local PDs have agreed to patrol these areas for the duration of the government lockout. Reasons stated were "to allow commercial fisherman and recreational users access to the river". The lock and dam system will remain in service to allow at least minimal commerce up and down the river.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:37 pm

HAHA sorry for making you doubt yourself.... Let me know what you discover and Thank you!!
gearhead80
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:18 pm

gearhead80
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:58 pm

When Illinois closed a dozen state parks a few years ago, under blago, those who ignored the closed signs got fairly heavy fines and some returned to find their vehicles had been towed.
Obviously, I'm not a lawyer, but cutting chains, etc. to gain access, as some have suggested on other sites, might open you up to criminal prosecution-criminal trespass (?), which could affect all portions of your life...like firearm ownership.
I'm not saying I agree with this BS, but it's just something to think about before throwing a temper tantrum and getting into serious trouble. After all, only our elected officials can act like spoiled 4 year olds and not be punished for it.
Internet lawyers, like brig lawyers, advice is worth exactly as much as you are paying for it.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Oh I hear ya. There is a lot of stuff flying around, but nothing really is stating what is closed and what is still open and what you can and can't do. You know, how the government typically operates. Cuz here is another article, but it just generalizes. And I'm not sure what the place I have mentioned really is.

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/government-s ... like%22%7D
gearhead80
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:39 pm

That's an interesting article. I would like to see a list of the 561 closed USFWS refuges closed. Anyone have or seen it???

The newspaper article I read said the Mississippi River will be open to recreational users. To me that includes waterfowl hunting. There were several boats out fishing today.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:59 pm

diverhunter50 wrote:That's an interesting article. I would like to see a list of the 561 closed USFWS refuges closed. Anyone have or seen it???

The newspaper article I read said the Mississippi River will be open to recreational users. To me that includes waterfowl hunting. There were several boats out fishing today.

As far as I know, the fishing in that area is not regulated by the feds. Where as the waterfowl hunting from what I understand is indeed regulated by the feds. The reason I think that is the fact that you have to have the current years license and all the stamps to even be able to draw for a blind. That is my understanding and I am looking for clarification if that is infact true or not.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:46 pm

The river in that area is all FEDERAL (doesn't matter if you are fishing or hunting), part of the Upper Mississippi Fish and Wildlife Refuge, this I am certain of. After reading several things, I am a little concerned about being able to hunt that area. It would be great if any one had information on specific closures (I have not found any). Most things I read state that access land owned by the feds are closed. Can they close the water if you have private access?

Commercial fisherman ARE allowed to continue to fish the federal water (Mississippi River at least).

All I know FOR SURE, is some boat ramps are open (and will remain open) and several people were recreating on the Mississippi River today!

And if I have an open boat ramp I will be recreating for the youth season next weekend there as well.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby gooseslayingfool » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:24 pm

THey put barricades up at crab. signs that read no vehicle traffic past here. Real stupid. Theres no one around the office at night when gov is running and u can fish. Now the gov is closed and no one there and you cant fish. ???????????
gooseslayingfool
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:32 pm

gooseslayingfool wrote:THey put barricades up at crab. signs that read no vehicle traffic past here. Real stupid. Theres no one around the office at night when gov is running and u can fish. Now the gov is closed and no one there and you cant fish. ???????????

Where was this??
gearhead80
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:41 pm

diverhunter50 wrote:The river in that area is all FEDERAL (doesn't matter if you are fishing or hunting), part of the Upper Mississippi Fish and Wildlife Refuge, this I am certain of. After reading several things, I am a little concerned about being able to hunt that area. It would be great if any one had information on specific closures (I have not found any). Most things I read state that access land owned by the feds are closed. Can they close the water if you have private access?

Commercial fisherman ARE allowed to continue to fish the federal water (Mississippi River at least).

All I know FOR SURE, is some boat ramps are open (and will remain open) and several people were recreating on the Mississippi River today!

And if I have an open boat ramp I will be recreating for the youth season next weekend there as well.

Ok, I understand what you are saying. I was wrong about the fishing. But this is where I get confused because of the lack of info out there. If that river is indeed all federally regulated, then they by law every boat ramp from the gulf to MN should be closed. And bardge companies should stop transporting as well. But it's not and there's no way it will happen. So it all just makes no sense to me. I guess I will just have to check for postings at the ramp on the 13th when I take the boys over there to youth hunt.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Heath44 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:49 pm

I would hope to assume that michelsons would be open you don't have to pay to put your boat in like the rest but. Hope to hear that somebody has gone down an checked it out. It could be a disaster for duck season if everything is closed.
Heath44
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:37 pm

I just took a little ride tonight. Corps ramps at Andalusia Slough (Pool 16) and Blanchard Island (Pool 17) were both open this evening. I heard that USFWS ramps in those pools are closed, but don't know for a fact. That would be a hell of a drive to check the USFWS ramps.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Just in case some dont know the federal game wardens are not shutdown. They have to still work and don't get paid until this is settled . They of course get back pay but the irritation to them and their family of not getting a check could lead to people wanting to rebel and go against the govt in jail or with a fine and points against their license. To shed some hope the avg shutdown lasts 6.4 days with 17 being the longest yet I believe. Just pray we don't break a record.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 am

I'm still going to my spot come hell or high water. I've paid my taxes, and I pay for my own health insurance already. The fact that this hapless excuse for a government has once again put their political agendas ahead of serving the people will not end my hunting season. Period.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:23 am

Ramp at Shady Creek campground south of Buffalo, IA is currently still open as of yesterday. That is the ramp we typically use for mid 100 blinds in pool 16. Fairport, IA ramps were also open. Now congress is talking continuation of this through the debt ceiling so I don't know how much longer these Corp ramps will be open.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:04 am

gearhead80
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:53 am

I guess that sums it up... Maybe

To address concerns of waterfowl hunters and anglers, the agency had Tim Andryk, director of WDNR Bureau of Legal Services, review the issue. Andryk said the USFWS has "authority to close their facilities and boat landings, but they cannot close the river to fishing and hunting, and federal officers who cite people for that risk personal liability in state court for violating the state constitutional right to hunt and hunter interference law."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors ... z2ggMkmiaW
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter
gearhead80
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:25 pm

So, it sounds like the feds can't stop you from hunting or fishing on the Miss or Illinois, but if you launch at a Corps or USFWS ramp, you may have to find an alternative ramp. That may be inconvenient and create a long boat ride but usually doable on most pools.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Whats the limit on FGW's? :sarcmark:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:14 pm

What's the point of closing areas? It's not like we needed the people there working 24/7 for us to use the areas. 99% of the time you use a federal area like a boat ramp or park or something you never needed immediate assistance from a federal worker. I just don't see why they spent time and money to get people to work to setup barricades to make sure we Americans can't use the land that WE own.
luie b
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting