Southern Illinois Hunting Help!!

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Southern Illinois Hunting Help!!

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:08 pm

Hello everyone....

I have a huge problem... well... most wouldnt think its a problem but to me it is. Ill be going to southern illinois unv. in the fall and wont have a place to hunt, and i cant drive home every weekend because its about a 4 hour haul.. if anyone would be willing to help that would be great... Im a pretty good shot and i can hold my own on the calls... Reply back if possible...
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby duckkiller7 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:18 pm

Check down in Union County around all the pay per day places like Davis Farms, Grassy Lake, or any of the other places to see if they will needing any new guides for the fall. You get to hunt, kill, and make a little bit of money all at the same time. All it takes is a little bit of hard work in the off seasons and during the seasons to help out with everything like decoys, brushing blinds or pits, or whatever else needs to be done.
duckkiller7
hunter

Postby 2rivers » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:45 am

I went to SIU also and there are a lot of pretty good places to hunt down there. Oakwood bottoms (flooded timber) is about 15 miles away and at times can be really good with greenheads and woodies. I heard they are having a problem with too much timber dying and it is not as good as it was when I hunted there 8 or so years ago. The "scatters" near oakwood is OK I never hunted there myself. There are alot of clubs down there that I think are probably having lower memberships to get in since the geese don't get down there like they used to every year. Try checking about the Cache river down alittle farther south (45 minute drive). Go to Dunn's sporting goods in Marion or the Wildlife Refuge(store) in Carbondale and ask for places to hunt. If you have a boat Crab Orchard can be decent to really good. A 1.5 hour drive can get you to Carlyle and Rend lake walk-in areas. There are a lot of clubs around Horseshoe lake and Union county refuge that are starting to set areas up for duck hunting like Davis Farms. If you can't find a place to hunt down ther you are'nt trying very hard. As for the guiding for clubs thing I kind of found out that unless you know the owners or their friends that they don't take people in as guides know matter how good a caller you are unless you win a bunch of contests. Good luck with school and hunting IN THAT ORDER,
2rivers
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting