Federal shutdown??

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: Federal shutdown??

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Not that it matters much but I came across this today at every entrance and even the roadside binocular pits stops.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380847451.838589.jpg
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:59 pm

gearhead80 wrote:I guess that sums it up... Maybe

To address concerns of waterfowl hunters and anglers, the agency had Tim Andryk, director of WDNR Bureau of Legal Services, review the issue. Andryk said the USFWS has "authority to close their facilities and boat landings, but they cannot close the river to fishing and hunting, and federal officers who cite people for that risk personal liability in state court for violating the state constitutional right to hunt and hunter interference law."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors ... z2ggMkmiaW
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter

Some will still be interfered with. Tickets will be issued and arrests will be made. Problem is the judicial system operates on money. No money no appeal or challenege. Most will settle for a fine or plea bargain and wash their hands. You won't hear about it in a circuit court. It will have to go to appeals for anything to make progress.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:03 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Not that it matters much but I came across this today at every entrance and even the roadside binocular pits stops.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380847451.838589.jpg

Is this a place where you have to check in where it is staffed by someone?
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Yes and no. It's not huntable. It's a refuge. It's staffed though for tourists.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:58 pm

riverrat47 wrote:So, it sounds like the feds can't stop you from hunting or fishing on the Miss or Illinois, but if you launch at a Corps or USFWS ramp, you may have to find an alternative ramp. That may be inconvenient and create a long boat ride but usually doable on most pools.

Well lets see, the ramps I'm familiar with are in pool 13 there is Bulgars Hollow ramp on the Iowa side (county). In pool 14 there is the Princeton Ramp on the Iowa side, The Princeton Marsh ramp (county). In Illinois there is the Albany ramp, Port Byron ramp, Rapid City ramp, Illiniwek Park(until first frost), Empire Park ramp and Moline ramp on the Illinois side. All city owned ramps to the best of my knowledge. I'm not sure of the jurisdiction of the ramp below L&D 14 on the Iowa side. In pool 16 there is Loud Thunder boat ramp (County). Also Ducky's Lagoon's ramp is open to the public and the last time I asked Roger (owner) his ramp is free to use. In pool 17 there is also Crosses Corner ramp south of Blanchard Landing.
Ed L.
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 pm

EdL,
I'm going to set up a cottage industry. If the Corps closes Blanchard (which was open last night), Crosses will be the only ramp, except Muscatine, in Pool 17. I'm going to put up a toll booth and charge $5.00 for launching, $2.00/hr. for parking or $40.00 for an annual permit. I figure could get away with it for a week or two (maybe years) before anyone in Springfield caught on. :yes:
Last edited by riverrat47 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Going downstream, Pool 18: New Boston, Keithsburg and Oquawka are municipal ramps. Toolsboro is USFWS and there is another ramp on the Iowa side, downstream of Keithsburg that is Iowa DNR's, I believe. Pool 19: I think they are all municipal or state owned. Same is true for most pools to the south. There are some, like Saverton & Clarksville, Mo that are Corps (both tailwater ramps) and Turner Landing in Calhoun county is USFWS, and I believe that Canton Chute and Bear Creek access areas (Pool 21) are Corps run, but not sure. Down in the St. Louis Corps District, the Corps Riverlands group basically "claimed" access areas that weren't being maintained by the state. As I'm no longer traveling to those areas, I don't know what's going on with them.
Even if they close all federal ramps, there may be the inconvenience of a longer drive or boat ride, but not an insurmountable problem.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:11 am

Killer, I heard there was some pretty rough storms up there last night, did you make it thru them ok? Also whats the bird population look like today? Hope you get your limits. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 am

Boocephus wrote:Killer, I heard there was some pretty rough storms up there last night, did you make it thru them ok? Also whats the bird population look like today? Hope you get your limits. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Tornado warnings in Waupun. Sat at the bar for brews and the owners wouldn't let me leave. So, she bought me brews to stay. Haven't seen official rainfall count, but plenty of rain. A lot of geese. I came for ducks. No permits. My contact is hunting a group of nine today and they are ready to limit. As of 9/27 marsh had 90K birds.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby duckweed » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Took a ride up to mickelsons this evening. It was wide open. Did not see any sort of gates or barricades. Should be good to go.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:41 pm

riverrat47 wrote:EdL,
I'm going to set up a cottage industry. If the Corps closes Blanchard (which was open last night), Crosses will be the only ramp, except Muscatine, in Pool 17. I'm going to put up a toll booth and charge $5.00 for launching, $2.00/hr. for parking or $40.00 for an annual permit. I figure could get away with it for a week or two (maybe years) before anyone in Springfield caught on. :yes:

Might just work. I moved back to Illinois a couple of years ago and found out hunting the levee down by Crosses Corner has been off limits to public access for some time now. I called the farm bureau in Mercer county to see about access of the levee for dove hunting. I was told the levee system is off limits! Seems a little odd since the levee system was built, maintained and is still maintained by public tax dollars. Hell I shot my first squirrel off the dike when I was 8 years old. Dad called it my proving ground. Now don't tell anyone but I took a walk down to an area called Eagle Fill and it seems someone is running their 4 wheelers down the dike. If no one is watching you may have a lucrative business...LOL
Ed L.
hunter

Postby dbrown57 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:49 pm

I hear ya boys, this shut down is some b.s. especially since I hunt federal land. hopefully they don't really patrol it heavy because Im trying to get some deer steaks in the freezer before duck season roles around!
PRO STAFF FOR CRITTER DONE GAME CALLS
dbrown57
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am

riverrat47 wrote:Going downstream, Pool 18: New Boston, Keithsburg and Oquawka are municipal ramps. Toolsboro is USFWS and there is another ramp on the Iowa side, downstream of Keithsburg that is Iowa DNR's, I believe. Pool 19: I think they are all municipal or state owned. Same is true for most pools to the south. There are some, like Saverton & Clarksville, Mo that are Corps (both tailwater ramps) and Turner Landing in Calhoun county is USFWS, and I believe that Canton Chute and Bear Creek access areas (Pool 21) are Corps run, but not sure. Down in the St. Louis Corps District, the Corps Riverlands group basically "claimed" access areas that weren't being maintained by the state. As I'm no longer traveling to those areas, I don't know what's going on with them.
Even if they close all federal ramps, there may be the inconvenience of a longer drive or boat ride, but not an insurmountable problem.

Everything's good in pool 19, all are state or municipal. But bear creek access at Marcelline might be federal because there is a federal wildlife refuge there but I might stop by there and check it out when I go back to school in Quincy for the week. I'll post it on here if it's shut down or not.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 pm

I stopped by Blanchard Landing campground/ramp (Pool 17) this morning. There are signs on the bathroom doors and on a wood sign next to the ramp, stating that the area is CLOSED for camping and day use, which would include launching. However, the signs are about 8x10" and typed so you have to get right up to them to read them, and would easy to miss, especially in the dark. There is a gate at the entrance but it was obviously open. I don't know what to make of the signs and gate. Also,I don't know how Corps Rangers are to deal with, but USFWS wardens can, and often are, very hardazzed, making IRS agents look warm and fuzzy.

The guy who mentioned that Michelson's was open may want to check for signs. Isn't that a USFWS ramp?
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 am

Mickelson's is Corps of Engineers ran. And it is OPEN. All federal ramps (Corps of engineers) on the Illinois side of Mississippi River are OPEN from Hanover to Albany.

Local police departments reached an agreement with the feds before the shutdown to provide patrol of those ramps during the shutdown so they could remain open. This includes boat launching only, restrooms, camping etc... are shutdown.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:10 pm

diverhunter50 wrote:Mickelson's is Corps of Engineers ran. And it is OPEN. All federal ramps (Corps of engineers) on the Illinois side of Mississippi River are OPEN from Hanover to Albany.

Local police departments reached an agreement with the feds before the shutdown to provide patrol of those ramps during the shutdown so they could remain open. This includes boat launching only, restrooms, camping etc... are shutdown.

As if anyone ever wants to use the public crappers at boat launches... the smell in there makes me wanna throw up every time.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:37 pm

diverhunter50 wrote:Mickelson's is Corps of Engineers ran. And it is OPEN. All federal ramps (Corps of engineers) on the Illinois side of Mississippi River are OPEN from Hanover to Albany.

They must've read my previous post, and shuddered with fear :sarcmark: :fingerhead:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:42 pm

riverrat47 wrote:I stopped by Blanchard Landing campground/ramp (Pool 17) this morning. There are signs on the bathroom doors and on a wood sign next to the ramp, stating that the area is CLOSED for camping and day use, which would include launching. However, the signs are about 8x10" and typed so you have to get right up to them to read them, and would easy to miss, especially in the dark. There is a gate at the entrance but it was obviously open. I don't know what to make of the signs and gate. Also,I don't know how Corps Rangers are to deal with, but USFWS wardens can, and often are, very hardazzed, making IRS agents look warm and fuzzy.

The guy who mentioned that Michelson's was open may want to check for signs. Isn't that a USFWS ramp?

Even if the sawhorse is laying upside down in the ditch with an 8x10 typed with 14-point font they call it a "clearly marked barricade" in court and there is no challenging it.
Been there, done that.
Careful guys.
The state and federal government is...predatory.
Thats a fact.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby BRCPres » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:51 pm

BRCPres
hunter

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:44 am

anyone have any idea how quickly these sites will re-open after the government re-opens?
Yoda
hunter

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting