Native Grass Project

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Native Grass Project

Postby luie b » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Anyone know what government office I contact for info or assistance on getting seed for a native grass area on our land? I contacted SWCD but haven't ever gotten an answer. Starting to think there won't be assistance with it after all this government crap anyway. I just need to find a place to get the seed from...
luie b
hunter

Re: Native Grass Project

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:35 pm

If you are just looking for a place to buy from there are several companies that sell it just look it up online. Roundstone native seed company is a good one.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:54 pm

God dang! $200/acre??? How does anyone afford that?
luie b
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 pm

Get with Pheasants/Quail Forever. They will either help you, or know who you should contact...
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:20 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Get with Pheasants/Quail Forever. They will either help you, or know who you should contact...

I tried doing that but my county's quail forever is a bunch of bums who claim the chapter's operational when really all the care about is the Iowa portion of the chapter. It's split between Hancock Co. (Illinois) and Lee County (Iowa) and all the attention, when they actually do something goes to Lee because they actually have pheasants and quail over there more than Hancock does. But I'm a member of The Golden Triangle Chapter which occupies the next county south of our farm and I'm trying to convince a friend who runs it to find a way to bypass the Hancock Chapter and get our guys at Golden Triangle to help me with it. I found something on the IDNR website about a stewardship program that helps with voluntarily placed private land and they'll help you out with getting seed and tree plantings. I'm gonna do more research on that because my worry is the state would want to claim the area I do as public but it says the land will remain private.
luie b
hunter

Postby rism » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:43 am

Louie - native prairie is probably the most expensive on the market. Getting the seed is all done by hand thus the expense. You may have to start w/one acre every year for a few years. Just remember - it takes 3-5 years for native prairie grass to fully mature. If it is mowed or burned in that initial time frame you are starting all over. One of my pet peeves is with the Il. Dept. of Transportation. The State spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of Native Praire Grass seed to plant along the highways. Then they go and mow it twice every year. IDIOTS IDIOTS IDIOTS. Sent my rep. a message about it a while back. Got a standard reply back that IDOT has a mowing plan that they have to follow. Then why plant the frigging seed ??? IDIOTS IDIOTS IDIOTS. Is there any wonder why this state is in such trouble. !!
rism
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:07 am

luie,
Go to the Pheasants Forever website, don't mess with your local chapter. Recently, Pheasants/Quail Forever hired several biologists for Illinois. They cover a pretty large territory, so you might not get face to face assistance, but they should know what programs are available and who to contact.
If you've tried contacting federal agencies in the past month, don't be surprised that you didn't get a response. Since it became apparent that a shutdown was a distinct possibility, staff was probably in almost non-stop meetings on how to deal with a shutdown.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 am

riverrat47 wrote:luie,
Go to the Pheasants Forever website, don't mess with your local chapter. Recently, Pheasants/Quail Forever hired several biologists for Illinois. They cover a pretty large territory, so you might not get face to face assistance, but they should know what programs are available and who to contact.
If you've tried contacting federal agencies in the past month, don't be surprised that you didn't get a response. Since it became apparent that a shutdown was a distinct possibility, staff was probably in almost non-stop meetings on how to deal with a shutdown.

Do this. Unless they have a biologist as a regular, the local chapters probably won't be as much help as the state reps.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:40 am

After the federal shutdown is over check with your local Fsa office and ask about crp. Much better deal as you will get annual rental rate but needs to crop ground to be eligible for the majority of the practices.

Also mowing natives the first two years will not kill them and is very useful to reduce competition. The key is to mow it 8-12 inches high. Native grasses store their energy in the first 4-6 inches of stem coming out of the ground if you cut it low you destroy this.

Also plant a good mixture of forbs. Personally I think the forbs are just as important if not more important than the grasses. Forbs are what make these mixes expensive as they are much more difficult to cultivate and harvest the seed.

Not all seed is harvested by hand and none that I know of on the market is harvested by hand. Roundstone does still do hand harvests but mainly for seeds for them to plant to get to the point they harvest on a larger scale. Most of their seed for sale is harvested with modified combines.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting