Beginner call

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Beginner call

Postby BDW » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Any suggestions on what duck call would be best to start out with for a beginner?
BDW
hunter

Re: Beginner call

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Big Guy's Best Death Whistle is a good beginner call. It's a double reed with good tone and a good range. Blows great soft and no hang ups wet. I believe $54.99 at Cabelas right now.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:10 pm

This will be interesting.

Duck Commander Miss Priss.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby sureshot 612 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:44 pm

duck commander is a sell out . i seen them long before there show that all the want-a-beeeeeessssss- fallow. i may still have a VHS of them hunting wood ducks from a tree stand,and then old Phil tells Jas. to give him the rifle and he blast a deer from the same stand. not impressed by these posers .and people get on fiols. LOL .
8-mallard
3-gadwall
7-Bluebill
3-GW Teal
1-Smilen Hollywood
Just read it .
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Winglock j-frame double reed. :thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:43 pm

Winglock!
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:15 am

sureshot 612 wrote:duck commander is a sell out . i seen them long before there show that all the want-a-beeeeeessssss- fallow. i may still have a VHS of them hunting wood ducks from a tree stand,and then old Phil tells Jas. to give him the rifle and he blast a deer from the same stand. not impressed by these posers .and people get on fiols. LOL .

Posers? Those dude kill a lot of ducks. Their calls may not be everyone's first choice, but for a beginner there is nothing wrong with them.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:41 am

KillerKowalski wrote:This will be interesting.

Duck Commander Miss Priss.

That didn't take long.

sureshot 612 wrote:duck commander is a sell out . i seen them long before there show that all the want-a-beeeeeessssss- fallow. i may still have a VHS of them hunting wood ducks from a tree stand,and then old Phil tells Jas. to give him the rifle and he blast a deer from the same stand. not impressed by these posers .and people get on fiols. LOL .

Nice paragraph.

For the OP, go to the store and buy one or two. RNT Quackhead's sound decent for $20. You don't have to have a $100 call to kill ducks (dont tell my wife I said that though).
supr87gt
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:42 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Posers? Those dude kill a lot of ducks. Their calls may not be everyone's first choice, but for a beginner there is nothing wrong with them.

I'm sure if the rest of us had thousands of acres specifically managed for ducks and 40+ blinds we would kill a ton of ducks too.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:11 am

QuackSmacker935 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

I'm sure if the rest of us had thousands of acres specifically managed for ducks and 40+ blinds we would kill a ton of ducks too.

Maybe you should work a little harder and buy some.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:52 am

Anyone ever see a Miss Priss?!?! Maybe the irony needs to be seen.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:59 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Anyone ever see a Miss Priss?!?! Maybe the irony needs to be seen.

You ever blow one...?
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:09 am

Whoa whoa nice choice of words. But, yes, I have "ran" one. Tried to buy one for the ol' lady but she didn't want it.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:21 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Whoa whoa nice choice of words. But, yes, I have "ran" one. Tried to buy one for the ol' lady but she didn't want it.

LOL. My 2 year old daughter saw it in the cabelas waterfowl mag and said "pink goose call. Me want." So it looks like ill be ordering one soon.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:21 am

supr87gt wrote:
QuackSmacker935 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Maybe you should work a little harder and buy some.

:clapping:
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby sureshot 612 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:45 am

BDW you need to find out were you hunt ,do you hunt timber ,open water ,or what ,single reed ,double reed , get 1 that makes YOU sound like a duck 20 bucks or 200 buck if you dont sound like a duck ,then that s-cks,and ya won't call ducks. and get it tuned if not you sound like a hunter in the weeds.blowing a call. get one you like , blow it ,blow it, and blow it again ,before the season , and dont go out hunting blowing like you are in a competition . and when you see ducks flare you are calling to much. there see how easy it is.
8-mallard
3-gadwall
7-Bluebill
3-GW Teal
1-Smilen Hollywood
Just read it .
sureshot 612
hunter

Location: where ever i want, back to loner time I'm at the next level.riders for a fee

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:04 pm

QuackSmacker935 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

How does owning good hunting land make someone a poser?
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:07 pm

I've seen it. Considered it for my baby's second birthday before having a little call made for her.

I might buy one to keep on the lanyard for fun!
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
QuackSmacker935 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

They probably didn't buy it until they watched some show on TV and thought it would be cool to grow beards and hunt ducks. :rolleyes:
supr87gt
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Haydel's DR-85, they even have a pink one too DR-15 or something like that. So you can get a good starter call and you can get a pink one for your girl.
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:45 pm

supr87gt wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
QuackSmacker935 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

They probably didn't buy it until they watched some show on TV and thought it would be cool to grow beards and hunt ducks. :rolleyes:

:lol:
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:08 pm

As much as I'd like to poke fun at any number of calls/callers/wannabes I'll shoot ya' straight this time.

I think a good starting place for new duck hunters would be the Buck Gardner Double Nasty that comes with the instructional CD. Buck is world champion duck caller, but his cd will teach you the basics of how to make various callsand NOT the competition routines. I recommend this set up to all of the noobs that ask me where to start each year.
Once you get the basics down ( a general rule of thumb is 10,000 quacks to get it right ), I would highly recommend picking up the Fred Zink, "Mallards Gone Wild" cd ($15). That CD is simply recordings of live mallards in different environments, and will teach you what real ducks sound like, not human cadences/competition callers. I think at the end of the day the goal is to sound like ducks.

If you do those 2 things, you will be light-years ahead of most new "Duck Hunters". ( and I use that term loosely )

Just my $0.02...

Best of luck.
BC
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:01 am

Two reeds and cheap. Thats what a beginner begins on if he is smart.
Zinks little "power hen" fits that.
Lots of calls do. Its just the first one that popped into my head.
Later, take one reed out and whallah...one call does both.
Cheap.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby jwurts4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 pm

CutEmUp89 wrote:Haydel's DR-85, they even have a pink one too DR-15 or something like that. So you can get a good starter call and you can get a pink one for your girl.

DR-85 a staple. Same as flambeau river goose flute
jwurts4
hunter

Postby MOgreenhead » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 pm

I learned on a DR-85 and a Keith Allen CD many years ago. "DWIHT"

Everyone should have a DR-85. I've got other calls on my lanyard, but more often then not I find myself running the DR-85. It's a duck killer.
MOgreenhead
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting