Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby jaegerderhund » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:12 pm

I'm new to duck hunting. Moved here from Missouri a few years ago, used to hunting small game like rabbit and squirrel.

I want to focus on duck, for a number of reasons, first, because duck tastes better than rabbit and squirrel, and second, I have a duck hunting dog now. How do I get into it? Private club? Hire a guide? Go on public lands and hope for the best although I've never been? I appreciate any advice the experienced hunters here may have. Thanks.
jaegerderhund
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:03 pm


Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby luie b » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:21 am

If your dog's a duck hunting dog maybe it could teach you?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:49 am

Step 1: Ignore Luie

If you don't have any gear, and haven't been, I would recommend finding a friend with all of the gear you need that could use a hand, and wouldn't mind bringing you along. Duck hunting isn't cheap. You can do it with minimal gear, but there will be an initial investment. If you don't know anyone that duck hunts, you should consider finding a guide. It will be expensive (probably around $150 for 1/2 day), but will give you an idea if it's something you want to really get started with.

There are a lot of good guys on the forum, but it would help if you told us more about yourself...where are you located? What do you have to offer someone in exchange for a partnership/guidance? Things along those lines should help someone decide if they want to help you out some more.

We're a week out in the Northern Zone, so don't hold back...there's no time to waste!

Good luck, and :welcome:
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
hunter
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby duckweed » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:06 am

Where abouts in illinois are you located?
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
User avatar
duckweed
hunter
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:13 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby DRYLOK » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:43 am

Hunting is not a sport
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
User avatar
DRYLOK
hunter
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:14 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby luie b » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:31 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Step 1: Ignore Luie

If you don't have any gear, and haven't been, I would recommend finding a friend with all of the gear you need that could use a hand, and wouldn't mind bringing you along. Duck hunting isn't cheap. You can do it with minimal gear, but there will be an initial investment. If you don't know anyone that duck hunts, you should consider finding a guide. It will be expensive (probably around $150 for 1/2 day), but will give you an idea if it's something you want to really get started with.

There are a lot of good guys on the forum, but it would help if you told us more about yourself...where are you located? What do you have to offer someone in exchange for a partnership/guidance? Things along those lines should help someone decide if they want to help you out some more.

We're a week out in the Northern Zone, so don't hold back...there's no time to waste!

Good luck, and :welcome:

Step 2: if you don't have a sense of humor you'll hate duck hunting. Don't you think you got the cart ahead of the horse by buying a duck dog before learning to duck hunt?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:02 am

Luie is just jealous he can't go retrieve the game himself. Luie comes out I keep the dog home and Luie isn't even able to load up. Retrieve is his only responsibility. The shock collar batteries run out every hunt. Good little boy.

The sport isn't cheap and the wife will agree with that one. Actually, most all of them will. A little more information and we can point you in the right direction. Having the dog is a positive step. I saw a Poodle retrieving last weekend. I would die to have a dog help retrieve. Luie is a box a rocks some days and stares at birds. My old Lab is retired. He's making a good family pet to my parents. God I miss him sometimes.

Image
Image
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2375
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:18 am

luie b wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:Step 1: Ignore Luie

If you don't have any gear, and haven't been, I would recommend finding a friend with all of the gear you need that could use a hand, and wouldn't mind bringing you along. Duck hunting isn't cheap. You can do it with minimal gear, but there will be an initial investment. If you don't know anyone that duck hunts, you should consider finding a guide. It will be expensive (probably around $150 for 1/2 day), but will give you an idea if it's something you want to really get started with.

There are a lot of good guys on the forum, but it would help if you told us more about yourself...where are you located? What do you have to offer someone in exchange for a partnership/guidance? Things along those lines should help someone decide if they want to help you out some more.

We're a week out in the Northern Zone, so don't hold back...there's no time to waste!

Good luck, and :welcome:

Step 2: if you don't have a sense of humor you'll hate duck hunting. Don't you think you got the cart ahead of the horse by buying a duck dog before learning to duck hunt?


I'm sure there are plenty of guys with dogs that don't hunt them. Anyone with a trial background that doesn't hunt would be a great example of someone with a duck dog, before learning how to hunt...
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
hunter
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby luie b » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:58 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Luie is just jealous he can't go retrieve the game himself. Luie comes out I keep the dog home and Luie isn't even able to load up. Retrieve is his only responsibility. The shock collar batteries run out every hunt. Good little boy.

The sport isn't cheap and the wife will agree with that one. Actually, most all of them will. A little more information and we can point you in the right direction. Having the dog is a positive step. I saw a Poodle retrieving last weekend. I would die to have a dog help retrieve. Luie is a box a rocks some days and stares at birds. My old Lab is retired. He's making a good family pet to my parents. God I miss him sometimes.

Image
Image

I prefer chasing cars...
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Exactly why you sat at the animal shelter and no one wants you! I even offered to pay for all the shots and application fees.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2375
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Looking to get into the sport / could use guidance

Postby luie b » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Looks like they're gonna have to put me down like old yeller then... But all kidding aside to the original poster find a wooded pond and hunt wood ducks. It's the easiest way to get in the sport all you need is a couple old decoys, a shotgun, steel shotshells, and proper licenses and stamps and you're in business.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)


Return to Illinois Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests