Drake coat

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Drake coat

Postby asmythe32 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Anyone use the full zip drake eqwader jacket? I have always had the pullover but I am looking at the full zip. Any advantage that you can tell to the full zip over the pullover. Also what's everyone's favorite Camo. I can get a duck blind pattern one for about 60 off retail cause it's a discontinued pattern. I like max 4 and all of my stuff is max 4 but I might go with the cheaper deal. What do you think?
asmythe32
hunter

Re: Drake coat

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:04 am

I have the MST Equader full zip jacket. Mine was a Cabela's bargin blind deal with a zipper that doesn't always like to work (comes unthreaded).

That being said, that is the only issue with it, and I haven't heard of that being a problem for the majority of them. It's very warm, and fits well under waders. While it wasn't a particularly colde year, I hunted throught the entire season last year, and on most days it kept me warm enough to eliminate the need for a coat.

Overall, I love the design, and fit. As far as 1/4 vs. full zip, I think it comes down to preference. Same with the camo choice.

I don't think the ducks will mind if you have MODB up top, and Max 4 waders below...

Sounds like you have found a deal that I would highly recommend. :thumbsup:
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby blackfootmigrator » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:34 am

Good coat , there are issues with Drake zippers. If you don't mind that , I would go for the cheaper coat. Max-4 vs. Duckblind is of little concern. The two different patterns may help you blend in better.
blackfootmigrator
hunter

Postby rism » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 am

I have had a drake full zip since they came on the market. w/ the zip you can undo to get some air if needed. I also wear glasses so its easier to put on and off. Mine came w/ brass zipper instead of the newer plastic. Never had an issue w/ it. I went thru 3 pair of Cabelas zipper wader that had the PVC zipper. They always started coming apart w/in a year or so. Cabela's switched to a very heavy brass waterproof zipper a couple of years ago. Going on my 3rd yr. w/ them and no problems so far. They get used a lot as I hunt 60 days between the central and southern zones. Anybody using zipper waders -- use bees wax or bees wax lipbalm to keep the zipper lubed. 3 or 4 times during the season. Makes all the difference.
rism
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Mine is going into it's 6th year. Great jacket with waders on a cold day. Easy to cool off with a full zipper vs pull over. Check this out though. I just bought the soft shell. Very pleased with the quality.

http://clamoutdoors.com/armor_hunting/i ... -cat1.html
Ed L.
hunter

Postby SOILhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I've been using an LST for the past couple years. Planning on picking up a MST this year the LST is just too much most of the time.
SOILhunter
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Got a full zip deluxe eqwader with the hood for $99 and free shipping from reeds sporting goods in minnesota. Could not pass the deal up
asmythe32
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting