Maybe a small push today?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Maybe a small push today?

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:15 pm

hunted the desplains state blinds today got buzzed by some woodies saw only one mallard worth paying too much attention to but did see 3-4 large groups in the nose bleed section fallowing the river. Strong north west winds and a front historically moves ducks but i guess we will see. did notice 40-50 birds on a marsh this afternoon on my way to work and have not seen them there this year so i hope im right . Be on the dupage in the morning near channahon so we will see what tomorrow brings with this frosty night. good luck to ya'll
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Re: Maybe a small push today?

Postby Crappiehunter1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Tomorrow is goin to be boom or bust I believe, depending on what time the snow/ rain pushes into the area. I think if it holds off for a couple hours in the morning and you are able to hunt just ahead if the front you will be in luck. But as always who know. Best of luck!
Crappiehunter1
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Which blind were you in today at Des Plaines? PM if you would like.

Moon phase will spur migration at night. Horicon is receiving birds daily by the thousands. Their next waterfowl count should be out soon, but the government shut down paused it for a bit. We are getting new birds, but not in great numbers. They need to start flocking up. Temperatures seem to be holding in the following weeks. The jet stream and jet streaks are taking cold air down to us. Ducks never will fly that high, but wind speeds are faster as elevation rises. So, 10-15 MPH winds on the surface can be 1.5-2times faster 1,000 -3,000 feet up and a separate direction than the surface.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:11 pm

eh i dont mind we jumped 18 blind the woodies were comin off our left shoulder pretty wide all morning but it seemed to be the same 10 or so birds continuously unless they only get up n fly 2 drakes 1 hen or 2 hens at a time and i didnt get the memo haha. those little suckers fly just to fly sometimes i think. lol. heard a couple vollies from the basin that was it wanted to jump 26 but there were 5-6 boats out there today didnt expect that for a monday and rather not fight the crowd expecially with not many birds around. I agree crappiehunter where i grew up hunting today (hard west/northwest wind and a front) was the day you watched the birds dump into the rest areas and big water and tomorrow would be the day they were looking for food.
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby QuackHonkBang » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:03 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Which blind were you in today at Des Plaines? PM if you would like.

Moon phase will spur migration at night. Horicon is receiving birds daily by the thousands. Their next waterfowl count should be out soon, but the government shut down paused it for a bit. We are getting new birds, but not in great numbers. They need to start flocking up. Temperatures seem to be holding in the following weeks. The jet stream and jet streaks are taking cold air down to us. Ducks never will fly that high, but wind speeds are faster as elevation rises. So, 10-15 MPH winds on the surface can be 1.5-2times faster 1,000 -3,000 feet up and a separate direction than the surface.

Killer, you are a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate your input. Good luck hunting this year!!
QuackHonkBang
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:30 am

redneckgoosebuster22 wrote:Heard a couple vollies from the basin that was it wanted to jump 26...

Go look at their kill sheet from yesterday. Three guns yesterday. :bow:

QuackHonkBang wrote:Killer, you are a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate your input. Good luck hunting this year!!

Thank you, sir! Luck is starting well this season. Hope it continues. Going to be a long ducking season for us hopefully.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting