New Duck Hunter

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

New Duck Hunter

Postby Dqtreats » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:26 pm

About 2 years ago, I decided to step away from my comfort zone of playing video games and what not, to be more of an outdoors person. I have finally decided that I want to try to duck hunt because it seems fun. I actually just took up bow hunting this year too, and so far I love it, even knowing it's only the second day of deer season. But I already went out on a limb and bought a gun, insulated waders, and more clothes. I also got a slough to hunt on and more than 2 dozen decoys from my cousins/uncles since they stopped hunting. Is there any advice you guys can give me? Because so far, it looks like I'm going to be hunting by myself, so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I'm 19, a full time student, and work 2 days a week making minimum wage.. So if there is any advice you guys can give me on what kind of equipment I need, or tactics I can use, would be awesome. And maybe I can get paired up with someone to show me the ropes, idk. I just don't want to think that I'm doing something right, when it's actually the wrong way to do things.
Dqtreats
Newb

Re: New Duck Hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:45 am

If you can get me free pumpkin pie blizzards from your minimum wage job, I'll show you everything I know.

Where are you located?
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:54 am

Something smells fishy around here...
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 am

Blackcloud870 wrote:Something smells fishy around here...

Don't blow my blizzard hook up!!
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:45 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this is a member of the "new country folk" movement. People deciding to go out buy guns, a pair of boots, and wear camo and flannel everyday. We're getting overrun with those type of people here in quincy. They try to act like they hunt when they really don't because it's now "cool" to drive a truck, wear camo, and have guns.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 11
luie b
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Hold on. Potential money bag, gas buying, decoy carrying, helper here.
Someone help him...please. Either that or suffer the consequences of yet another untrained skyblaster who does it all wrong and messes up your day.
He asked nicely and is not e scouting.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:If you can get me free pumpkin pie blizzards from your minimum wage job, I'll show you everything I know.

Where are you located?

I'll take dips on Banana Cream Blizzard.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Dqtreats wrote:About 2 years ago, I decided to step away from my comfort zone of playing video games and what not, to be more of an outdoors person. I have finally decided that I want to try to duck hunt because it seems fun. I actually just took up bow hunting this year too, and so far I love it, even knowing it's only the second day of deer season. But I already went out on a limb and bought a gun, insulated waders, and more clothes. I also got a slough to hunt on and more than 2 dozen decoys from my cousins/uncles since they stopped hunting. Is there any advice you guys can give me? Because so far, it looks like I'm going to be hunting by myself, so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I'm 19, a full time student, and work 2 days a week making minimum wage.. So if there is any advice you guys can give me on what kind of equipment I need, or tactics I can use, would be awesome. And maybe I can get paired up with someone to show me the ropes, idk. I just don't want to think that I'm doing something right, when it's actually the wrong way to do things.

First pick a sport. Bow or a ducker. Can't be both. Secondly save your money and buy the right equipment once. A lot of new boots buy the cheapest decoys, calls and clothing and then spend more money later. Do it right the first time. Scout birds and make contacts with other fowlers. Finally I always advertise for a Sherpa. No one ever applies.

P.S. I'll take a extra large blizzard and Fowl will take a mini. No lids please.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:43 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:
Dqtreats wrote:About 2 years ago, I decided to step away from my comfort zone of playing video games and what not, to be more of an outdoors person. I have finally decided that I want to try to duck hunt because it seems fun. I actually just took up bow hunting this year too, and so far I love it, even knowing it's only the second day of deer season. But I already went out on a limb and bought a gun, insulated waders, and more clothes. I also got a slough to hunt on and more than 2 dozen decoys from my cousins/uncles since they stopped hunting. Is there any advice you guys can give me? Because so far, it looks like I'm going to be hunting by myself, so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I'm 19, a full time student, and work 2 days a week making minimum wage.. So if there is any advice you guys can give me on what kind of equipment I need, or tactics I can use, would be awesome. And maybe I can get paired up with someone to show me the ropes, idk. I just don't want to think that I'm doing something right, when it's actually the wrong way to do things.

First pick a sport. Bow or a ducker. Can't be both. Secondly save your money and buy the right equipment once. A lot of new boots buy the cheapest decoys, calls and clothing and then spend more money later. Do it right the first time. Scout birds and make contacts with other fowlers. Finally I always advertise for a Sherpa. No one ever applies.

P.S. I'll take a extra large blizzard and Fowl will take a mini. No lids please.

Lol forget the hunting stuff. When the hell did you ever get a blizzard with a lid on it ?? Lol

Spray and Pray
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:51 pm

aunt betty wrote:Hold on. Potential money bag, gas buying, decoy carrying, helper here.
Someone help him...please. Either that or suffer the consequences of yet another untrained skyblaster who does it all wrong and messes up your day.
He asked nicely and is not e scouting.

What's wrong with trying to get a blizzard? Knowing where he is located will help us help him...
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Blizzards=free hunts. Only if this option was given to me when I was 15. Damn. Buy one get one free would go a longggggggg way. Hell with delivered pizza to the pit.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Dqtreats » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:21 am

Lol I love this forum xD

I actually haven't spent to much money. Most of the stuff has been handed down or I bought really cheap from brothers, uncles, and cousins. I'm in SI between Carbondale, Marion, and Mt Vernon. If it's only taking blizzards to get you guys willing to help, I'll supply them on a daily hunt -.-"
Dqtreats
Newb

Postby Trent_Rivers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 am

Buy a single reed rnt quack head. If you blow it everyday until duck season you oughtta be able to get some ducks attention. But stay light on the call. Rig up a homemade jerk string to put some ripples in your decoy spread. Since you will be hunting alone I would be sure to let someone know exactly where you will be and approximately when you will be back. Be sure to wear a face mask because despite what some tv shows may portray. Weary ducks will flare all day. That's a decent start. Oh and one more thing, read all day every day about hunting the more you know the better off you will be. But there is no substitute for time spent in the field getting after them. Remember that anytime you learn something it was a productive hunt regardless of how man birds you take. Good luck man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:22 am

Dqtreats wrote:Lol I love this forum xD

I actually haven't spent to much money. Most of the stuff has been handed down or I bought really cheap from brothers, uncles, and cousins. I'm in SI between Carbondale, Marion, and Mt Vernon. If it's only taking blizzards to get you guys willing to help, I'll supply them on a daily hunt -.-"

The best way to learn waterfowl behavior is go hunting, pay attention to what they do on certain days and pay attention to the weather and it eventually will explain what they do in certain weather and knowing that helps a lot when out hunting.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 11
luie b
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:59 am

luie b wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this is a member of the "new country folk" movement. People deciding to go out buy guns, a pair of boots, and wear camo and flannel everyday. We're getting overrun with those type of people here in quincy. They try to act like they hunt when they really don't because it's now "cool" to drive a truck, wear camo, and have guns.

You mean like your buddy from college who owns a bunch of land and wants to duck hunt but doesn't want to spend money on stamps to duck hunt? :grooving:
supr87gt
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 am

Dqtreats wrote:Lol I love this forum xD

Rend Lake. He lives near it!
God how I wish I lived closer to that.
Got a spare room and somewhere to park my truck and boat?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Dqtreats » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:04 am

Trent_Rivers wrote:Buy a single reed rnt quack head. If you blow it everyday until duck season you oughtta be able to get some ducks attention. But stay light on the call. Rig up a homemade jerk string to put some ripples in your decoy spread. Since you will be hunting alone I would be sure to let someone know exactly where you will be and approximately when you will be back. Be sure to wear a face mask because despite what some tv shows may portray. Weary ducks will flare all day. That's a decent start. Oh and one more thing, read all day every day about hunting the more you know the better off you will be. But there is no substitute for time spent in the field getting after them. Remember that anytime you learn something it was a productive hunt regardless of how man birds you take. Good luck man.

Thanks for the info! Been practicing my duck calling since last fall. I got a private slough to hunt on with a field next to it that is usually loaded with ducks or geese. Hope I get the hang of it this year:P

aunt betty wrote:Rend Lake. He lives near it!

Lol I live 10 minutes away from it. Been deer hunting at fitzgarrell for the past couple of days. I got a spare room, but there's no mattress xD
Dqtreats
Newb

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:08 pm

AB didn't need a bed. He has a cot and knows how to kill ducks!

Too bad you aren't closer. I'd work for blizzards for sure!

Some good advice here. Get out there and pay attention to what the others are doing. You can learn a lot by watching...

Good luck out there.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Dqtreats wrote:
Trent_Rivers wrote:Buy a single reed rnt quack head. If you blow it everyday until duck season you oughtta be able to get some ducks attention. But stay light on the call. Rig up a homemade jerk string to put some ripples in your decoy spread. Since you will be hunting alone I would be sure to let someone know exactly where you will be and approximately when you will be back. Be sure to wear a face mask because despite what some tv shows may portray. Weary ducks will flare all day. That's a decent start. Oh and one more thing, read all day every day about hunting the more you know the better off you will be. But there is no substitute for time spent in the field getting after them. Remember that anytime you learn something it was a productive hunt regardless of how man birds you take. Good luck man.

Thanks for the info! Been practicing my duck calling since last fall. I got a private slough to hunt on with a field next to it that is usually loaded with ducks or geese. Hope I get the hang of it this year:P

aunt betty wrote:Rend Lake. He lives near it!

Lol I live 10 minutes away from it. Been deer hunting at fitzgarrell for the past couple of days. I got a spare room, but there's no mattress xD

Hmmmmm.....you are in my neck of the woods. Don't let these slimeballs get too much information out of you.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Slimeballs? More like DQ lovers.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Dqtreats » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm just glad people know it stands for Dairy Queen Treats and not Dog Treats... To many dyslexic people think it stands for dog treats. :P Thanks for all the help guys. It's really appreciated.
Dqtreats
Newb

Postby dangimissedagain » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:04 pm

sent you a pm dq

First pick a sport. Bow or a ducker. Can't be both.

yes, you can be both. i, along with many other duckers, do. i do agree to buy good equipment up front, especially if you are going to be out in the weather and not in a blind. you'll thank yourself later.
dangimissedagain
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:10 pm

To Cujo:
Slimeball? haha I live in Arkansas, I was just trying to throw in some tips of things I have learned in the last few years as I am still relatively inexperienced.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:18 am

dangimissedagain wrote:sent you a pm dq

First pick a sport. Bow or a ducker. Can't be both.

yes, you can be both. i, along with many other duckers, do. i do agree to buy good equipment up front, especially if you are going to be out in the weather and not in a blind. you'll thank yourself later.

Really?! How do you hunt 45+ days for ducks then?!?!
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:23 am

Your getting some good info but the biggest problem young hunters have is judging distance. Go out to your slough with a large card board box. You can trace a decoy on the box for size and shape. Place it 35 to 40 yards from you in a safe location and direction and shot it. That will give you an idea how far away to shot at a duck. It also will show you the pattern of the shot shells your shooting. Another thing to do is get a kite. Put 35 to 40 yards of string on it and fly it. When it's flying stare at it and let that picture ingrain into you brain. That's the effective distance for shooting at a duck in the air. Good luck with your season.
Ed L.
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting