Call question

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Call question

Postby Azarnazar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:03 am

Ok so heres my problem. In the past i have blown a buck gardner goose call and i have trouble getting the geese below 40 yds as they fly over. I just bought an ex3 and bad grammar but during early season the birds still wouldnt finish. Am i using the call wrong( i cant do the notes scott does) or do you think my call is defective because i bought it used thanks in advance boyz
Azarnazar
hunter

Re: Call question

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:47 am

Most of the time calls are not defective unless they are cracked or an insert is not fitting into the barrel correctly and air is excessively leaking. It is usually the caller. I am not as fortunate with a goose call like others, but never concentrated on improving. I consider myself more of a ducker. I can hand my goose call to someone else proficient who can run it flawlessly. Took me a few years to even understand clean pressurized air with my duck calls, but understanding theory more than techniques can be helpful. I would take a duck call over a goose call any day. Bottom line it's usually the caller's air presentation.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby qckhd » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:54 am

Once the geese appear to be interested but just don't seem to finish are you lowering your volume? Once the geese are under 60yds I turn to my Wing Lock goose whisperer and use soft clucks and murmurs to finish them and put them on the water!
qckhd
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 am

I like the bad grammar DVD but some of that stuff is hard for me to do. I don't like the same hand placement as he does so you just have to practice and find what works for you. Being in hunting situations is the easiest way to learn what works and what doesn't. Some days what you did the day before will flare birds. Just have to be able to read them. Also record yourself using the call and then play it back. It helps to hear yourself so you can pinpoint what sounds good and what doesn't.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby Azarnazar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:15 am

So killerk you think that if i throw some duck drcoys out in my goose spread and use my duck call i can fool the geese because they think the ducks are talking and maybe the geese will be more relaxed
Azarnazar
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:22 am

Could happen. Most likely not though. Flip that idea around and it will happen more often. Ducks will commit to a goose spread and goose calling.

Bad Grammar is a stepping stone. Scott is a good guy. His guiding service can't be compared. Hell of a caller. Best thing is to find someone nearby that is a great caller and learn hands on. Hard to find one, but if you keep asking for one you find one.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:23 am

Azarnazar wrote:So killerk you think that if i throw some duck drcoys out in my goose spread and use my duck call i can fool the geese because they think the ducks are talking and maybe the geese will be more relaxed

Do you belong to luie or all4killindux?
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:24 am

:lol: I am dying over here! Funny one of those names came up Saturday morning.... :fingerhead:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:48 am

What makes you so sure its the calling and not something in your spread or hide? Just wondering. :beer:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:55 am

supr87gt wrote:
Azarnazar wrote:So killerk you think that if i throw some duck drcoys out in my goose spread and use my duck call i can fool the geese because they think the ducks are talking and maybe the geese will be more relaxed

Do you belong to luie or all4killindux?

No what he needs to finish the geese is to put out a deer decoy, preferably a 10 point buck because they're the wisest. Put the deer decoy on the side of the spread so geese land next to it because they feel safe. Is that the kind of answer you were looking for?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:58 am

luie b wrote:...preferably a 10 point buck because they're the wisest.

Incorrect. It's an eleven pointer that is best.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Azarnazar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Easy indy i dont belong to anyone and as for louieb not quite what i was looking for but if that works for you more power brother
Azarnazar
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Azarnazar wrote:Easy indy i dont belong to anyone and as for louieb not quite what i was looking for but if that works for you more power brother

Don't pay any attention to him. He thinks his geese finish because of the deer decoy. It's actually due to the pile of corn that he dumps next to the decoy.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby Azarnazar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 pm

So the more i think about louies smartass comment about the deer decoy i question would it actually work. For instance i hunt an area with short grass and no ditches. In the past hiding has been somewhat of an issue but what if 1 or 2 deer decoys were put around the layouts. Comments and thoughts welcome
Azarnazar
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Azarnazar wrote:So the more i think about louies smartass comment about the deer decoy i question would it actually work. For instance i hunt an area with short grass and no ditches. In the past hiding has been somewhat of an issue but what if 1 or 2 deer decoys were put around the layouts. Comments and thoughts welcome

All depends on the brand of the deer decoy. :fingerhead:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Azarnazar wrote:So the more i think about louies smartass comment about the deer decoy i question would it actually work. For instance i hunt an area with short grass and no ditches. In the past hiding has been somewhat of an issue but what if 1 or 2 deer decoys were put around the layouts. Comments and thoughts welcome

In all seriousness from what I've seen in the woods deer and turkeys never get along, I don't think geese would be an exception. And I only make smartazz comments because KK instigates them.
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:40 pm

luie b wrote:

In all seriousness from what I've seen in the woods deer and turkeys never get along, I don't think geese would be an exception. And I only make smartazz comments because KK instigates them.

Maybe he should try a turkey decoy in the spread then?
supr87gt
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:59 pm

luie b wrote:

Heck Louie, I've seen turkeys walking under deer bellies feeding together!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:11 pm

I would never have someone who is really just starting out get an EX3 first off, its a great call, but it takes a very experienced caller to tune the call just right, and it is made for more experienced guys overall. Bad Grammer is a great learning tool, however most guys get it and try to complete the whole DVD in one night. That's not what it was made for. It was made to work on one segment over and over and over again, until its perfect. I tell people I am working with all the time, you have to crawl before you can walk, this is especially true in goose calling. Some many guys want to move on to a double cluck and spit note, before they even have a moan down perfectly...I know I was one. Thats just the calling aspect, the ability to read birds is a whole nother can of worms. That comes with years and years of experience, and trying and failing numerous times.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby luie b » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Cujo1 wrote:
luie b wrote:

Heck Louie, I've seen turkeys walking under deer bellies feeding together!

Really? I must have some weird turkeys then. I've had many a turkey hunt screwed up when I was working a bird out in the field and a doe comes walking through the turkeys usually run off.
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:49 pm

luie b wrote:

Heavily Photoshopped. Hmmm.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382500168.058740.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382500168.058740.jpg (49.04 KiB) Viewed 853 times
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby QuackHonkBang » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:11 am

I never used another type of animal decoy while goose hunting, but I have used a blue herring decoy while duck hunting. The herring is about the most skid dish bird out there. I think it puts the ducks at ease.
QuackHonkBang
hunter

Postby 4wheeldrive » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:24 am

Drop the calls Azarnazar and get yourself a nice black flag .
4wheeldrive
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am

He's just hunting educated geese. He can't get them to finish so he starts sky busting them. Then the next day he wonders why they won't finish.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby Azarnazar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 am

Good idea on the flag. As for mr.87gt you really seem to know your geese just curious how many did you kill last year? Do you get into them good every year
Azarnazar
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting