Shelbyville subs

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Shelbyville subs

Postby asmythe32 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Anyone making the trip to Shelbyville this weekend? During teal season there was not enough water there. I was told by the site office that they were going to pump water. Trying to decide if it is worth trying to draw in or not, or if I should goose hunt up north instead.
asmythe32
hunter

Re: Shelbyville subs

Postby Jeremy66 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:42 pm

I drove around a little at lunch today. Seen 1 goose and 4 ducks. I would say if you have somewhere to goose hunt go for it. Shelby will be loaded with people as always. I definately wouldnt go with high hopes anyway.
Jeremy66
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:19 pm

thats what I am afraid of, its an hour trip one way for me and I would hate to get there and not get drawn in, waste of a trip for me
asmythe32
hunter

Postby Jeremy66 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:39 am

I have never tired to draw in for opening wkend but I believe last year they turned several people away from McGee/Dunn but Fishook had enough blinds for everyone.

Im sure there are lots of woodies like everywhere else and a few teal.
Jeremy66
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Asmythe, pm me. I have room for you if you want.
I have plan A, B, C, and D.
B is the drawing. Not saying in open what plan A is.
My boat, dog, heaters, everything is ready.
Come on man...
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby jwurts4 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:21 pm

water in fish hook looked good 2 weeks ago. Not sure if it still same level in there or not. I see that place being promising this season.
jwurts4
hunter

Postby E MAN » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:49 pm

wide open and no place to hide at all in the subs and no food. gonna be a long year at the lake too. slick banks.
E MAN
hunter

Postby fullbored » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:56 pm

What permit do you need now to draw the first couple days last time i went you had to call the main office and they would send you out a blue permit in the mail. I assume it's just the print out one now?

I usually hunt the main lake but all my friends can't go this weekend so i'm riding solo and with the stiff winds they are predicting on Saturday and our big boat is being welded up means i'm out in the small boat on my lonesome. (1652)
fullbored
hunter

Postby E MAN » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 pm

the permit is on the idnr site. just print off
E MAN
hunter

Postby fullbored » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:18 pm

That's what i thought, thanks broseph

i don't have a blind on the small boat as we use it as our runner if anyone wants to pm and talk walk in spots at the draws? I'll be happy to trade some info on the lakes down south. Specifically which side has more. I'll call the office tomorrow to get some info worst case scenario.

I don't know if i have it in me this year to camp all night on the main lake this year especially solo.
fullbored
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:37 pm

What is the vegetation situation in fish hook?
I assume its weedy and no row crops...moist soil management.
Is it WEEDY or just weedy?
aunt betty

Postby E MAN » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 pm

they kept the place full of water all year because of the high lake level. drained it around the end of teal season, then turned around and filled it up.... stupid waste of money. should have never drained it. no weeds
E MAN
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:31 pm

E MAN wrote:they kept the place full of water all year because of the high lake level. drained it around the end of teal season, then turned around and filled it up.... stupid waste of money. should have never drained it. no weeds

Jeez, that place could rock if theyd manage it right.
Might be a while before its right again.
aunt betty

Postby E MAN » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:42 pm

ya its too bad. last year was maybe the best i've seen for the amount of ducks. it was solid smartweed. if you dropped a duck they were hard to find. it was nothing they managed for, just luck.
speaking of not managing. what about the supposed refuge between dunn and mcgee. it is a nice sized area with levees etc. they don't even put water in it. can't remember last time they did. guess they have no money. at least plug it up and let mother nature fill it. add some stakes so we would have other walk in areas.
E MAN
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:57 pm

E MAN wrote:ya its too bad. last year was maybe the best i've seen for the amount of ducks. it was solid smartweed. if you dropped a duck they were hard to find. it was nothing they managed for, just luck.
speaking of not managing. what about the supposed refuge between dunn and mcgee. it is a nice sized area with levees etc. they don't even put water in it. can't remember last time they did. guess they have no money. at least plug it up and let mother nature fill it. add some stakes so we would have other walk in areas.

My guess is that with "modern" ag equipment its not feasible to get the huge things back there.
Yrs ago a bunch of equip got left out near the refuge at fish hook.
It was there the whole season.
aunt betty

Postby rism » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:11 am

Waterfowl Management - Wetlands - Water

All members of this forum should educate themselves on the money aspect of the management. The State of Illinois gets millions of dollars back from the Feds to be used for this purpose and this purpose ONLY !. These are the same dollars Convict Blago tried to misappropriate !! These millions match millions from the state to be used for waterfowl habitat !! Uses include draining, planting, harvesting, flooding and anything else to improve the habitat for migrating waterfowl, shorebirds, etc. Every year I hear people saying the State doesn't have money to plant or they don't have money to pump Etc, Etc, Etc. Wrong wrong wrong !!! I have gone around and around on this w/ a site manager or two and my state Senator. My Senator finally found out the truth. He even called the Site manager to let him know S'field had the money, pump the water and send them the bill. If they wanted to fight he would stand up for the Site Supt. We haven't had a problem since !! The money is there for habitat - Don't let them spend it on anything else (bike trails).!! Hold them accountable !!

Aunt Betty - I have always been of the opinion from years of experience that ducks like fresh water. Not old nasty stale stuff. They move up river to feed as a flood spreads out into corn fields etc. day by day. The moment the river crests and starts receding they are gone instantly. Have watched this on the Lamoine River where I live for years. Great hunting when its rising !!
Next day you wouldn't know there was ever a duck around !! Maybe Shelbyville drained the water at the area for the same purpose ? Couple of years ago Sanganois didn't drain their water as it was too late to plant. By the time season got here the smell overall was terrible and if you waded in it the smell clung to the waders and went in the blind w/ you. They didn't hold any ducks that year even in the natural food thusly the kill wasn't very good either. Flight days were the best.
rism
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:37 am

aunt betty wrote:Asmythe, pm me. I have room for you if you want.
I have plan A, B, C, and D.
B is the drawing. Not saying in open what plan A is.
My boat, dog, heaters, everything is ready.
Come on man...

Good on ya' AB :clapping:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby jwurts4 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Any luck?
jwurts4
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 pm

I killed 4 today in one of the subs. Should have killed a limit but had a new dog and opening day jitters (had to work all weekend so this was my first trip out.).
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting