Central zone

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: Central zone

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Unrelated I got a North zone report from this morning that Mallards were working fields heavy right after the rain finished. They group did pretty well. They left soaked, but happy.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Can't wait to get on some of that field mallard action! I built a decent blind on a field we own and its right under a flyway so hopefully should be some good action and more comfortable than my piece of crap layout blind.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Unrelated I got a North zone report from this morning that Mallards were working fields heavy right after the rain finished. They group did pretty well. They left soaked, but happy.

Thats good news, hope to see some this weekend. :thumbsup:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Saw a lot of stale birds on Saturday, but managed to scratch out 5 and a goose. Lots of high flyers yesterday ahead of the front. Ended up with a mixed bag of shovlers, ruddy duck and a goose.
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:37 am

Up to this point of the season we've done very well , better than expected actually . The early cold fronts in October pushed birds down . Now it seems the migration has slowed to a crawl . I haven't talked to anyone who has done well all week from the local lakes to the river areas . Desperately need migration weather ! I'm starting to get that funny feeling where the weather will not cooperate until after season closes . I hope I'm wrong , it's been too good a season to go out with a fizzle . Good luck deer hunters , I'll be in the blind .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:24 pm

It will get good this weekend into next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asmythe32
hunter

Central zone

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Grossy23 wrote:Up to this point of the season we've done very well , better than expected actually . The early cold fronts in October pushed birds down . Now it seems the migration has slowed to a crawl . I haven't talked to anyone who has done well all week from the local lakes to the river areas . Desperately need migration weather ! I'm starting to get that funny feeling where the weather will not cooperate until after season closes . I hope I'm wrong , it's been too good a season to go out with a fizzle . Good luck deer hunters , I'll be in the blind .

X2. Hunted Northern the last three and now tomorrow. Only positive comments about bird counts. I might hit Central up next week if birds push.
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:14 pm

A buddy hunted near Braidwood today, slow is an understatement. I'm gonna work until I get reliable info from you guys on here. :thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:36 pm

biscuitsandgravy wrote:A buddy hunted near Braidwood today, slow is an understatement. I'm gonna work until I get reliable info from you guys on here. :thumbsup:

Yea, why leave the house when you can get all the reports right here :umm:
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Hopefully no one left the house for the draw today. Oh boy.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Blackfeet Retrievers wrote:
biscuitsandgravy wrote:A buddy hunted near Braidwood today, slow is an understatement. I'm gonna work until I get reliable info from you guys on here. :thumbsup:

I leave the house everyday to go to work, 7-12's. I know a guy or two on here that will let me know when it's time to take a few days off due to my schedule. And no when I do take off work, I won't be at the draw. :thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:24 pm

biscuitsandgravy wrote:
Blackfeet Retrievers wrote:

I leave the house everyday to go to work, 7-12's. I know a guy or two on here that will let me know when it's time to take a few days off due to my schedule. And no when I do take off work, I won't be at the draw. :thumbsup:

That's great, maybe the PM function on this site would be the best way to inform you, since you aren't in a position to scout. There are a lot of us out there that aren't on 7-12's, (4-12's here) that do it the old fashioned way. Guess internet scouting reports are the wave of the future. Too bad I'll never ride that wave. Too old.
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Just had a great idea. I'll stay off the internet till the season is over, then these scouting posts won't piss me off so much :thumbsup:
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Just wondering , who really doesn't go hunting or goes hunting, based on someone's posting on this site????

I go when I can, every chance I can and enjoy every moment . And yep, most of it is on weekends.

Pretty sure we all know when the snow falls and the water freezes the activity picks up. But am sure I will be hammered for this posting :hammer:

Amazing.... A couple weeks ago the temp drops 15 degrees from 60to 45 and the posting of " hunting this front " where so amusing :beer:
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:34 pm

well we got the cold we needed. Problem is it froze the water solid! we broke 1/2" ice this morning and didnt fire a shot. Walked to the refuge and there they were loaded into a small pocket that they were keeping open. Hopefully with the warmer weather this week it will thaw out for a good turkey day hunt!
asmythe32
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Buried my Grandmother Friday , that was a tough day . Went duckn the rest of the weekend , just got home . Great day Saturday , saw tons of birds , then the bottom dropped out Saturday night ! Today was the worst day so far . Ice , ice ,ice ! Pulled some decoys today and hoping for a slight warm up . 31 days left .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Grossy, I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Grossy... Sorry for your loss.

Blackfeet... No reason to stay off the net, I do use the PM function. :beer:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:15 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Grossy, I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences.

x2
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:27 am

Thanks everybody .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:12 am

I can't wait til tomorrow when goose season opens back up. I can't say we got much for new ducks but we did get geese. I mouth called a group of Canada's over us yesterday when my dad and I were tracking his deer. Have seen a lot over the weekend deer hunting and that's at my not very good goose spot. I wonder what my good spots are holding?!?
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:41 pm

I don't get it. I went out and hunted this afternoon hoping to see the fresh birds we should have got and never saw a single duck. Saw lots of geese so at least I have something to pursue but I can't get over why there are no ducks. Anybody have an idea? Never did see much for mallards this year so I'm assuming they're still north of us yet?
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Central zone

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:54 am

Water is locked up. They are on a search for open puddles/open water.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:31 am

I don't understand it either . Only answer I can come up with is that the birds still have access to food . They can always find open water somewhere whether a river or cooling lakes . Local lake hasn't seen any ducks for two weeks . I check other state forums and weather sites looking for snow cover . There doesn't seem to be much if any snow pack anywhere in the US . Freeze up isn't great unless it's accompanied by precipitation . I'm still hunting anyway . I'd think that there is large amounts of ducks yet to move south . They gotta show up at some point . I hope .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:29 am

Take a peek.
Attachments
Snow Coverage.jpg
KillerKowalski
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting