Beginner call

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: Beginner call

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Blackcloud870 wrote:I would highly recommend picking up the Fred Zink, "Mallards Gone Wild" cd ($15).

I am kind of upset about this. I went to Amazon to find that the Hens had full plumage. I was expecting at least some nudity. :huh:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:43 am

:lol:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:03 am

aunt betty wrote:Two reeds and cheap. Thats what a beginner begins on if he is smart.
Zinks little "power hen" fits that.
Lots of calls do. Its just the first one that popped into my head.
Later, take one reed out and whallah...one call does both.
Cheap.

I disagree almost completely with this. Double reeds breed bad habits for new duck callers. Also if you are into the sport and you know that you are going to stick with it, why not buy something you will keep on the lanyard forever. There are plenty of good single reeds that you can purchase used for under 100 bucks that you will keep for quite sometime and are excellent calls to begin learning on. Also if you learn on a single reed, you can basically use any call produced today. Think of a double reed as a duck call with training wheels. Yes they can sound ducky, but they are usually very lacking in range. Some double reeds, like the RNT alpha 2 and the Field Proven double shot can do anything a single can do, but this is not the case for most doubles. Hope this helps. If I was helping someone who is just starting out, I would suggest an RNT short barrel even better would be a timbre if you could find one. A New Old Style would probably be pretty good as well, Field Proven shot caller, The echo single reeds would be good to start on as well, and even some of their poly carb/wood line wouldn't be bad either. There are many other great calls, these are just a few that came to my mind.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:48 pm

half these calls mentioned can be good or bad everyone has a differnt style of calling and if you are a beginer my opion is to first off be honest with yourslef and others, pick up a cheap call and start teaching yourself to call either with someone or listen to a cd in the car while ur driving. Once you start being honest with yourslf and getting that ducky sound (you are not going to be an expert in a week) then you should start experimenting with others get a feel of what sounds better for you. But i stress the fact that you have to be honest with yourslelf and be ready to except critisism from others. i have had a call around my neck for 23 years and i can pick up a call that a buddy sounds amazing on and i cant pull a note to save my life and vise versa. Ive given away 200$ calls and same with 10$ calls ive got a 10$ call and a 200$ call on my lanyard which i use in different situations because of my surroundings also, so i would suggest starting off with something in the lower range maybe something youve heard a buddy use before and is productive? Try whatever you want but i think thats better advice then listening to someone on here say hey spend $$$$ on this and you dont like it and being a beginer you dont know exactly whats best for you till you practice practice practice.
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:11 pm

As I was in the very early stages of learning how to call I was using nothing but cheap calls and I sounded alright , I finally decided it was time to make a change and bought the acrylic RNT Shortbarrel and let me tell you the call alone was the difference in sounding like a new caller and sounding like I had been calling for a few years. You can get a wooden version for 80-85 brand new and you won't regret it. The cheaper option I do like is the RNT quack head single reed, I wish I had found this call while I was learning as it sounds pretty darn good for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:30 pm

SPatrick wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Two reeds and cheap. Thats what a beginner begins on if he is smart.
Zinks little "power hen" fits that.
Lots of calls do. Its just the first one that popped into my head.
Later, take one reed out and whallah...one call does both.
Cheap.

I disagree almost completely with this. Double reeds breed bad habits for new duck callers. Also if you are into the sport and you know that you are going to stick with it, why not buy something you will keep on the lanyard forever. There are plenty of good single reeds that you can purchase used for under 100 bucks that you will keep for quite sometime and are excellent calls to begin learning on. Also if you learn on a single reed, you can basically use any call produced today. Think of a double reed as a duck call with training wheels. Yes they can sound ducky, but they are usually very lacking in range. Some double reeds, like the RNT alpha 2 and the Field Proven double shot can do anything a single can do, but this is not the case for most doubles. Hope this helps. If I was helping someone who is just starting out, I would suggest an RNT short barrel even better would be a timbre if you could find one. A New Old Style would probably be pretty good as well, Field Proven shot caller, The echo single reeds would be good to start on as well, and even some of their poly carb/wood line wouldn't be bad either. There are many other great calls, these are just a few that came to my mind.

I disagree with your disagreement. Field Proven Shot Caller as a first call...lol
I started when I was 14 years old and if someone told me to buy an expensive single reed I would have said, "are you crazy?".
My first call was a single reed and I couldnt blow it.

But awwww what the heck. Just do what SPatrick says, then when you epic fail, send me the Shot Caller.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby SPatrick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Yeah I dont know much about calling, so I probably wouldn't listen to me either lol.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby SPatrick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Forgot to put this at the end i guess :sarcmark:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:16 pm

For $75 you can buy a white lightning duck call from Rainman duck calls.
I personally have seen more duckmeat piled up with that call.
Super loud double reed. Just buy that. You will NOT regret it and if you do...you anit doin it right.
I could care less about trophies. This is what I am talking about sir.
1381371146337.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:57 pm

We can all agree to disagree that any duck call will call ducks. It's up to the hunter to shoot em. Not the call.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:58 pm

@ab
guy im a killer first, caller second, ask anyone who knows me and thats the truth. I am just giving advice to a guy who asked for it. I would give the same advice to anyone who I knew personally who was just starting. I have worked with tons of guys starting out, and always give the same advice...get a single reed. I have never even heard of those calls so I cant say they are good or aren't worth two pieces of crap.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Chest Rockwell » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Bdw
If you are still following this. Send me a pm. I have a couple different calls I will give ya. They are nothing special... But they are free and will give you something to start with. Let me know
Chest
Chest Rockwell
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Chest Rockwell wrote:Bdw
If you are still following this. Send me a pm. I have a couple different calls I will give ya. They are nothing special... But they are free and will give you something to start with. Let me know
Chest

:thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:50 am

Cujo1 wrote:
Chest Rockwell wrote:Bdw
Chest

:thumbsup:

x2

Good man!
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 am

Rockwell for DNR Director. AB just got bumped.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting