Duck ranch Marshal questions

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Duck ranch Marshal questions

Postby hoyland2004 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:27 am

My buddy drew a permit for duck ranch. I have never been there and just had a couple questions about the area. I don't need scouting info or which stake to take, just some general info would be great. How far of a walk? What type of habitat, flooded timber, reeds? Any info would be great.
ILLINOIS
DM-
HM-
PT-
GAD-
TEAL-
Widg-
WD-
SB-
Divers-
Geese-
Total-
hoyland2004
hunter

Re: Duck ranch Marshal questions

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:05 pm

hunted there for the first time last year had an exceptional hunt if the gun barrels werent bent we coulda filled a 3 man limit had pleanty of opportunities. but any ways its flooded timber/ natural vegitation and some millet from what i saw. boating in is very simple with a good spotlight theere are trees marked on the river park your boat and wallk in C/D were barely 50 yard walks as for the rest im not sure from river side. D would be prolly 6-700 yards if not more to walk in without a boat. blinds had pleanty of room for 4 guys. only thing i would worry about if boating in would be make sure you have pleanty of roap and or some good anchors because i could see a problem if a barge went by.
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Re: Duck ranch Marshal questions

Postby brickgw » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:25 pm

redneckgoosebuster22 wrote:hunted there for the first time last year had an exceptional hunt if the gun barrels werent bent we coulda filled a 3 man limit had pleanty of opportunities. but any ways its flooded timber/ natural vegitation and some millet from what i saw. boating in is very simple with a good spotlight theere are trees marked on the river park your boat and wallk in C/D were barely 50 yard walks as for the rest im not sure from river side. D would be prolly 6-700 yards if not more to walk in without a boat. blinds had pleanty of room for 4 guys. only thing i would worry about if boating in would be make sure you have pleanty of roap and or some good anchors because i could see a problem if a barge went by.

^X2

I hunted there quite a few times and enjoy it. If you have to walk in expect to be setting up late. It's a VERY long walk from the parking lot! Had a few good shoots there last year but we had a few days where they just weren't wanting back there at all. Like anywhere else the hunting can be hit or miss.
brickgw
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting